Nested places - displyed parent not chosen by date?

Nested places - displyed parent not chosen by date?

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

I'm playing around with gramps (still trying to find out what works).

I've discovered today, that places can be nested like city, state, country.

I just chose a City and added all the different states and countries
it belonged to in the past. After this was done, I just chose a
reference to this town and had a look at it.

The displayed place is always the newest parent entry - no matter how
I rearange the list.

Is this intended or did I made something wrong?

Find what I'm talking about here please:

http://img4host.net/upload/082244565a7cc4d85f150.JPG

I woule have expected that "Freistaat Mecklenburg-Schwerin" gets
chosen (vor = before) as this matches 1905-07-11 which is the date of
the event.

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: Nested places - displyed parent not chosen by date?

Philip Weiss
On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 1:51 PM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm playing around with gramps (still trying to find out what works).

I've discovered today, that places can be nested like city, state, country.

I just chose a City and added all the different states and countries it belonged to in the past. After this was done, I just chose a reference to this town and had a look at it.

The displayed place is always the newest parent entry - no matter how I rearange the list.

Is this intended or did I made something wrong?

Find what I'm talking about here please:

http://img4host.net/upload/082244565a7cc4d85f150.JPG

I woule have expected that "Freistaat Mecklenburg-Schwerin" gets chosen (vor = before) as this matches 1905-07-11 which is the date of the event.

Best regards,
Oliver

The event editor always shows the "current" name.  References in reports and event lists and such should show the name as of the event date.  I filed a bug for this a year or so ago, but the sticking point is that the date in the event editor is changeable, so pulling the name to match the date as it is in the edit box is non-trivial.

Try looking at a report with this event, or view it in the a list view (gramplet or the Event view).  See if the name looks correct there.

Phil.

Re: Nested places - displyed parent not chosen by date?

The best way to explain this is that the place record does not 'see'
the date until the event is saved.

What is important is the place name that  displays in the event list
and in reports. Is that correct??

And FYI, editing the event will show that the place will revert to the
newest parent entry. The place no longer sees the date until the event
is saved again.

Dave

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm playing around with gramps (still trying to find out what works).
>
> I've discovered today, that places can be nested like city, state, country.
>
> I just chose a City and added all the different states and countries it
> belonged to in the past. After this was done, I just chose a reference to
> this town and had a look at it.
>
> The displayed place is always the newest parent entry - no matter how I
> rearange the list.
>
> Is this intended or did I made something wrong?
>
> Find what I'm talking about here please:
>
> http://img4host.net/upload/082244565a7cc4d85f150.JPG
>
> I woule have expected that "Freistaat Mecklenburg-Schwerin" gets chosen (vor
> = before) as this matches 1905-07-11 which is the date of the event.
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver

Re: Nested places - displyed parent not chosen by date?

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Dave, Hi Philip,

it is exactly like you say! It is also described on the "Places" wiki page
in the "Known Issues" section. Sorry for the noise! :)

Best regards,
Oliver