Narrative Web

erik op gmail
Jason,

The only one of those three that includes markup well outside of the
GRAMPS export is Frederick de Richter, but he didn't do it using this
user_header feature. I think this user_header element should be an
optional inclusion WITHIN the existing 'header' element.

With the changes I'm trying to make, customizing the style of the header
by excluding some things and including others would be simple via
editing the html of the primary section pages and/or customizing the CSS
style sheet.

Is there anyone else in particular that would be more familiar with this
aspect of the Narrative Web plugin?

I rewrote large parts of the Narrative .py to suit my needs.  I also struggled with the user-footer concept, but circumvented this.

This was partly to test what could be done and partly to connect to the other parts in the website not related to gramps.

erik

Re: Narrative Web

Jason Simanek-2
Erik,

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 07:49 +0100, Frederik De Richter wrote:
> Jason,
> > The only one of those three that includes markup well outside
> > of the GRAMPS export is Frederick de Richter, but he didn't do it
> > using this user_header feature. I think this user_header element should
> > be an optional inclusion WITHIN the existing 'header' element.

> I rewrote large parts of the Narrative .py to suit my needs.  I also
> struggled with the user-footer concept, but circumvented this.
> This was partly to test what could be done and partly to connect to
> the other parts in the website not related to gramps.

Good to know. I was wondering what you had to do for such a result. I
guess if people really want to customize their site, that door is always
open. The process of downloading the source and compiling GRAMPS with my
custom files has been an education (I am a graphic designer turned web
and open source enthusiast).

Nice site.

I ended up moving the user_header into the 'header' section as a <div/>
element under the site title and the user_footer into the 'footer'
section as a <p/> element before the copyright. I tried putting some
markup into a note for inclusion and it didn't seem to work. GRAMPS
converted the markup into character entities. So I don't see how that
would be a good way to add custom header markup anyway.

-Jason