Narrative Web Page on Windows Machines

Tony Gordon
I have created the narrative web page files for my database and copied
the directory onto a CD (they wouldn't all copy to a USB stick for some
reason) and taken it to a relative to show them what information I have.
Although the page worked well off the CD on my Linux system (Ubuntu
6.10), the page only worked in part on the Windows system. I tried to
copy the information from the CD onto their hard drive, thinking that
this might solve the problem, but I received warnings that folders
already existed. On investigation I find that there a directories in the
plc, ppl and src directories that are named 'a' and 'A'.  As I
understand it, Linux is case sensitive but Windows is not, so this would
be the reason for the overwrite warning messages in Windows and I am
assuming is also responsible for some of the pages failing to show.

Is this a bug?

Tony

Gramps 2.2.8
Ubuntu 6.10

Re: Narrative Web Page on Windows Machines

Alex Roitman
On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 15:18 +1200, Tony Gordon wrote:

> I have created the narrative web page files for my database and copied
> the directory onto a CD (they wouldn't all copy to a USB stick for some
> reason) and taken it to a relative to show them what information I have.
> Although the page worked well off the CD on my Linux system (Ubuntu
> 6.10), the page only worked in part on the Windows system. I tried to
> copy the information from the CD onto their hard drive, thinking that
> this might solve the problem, but I received warnings that folders
> already existed. On investigation I find that there a directories in the
> plc, ppl and src directories that are named 'a' and 'A'.  As I
> understand it, Linux is case sensitive but Windows is not, so this would
> be the reason for the overwrite warning messages in Windows and I am
> assuming is also responsible for some of the pages failing to show.
>
> Is this a bug?
Yes, a bug in windows :-)

Seriously, linux is case-sensitive, and so is the world wide web.
So if you placed these pages even on windows web server (IIS),
it would have to play by the rules and serve them in a case-sensitive
manner.

But windows filesystems are usually case insensitive. I have no idea
how to coerce windows into being case-sensitive or whether it is
possible at all. You may want to ask on gramps-windows list.

Good luck,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: Narrative Web Page on Windows Machines

Brian Matherly
>> I have created the narrative web page files for my database and copied
>> the directory onto a CD (they wouldn't all copy to a USB stick for some
>> reason) and taken it to a relative to show them what information I have.
>> Although the page worked well off the CD on my Linux system (Ubuntu
>> 6.10), the page only worked in part on the Windows system. I tried to
>> copy the information from the CD onto their hard drive, thinking that
>> this might solve the problem, but I received warnings that folders
>> already existed. On investigation I find that there a directories in the
>> plc, ppl and src directories that are named 'a' and 'A'.  As I
>> understand it, Linux is case sensitive but Windows is not, so this would
>> be the reason for the overwrite warning messages in Windows and I am
>> assuming is also responsible for some of the pages failing to show.
>>
>> Is this a bug?
>
>Yes, a bug in windows :-)

True.

>Seriously, linux is case-sensitive, and so is the world wide web.
>So if you placed these pages even on windows web server (IIS),
>it would have to play by the rules and serve them in a case-sensitive
>manner.

False. The Window's web server would be confused, I'm quite sure.  Haven't tried it myself, though.

>But windows filesystems are usually case insensitive. I have no idea
>how to coerce windows into being case-sensitive or whether it is
>possible at all. You may want to ask on gramps-windows list.

True - if by "usually" you mean "ALWAYS".

The only possibility I can think of is to make the web page generator act the same in Linux as on Windows. But we left it this way (case sensitive on Linux) to maintain backwards compatility with all the websites that are  already out there. It would be sad to make a user option :(

~Brian