Quantcast

Netbook mode

Nick Hall-6
Devs,

What do you think about the netbook mode in trunk?  Does it solve the
size issues on small screens?

Do we want to consider implementing this, or something similar, for
version 3.3, or should it wait for 3.4?

The only feedback that I have got so far was from Rob Healey.  He suggested:

1. Saving the width/height of the sidebar/bottombar.
2. Providing a user preference setting for the netbook mode.

Both of these are an option, but so far I have coded the simplest solution.

Where do we want to go with is?

Re: Netbook mode

robhealey1
Dear Nick:

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Devs,

What do you think about the netbook mode in trunk?  Does it solve the size issues on small screens?

I realize that going forward as a Gramps whole, there needs to be something done regarding smaller screen sizes, including possible cloud and mobile products...

Do we want to consider implementing this, or something similar, for version 3.3, or should it wait for 3.4?

I am not sure about this, as it can add more bugs or take longer to figure out and have a good working solution in place than what should be waited upon for releasing Gramps-3.3.1...

Also as far as I have been told, new stuff goes into the development version only...

The only feedback that I have got so far was from Rob Healey.  He suggested:

1. Saving the width/height of the sidebar/bottombar.
2. Providing a user preference setting for the netbook mode.

1) I believe that this should be done, no matter if netbook mode is used or not...
2) This could be done as an expert option, so it is only editable from within the .gramps/gramps.ini file as is the use of bsddb3 option!  It would be set by default to use the netbook mode if there is a small screen size used, and changed only by the user editing this option file...

Both of these are an option, but so far I have coded the simplest solution.

Where do we want to go with is?

My only problem with this is that to disable it, I must edit the src/DisplayState.py file, and edit line 406 to a smaller 800 or so...

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

"Always surround yourself with people that inspire you to
greatness!"

Re: Netbook mode

Brian Matherly
Nick,

>What do you think about the netbook mode in trunk?  Does it solve the
>size issues on small screens?
>
>Do we want to consider implementing this, or something similar, for
>version 3.3, or should it wait for 3.4?

As
 Rob already mentioned, this shouldn't be moved to the 3.3 branch
because that branch is for bug fixes only. It will be included in the
3.4.0 release.

~Brian

Re: Netbook mode

robhealey1
Dear Brian and Nick:

In my previous post, I hope that I didn't offend anybody?  It is just something that I have to constantly remind myself of this...

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Brian Matherly <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nick,

>What do you think about the netbook mode in trunk?  Does it solve the
>size issues on small screens?
>
>Do we want to consider implementing this, or something similar, for
>version 3.3, or should it wait for 3.4?

As
 Rob already mentioned, this shouldn't be moved to the 3.3 branch
because that branch is for bug fixes only. It will be included in the
3.4.0 release.

~Brian

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

"Always surround yourself with people that inspire you to
greatness!"

Re: Netbook mode

To elaborate on what Brian says,

There where some comments on the blog on 3.3 release about the size of gramps. I told those to do bug tickets (if they ever read my reply). So if there are bug tickets for 3.3 that indicate real problems on a netbook (gramps being larger than the screen), then a fix for that in 3.3 is good.

If it is options for hiding extra things to make more visible, or screen reorganizations, then trunk. It would be nice if you wrote a blog about this coming then in 3.4.

I'm still very busy till beginning of september, should somebody have time to evaluate roadmap of 3.3.1, and if ok ask Stephane to do a release ....

Benny

2011/8/19 Brian Matherly <[hidden email]>
Nick,

>What do you think about the netbook mode in trunk?  Does it solve the
>size issues on small screens?
>
>Do we want to consider implementing this, or something similar, for
>version 3.3, or should it wait for 3.4?

As
 Rob already mentioned, this shouldn't be moved to the 3.3 branch
because that branch is for bug fixes only. It will be included in the
3.4.0 release.

~Brian

Re: Netbook mode

Nick,

> 1. Saving the width/height of the sidebar/bottombar.

Does it mean hard coded width ?
Because length of translation strings could sometimes increase the width
(if need) when translation needs more characters than english string.

I suppose it is only to save the value of the user's screen ?

Regards,
Jérôme

Nick Hall a écrit :

> Devs,
>
> What do you think about the netbook mode in trunk?  Does it solve the
> size issues on small screens?
>
> Do we want to consider implementing this, or something similar, for
> version 3.3, or should it wait for 3.4?
>
> The only feedback that I have got so far was from Rob Healey.  He suggested:
>
> 1. Saving the width/height of the sidebar/bottombar.
> 2. Providing a user preference setting for the netbook mode.
>
> Both of these are an option, but so far I have coded the simplest solution.
>
> Where do we want to go with is?
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick.

Re: Netbook mode

Nick Hall-6
Benny,

Thanks for clarifying this.

The blog comment implied that the user found it impossible to use Gramps 3.3 on his netbook.  He was going to have to use the previous version.  This is why I thought that we might want to regard this as a bug rather than an enhancement.

However, I cannot find a related bug report.  The closest I found were the following:

4128: Display in netbook - problem with navigational activity using 1024*600
4247: Windows too big for UNR
4737: feature: support for 800x480 resolution
5076: Left side of screen cut off

My change only affects the sidebar and bottombar sizes, so it may not even fix this user's problems.

I would like to leave it until so that I can think about it further and code the solution at a leisurely pace.

I have also made enhancements to the Source gramplets, Image Metadata Viewer gramplet and added an Extended Attributes gramplet in trunk.  In an earlier post you suggested that we should not be too overzealous in committing improvements for 3.3.1 - should I release these improvements as third-party addons rather than putting them in 3.3?

