Narrative web site generation handles entities weirdly

Narrative web site generation handles entities weirdly

Thomas SMETS - disposable add

In the Web site generation, the accented characters are not converted into entities...
For me it is OK but people who would not have a proper encoding installed (UTF-8) may have problem reading the site.
On the other hand, directly encoding HTML-tags in the notes & it works perfectly :)
May be there could be a better option for this ... ?

\T,

--
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand.
Good programmers write code that humans can understand.

Re: Narrative web site generation handles entities weirdly

Alex Roitman
Thomas,

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 13:23 -0800, Thomas SMETS - disposable add wrote:
> In the Web site generation, the accented characters are not converted into entities...
> For me it is OK but people who would not have a proper encoding installed (UTF-8) may have problem reading the site.

I don't think I understand the problem. You generate files in the
unicode, that's it. You don't have to have utf-8 "installed" in
any way, do you? You should have fonts that are able to display
utf8, but any modern browser have that already.

> On the other hand, directly encoding HTML-tags in the notes & it works perfectly :)
> May be there could be a better option for this ... ?

Do you mean to encode non-ascii as &\u1234; and so on?

I think unicode is a good thing, and if somebody's server insists on
overriding the HTML headers with whatever else encoding, then we have
an option for those. But any given server may only override it with
one encoding, so a person only would need one, not all.

Alex

Re: Narrative web site generation handles entities weirdly

Eero Tamminen-3

On Sunday 14 January 2007 23:23, Thomas SMETS - disposable add wrote:
> In the Web site generation, the accented characters are not converted
> into entities... For me it is OK but people who would not have a proper
> encoding installed (UTF-8) may have problem reading the site.

HTML pages are by default UTF-8 and all www-browsers show that fine.

However, it might be that the www-server which you use to serve your
generated www-pages, lies the pages to be in some other encoding.
If www-server claims the page to be in some other encoding than what
the page says, browsers trust the server.  E.g. Apache www-server can
be configured to set the charset for the page.

If you do "lynx -head <www-address to the page>", what's shown as charset?

> On the
> other hand, directly encoding HTML-tags in the notes & it works perfectly
> :) May be there could be a better option for this ... ?

        - Eero

Re: Narrative web site generation handles entities weirdly

Thomas SMETS - disposable add
Hi Alex,

OK, let me try to clarify
I uploaded the generated site here : http://genealogy.tsmets.lautre.net
and more specifically : http://genealogy.tsmets.lautre.net/ppl/2/X/2XXLWN0PZU0K6UMGLL.html (Isidore CACHET).
If you look at the small narative I copied there, U obviously find the following :
<snip>Isidore a été trouvé à l' "Hospice des Enfants trouvés".</snip>
This should be encode as follow :
<snip>Isidore a &eacute;t&eacute; trouv&eacute; &agrave; l&lsquo; &quot;Hospice des Enfants trouv&eacute;s&quot;. </snip>
but it is in the source juste like the first version displayed in this mail (UTF-8 encoded).
If this is fine to me, I have the feeling that some may have troubles displaying it ... (if they don't have UTF-8 encoded).
I would have prefere to have the accented characters converted into entities (second version of the code).

\T,

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 13:03 -0800, Thomas SMETS - disposable add wrote:
> OK, let me try to clarify
> I uploaded the generated site here : http://genealogy.tsmets.lautre.net
> and more specifically : http://genealogy.tsmets.lautre.net/ppl/2/X/2XXLWN0PZU0K6UMGLL.html (Isidore CACHET).
> If you look at the small narative I copied there, U obviously find the following :
> <snip>Isidore a été trouvé à l' "Hospice des Enfants trouvés".</snip>
> This should be encode as follow :
> <snip>Isidore a &eacute;t&eacute; trouv&eacute; &agrave; l&lsquo; &quot;Hospice des Enfants trouv&eacute;s&quot;. </snip>
> but it is in the source juste like the first version displayed in this mail (UTF-8 encoded).
> If this is fine to me, I have the feeling that some may have troubles displaying it ... (if they don't have UTF-8 encoded).

Don't worry, "they" definitely have utf-8 encoding.
All browsers support it now, and have been for quite a while.

> I would have prefere to have the accented characters converted into entities (second version of the code).

Why?

If you just love things that way, then you can write a program
to do it, or find an existing one. Maybe even iconv can do it.

But I fail to see the real need, and if so why would we do it?

Alex

On Monday 15 January 2007 23:03, Thomas SMETS - disposable add wrote:

> OK, let me try to clarify
> I uploaded the generated site here : http://genealogy.tsmets.lautre.net
> and more specifically :
> http://genealogy.tsmets.lautre.net/ppl/2/X/2XXLWN0PZU0K6UMGLL.html
> (Isidore CACHET). If you look at the small narative I copied there, U
> obviously find the following : <snip>Isidore a été trouvé à l' "Hospice
> des Enfants trouvés".</snip> This should be encode as follow :
> <snip>Isidore a &eacute;t&eacute; trouv&eacute; &agrave; l&lsquo;
> &quot;Hospice des Enfants trouv&eacute;s&quot;. </snip> but it is in the
> source juste like the first version displayed in this mail (UTF-8
> encoded). If this is fine to me, I have the feeling that some may have
> troubles displaying it ...

Why?  All browser should support XHTML and UTF-8.
If Browser cannot show some character, it's not a problem
in the page or Browser, but in server like I mentioned earlier,
or user not having required font.  In neither case using symbolic
names helps.

         -Eero