Navigating Combined View

Harvey Nimmo
I wonder if others have experienced this phenomenon when using the
combined view. When selecting the children of a view to navigate down
the tree, the combined view disappears (empty window) after two
generations. The only way I found to obtain a combined view again is to
restart gramps. Is this behaviour normal?

Cheers
Harvey

My configuration:
GRAMPS: 5.1.2
Python: 3.6.10 (default, Jan 16 2020, 09:12:04) ...
BSDDB: 6.2.5 (4, 8, 30)
sqlite: 3.28.0 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Linux

Re: Navigating Combined View

GRAMPS - User mailing list
On 26/05/2020 14:52, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> I wonder if others have experienced this phenomenon when using the
> combined view. When selecting the children of a view to navigate down
> the tree, the combined view disappears (empty window) after two
> generations. The only way I found to obtain a combined view again is to
> restart gramps. Is this behaviour normal?

It's probably a bug.  I'll see if I can reproduce it on the example
database.

Re: Navigating Combined View

Alain AUPEIX
Le 26/05/2020 à 19:06, Nick Hall via Gramps-users a écrit :
On 26/05/2020 14:52, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
I wonder if others have experienced this phenomenon when using the
combined view. When selecting the children of a view to navigate down
the tree, the combined view disappears (empty window) after two
generations. The only way I found to obtain a combined view again is to
restart gramps. Is this behaviour normal?

It's probably a bug.  I'll see if I can reproduce it on the example database.

Nick.

I tried descending more than 5 generations on my database, and no problem ...

Xubuntu 16.04, Gramps 5.1.2

A+
--

Alain Aupeix
Sites web : JujuLand | Pissobi-Lacassagne | Gadel

Re: Navigating Combined View

GRAMPS - User mailing list

I had the same yesterday, but didn't worry too much about it.
I just tried now and the same phenomenon as Harvey described. View disappears and Gramps needs to be restarted.

Using Windows 10.

Lionel.

On 26/05/2020 20:24, Alain Aupeix wrote:
[...]

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier
On 5/26/20 10:06, Nick Hall via Gramps-users wrote:

> On 26/05/2020 14:52, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
>> I wonder if others have experienced this phenomenon when using the
>> combined view. When selecting the children of a view to navigate down
>> the tree, the combined view disappears (empty window) after two
>> generations. The only way I found to obtain a combined view again is to
>> restart gramps. Is this behaviour normal?

Just upgraded Gramps to give the new Combined View a try. It looks
great. And I am seeing a similar issue.

The Combined View starts fine, then when I navigate to some people in
the DB the combined view loses the Timeline and Association panels, plus
Events loose the extra info on sources (images). After loosing the
Timeline and Associations, navigating to any person (new or the base
person I started with) through the combined view and the combined view
is empty. Anything after that and combined view remains empty until
Gramps is restarted.

If I set one of the problem people to be the Home person I get the
following error when switching from the Relationship View (my default on
open) to Combined View:

raceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/Applications/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py",
line 871, in view_changed
     self.__change_page(page_num)
   File
"/Applications/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py",
line 885, in __change_page
     self.active_page.set_active()
   File "/Users/agnes/Library/Application
Support/gramps/gramps51/plugins/CombinedView/navigationview.py", line
169, in set_active
     PageView.set_active(self)
   File
"/Applications/Gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gramps/gui/views/pageview.py",
line 335, in set_active
     self.build_tree()
   File "/Users/agnes/Library/Application
Support/gramps/gramps51/plugins/CombinedView/combinedview.py", line 197,
in build_tree
     self.redraw()
   File "/Users/agnes/Library/Application
Support/gramps/gramps51/plugins/CombinedView/combinedview.py", line 530,
in redraw
     self.change_object(active_person)
   File "/Users/agnes/Library/Application
Support/gramps/gramps51/plugins/CombinedView/combinedview.py", line 544,
in change_object
     return self._change_person(obj[1])
   File "/Users/agnes/Library/Application
Support/gramps/gramps51/plugins/CombinedView/combinedview.py", line 567,
in _change_person
     self.write_album(person)
   File "/Users/agnes/Library/Application
Support/gramps/gramps51/plugins/CombinedView/combinedview.py", line
1370, in write_album
     self.write_media(event.get_media_list(), event)
   File "/Users/agnes/Library/Application
Support/gramps/gramps51/plugins/CombinedView/combinedview.py", line
1387, in write_media
     button.show_all()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'show_all'

Then the combined view opens (albeit with the missing panels), but
Gramps is very cranky by then (busy mouse, other views empy).

I initially had the same "2 generations" issue some people originally
posted but that's because one parent of my base person is one of the
problems. Jumping around using bookmarks, going through the other
parent, or using the person view to set another active person doesn't
trigger the issue. So it is probably a combination of properties on some
persons. Which I can't figure out at a glance.

Hope this helps with debugging,

Agnes, Gramps 5.1.2 on MacOS 10.14.6

On 27/05/2020 00:47, Agnes Charrel-Berthillier wrote:
> Hope this helps with debugging,

Thanks, that helped.  It should be fixed now.

I couldn't reproduce the problem with the empty view though.

Re: Navigating Combined View

Harvey Nimmo
The problem with the empty view seems solved with the latest update
Harvey

On Wed, 2020-05-27 at 19:50 +0100, Nick Hall via Gramps-users wrote:

> On 27/05/2020 00:47, Agnes Charrel-Berthillier wrote:
> > Hope this helps with debugging,
>
> Thanks, that helped.  It should be fixed now.
>
> I couldn't reproduce the problem with the empty view though.
>

> Nick.

Re: Navigating Combined View

emma9158
Thank you for this new update of the combined view, which is rapidly becoming
an essential for working with Gramps.

I wonder, have you considered to add a tab for attributes? I know you asked
a while ago how many were actually using attributes, and I, among others,
replied that I did. In fact, I use them rather extensively, and personally,
I would find a tab for attributes very useful.

If you intend to do any updates in the future, maybe it would also be a
cosmetical improvement to add another blank line or some other kind of
marking between the parents' family and the main person's family (I'm sorry,
I'm using a translated version so I'm not quite sure of the terminology in
english). I'm thinking separating the families could possible make it easier
to distinguish what is what. But, as stated before, already without these
possible enhancements, the combined view is already a must-have that is
working extremely well.

Emma Marie