On 19/08/11 10:45, Jérôme wrote:

> Nick,
>
>> 1. Saving the width/height of the sidebar/bottombar.
>
> Does it mean hard coded width ?
> Because length of translation strings could sometimes increase the
> width (if need) when translation needs more characters than english
> string.
>
> I suppose it is only to save the value of the user's screen ?

Yes, this would be to save the position of the slider between the panes
as it was set by the user.

I met a small problem when trying to implement this, which is why I
haven't done it yet.  It is a good idea though.

Nick.

> Regards,
> Jérôme
>

> Nick Hall a écrit :
>> Devs,
>>
>> What do you think about the netbook mode in trunk?  Does it solve the
>> size issues on small screens?
>>
>> Do we want to consider implementing this, or something similar, for
>> version 3.3, or should it wait for 3.4?
>>
>> The only feedback that I have got so far was from Rob Healey.  He
>> suggested:
>>
>> 1. Saving the width/height of the sidebar/bottombar.
>> 2. Providing a user preference setting for the netbook mode.
>>
>> Both of these are an option, but so far I have coded the simplest
>> solution.
>>
>> Where do we want to go with is?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nick.

Re: Netbook mode

2011/8/19 Nick Hall <[hidden email]>
[...]

We hate problems after doing a point release. I think you are best suited with these changes to estimate if they are suited for 3.3.1 or not.

I would advise against new third party addons for existing plugins in 3.3, that just increases the burden on us and seems quite confusing towards to user to me. As all users get the screen to update and obtain new addons, it would indicate we think they are good enough for 3.3 but not good enough for the official point release.
Sometimes one just must be able to wait for the next release to get a new feature.

Benny.

On 19/08/11 15:26, Benny Malengier wrote:

[...]

Yes, these are clearly new features, so I will leave them until 3.4.

I will not release them as third-party gramplets either.

Nick.

Benny.

On 19/08/11 07:39, Benny Malengier wrote:
To elaborate on what Brian says,

There where some comments on the blog on 3.3 release about the size of gramps. I told those to do bug tickets (if they ever read my reply). So if there are bug tickets for 3.3 that indicate real problems on a netbook (gramps being larger than the screen), then a fix for that in 3.3 is good.

If it is options for hiding extra things to make more visible, or screen reorganizations, then trunk. It would be nice if you wrote a blog about this coming then in 3.4.

I'm still very busy till beginning of september, should somebody have time to evaluate roadmap of 3.3.1, and if ok ask Stephane to do a release ....

Benny

2011/8/19 Brian Matherly <[hidden email]>
Nick,

>What do you think about the netbook mode in trunk?  Does it solve the
>size issues on small screens?
>
>Do we want to consider implementing this, or something similar, for
>version 3.3, or should it wait for 3.4?

As
 Rob already mentioned, this shouldn't be moved to the 3.3 branch
because that branch is for bug fixes only. It will be included in the
3.4.0 release.

~Brian

Re: Netbook mode

rabideau
Is there anything available for a Netbook/ small screen format for geek like me to break... I mean test?

...mark

Re: Netbook mode

Nick Hall-6
On 30/10/11 13:25, rabideau wrote:
> Is there anything available for a Netbook/ small screen format for geek like
> me to break... I mean test?

There isn't much special code for small screens at the moment.  Some
users commented that the sidebar and bottombar looked rather large on
netbook screens.  The netbook mode was an attempt to make things look
better.

By doing a quick google it looks like that most netbooks run on a
1024x600 resolution with a good proportion also using 800x480.  I think
that most of Gramps should work well at 1024x600.  I expect some
limitations with 800x480, for example scrollbars on the sidebar.  The
Preferences screen will also be too big for 800x480.

What resolution(s) do you use?  Please let us know if you experience any
usability problems.

Nick.

> ...mark

Re: Netbook mode

rabideau
Hi Nick

I frequently use an eeePC running with a 1024x600 screen.  The only regularly encountered app problem with my eeePC involves screen height... and I'm not certain it happens often, if ever, in GRAMPS.  However, I still think it would be very nice to offer a screen height & width setting preference option on GRAMPS for those folks using extra large or odd sized screens.  I find that option helps me a lot in other apps.

Thanks for all you and the team do.  I appreciate it immensely.

Pax Vobiscum,
...mark (Mark Rabideau)

Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
Snail mail at: 711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
phone:+1.303.660.9400  fax:+1.303.660.9217
member: Association of Professional Genealogists & National Genealogical Society
"It’s always useful to know where a friend-and-relation is, whether you want him or whether you don’t."

Rabbit, Pooh’s Little Instruction Book (Winnie the Pooh)

On 30/10/11 17:38, Mark F Rabideau wrote:
Hi Nick

I frequently use an eeePC running with a 1024x600 screen.  The only regularly encountered app problem with my eeePC involves screen height... and I'm not certain it happens often, if ever, in GRAMPS.  However, I still think it would be very nice to offer a screen height & width setting preference option on GRAMPS for those folks using extra large or odd sized screens.  I find that option helps me a lot in other apps.

I certainly think that we need to support the 1024x600 screen resolution.  If someone could come up with a good requirements specification, then I would be willing to spend some time working on it.

Nick.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Get your Android app more play: Bring it to the BlackBerry PlayBook in minutes. BlackBerry App World&#153; now supports Android&#153; Apps for the BlackBerry&reg; PlayBook&#153;. Discover just how easy and simple it is! http://p.sf.net/sfu/android-dev2dev