New Event

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Event

Moon
Hi

I'm a new user of gramps (I have no experience of programming or writing software).

Is there a way of adding your own custom event?

A few members of my family did voluntary work and I would like to be able to add these events as there are certificates for certain periods of their time in the organisations.

I couldn't see an existing event that I could use.

Regards
Moon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Event

Philip Weiss
Gramps is great that way.  All you need to do is type in the custom event you want instead of "Birth" or "Residence" in the same space.

Phil.


On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 8:43 AM, moonlustie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I'm a new user of gramps (I have no experience of programming or writing software).

Is there a way of adding your own custom event?

A few members of my family did voluntary work and I would like to be able to add these events as there are certificates for certain periods of their time in the organisations.

I couldn't see an existing event that I could use.

Regards
Moon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Event

Ron Johnson
In reply to this post by Moon
Note that the ability to add a new event is *not* intuitive.

On 02/09/2014 10:52 AM, Philip Weiss wrote:
Gramps is great that way.  All you need to do is type in the custom event you want instead of "Birth" or "Residence" in the same space.

Phil.


On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 8:43 AM, moonlustie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I'm a new user of gramps (I have no experience of programming or writing software).

Is there a way of adding your own custom event?

A few members of my family did voluntary work and I would like to be able to add these events as there are certificates for certain periods of their time in the organisations.

I couldn't see an existing event that I could use.

Regards
Moon


-- 
Carrot juice constitutes murder; Greenhouses prisons for slaves.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Event

Nick Hall-6
The wiki manual isn't very helpful either:

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.4_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_2#Editing_information_about_events

We started compiling a list of custom event types.

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Custom_Event_Types

I'll add "Voluntary Work".  :)


Nick.


On 09/02/14 17:00, Ron Johnson wrote:
Note that the ability to add a new event is *not* intuitive.

On 02/09/2014 10:52 AM, Philip Weiss wrote:
Gramps is great that way.  All you need to do is type in the custom event you want instead of "Birth" or "Residence" in the same space.

Phil.


On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 8:43 AM, moonlustie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I'm a new user of gramps (I have no experience of programming or writing software).

Is there a way of adding your own custom event?

A few members of my family did voluntary work and I would like to be able to add these events as there are certificates for certain periods of their time in the organisations.

I couldn't see an existing event that I could use.

Regards
Moon


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Event

Moon
In reply to this post by Moon
Thanks Ron & Phil - I have managed it

Regards
Moon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
Read the Whitepaper.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Event

Judy
In reply to this post by Nick Hall-6

On Sun, 2014-02-09 at 17:31 +0000, Nick Hall wrote:

> The wiki manual isn't very helpful either:
>
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.4_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_2#Editing_information_about_events
>
> We started compiling a list of custom event types.
>
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Custom_Event_Types
>
> I'll add "Voluntary Work".  :)
>
>
> Nick.


Hi Nick,

Just a suggestion and I hope it will be helpful, but would it be
possible to add the following to the “Events List”:

 'Surname Variants' and 'Surname History' under 'Family or Origin',  I'm
not sure where that type of Family Group information should go, so it
does not appear too repetitive?. Obviously it does not need to be on
ever single page, even though it applies to all people of a particular
linage. The evolution of some Surname variants can be very interesting
and revealing.

'Orphanage Admission' + 'Orphanage Discharge' + 'Fostered' + 'Workhouse
Admission' + Workhouse Discharge' under 'Family Records or
Residents?' (not sure which).

'Enlistment Attestation (UK)' and 'Military Award[s]' under 'Military'.

'Deed' + 'Named Executor' + 'Beneficiary' + 'Advocate' under 'Legal or
Role?'

'Deportation' + 'Occupational Posting' under 'Travel'

'Freehold Property' + 'Leasehold Property' + 'Land Acreage' and 'Land
Acquisition' under 'Property'

Finally, where would I put 'old obsolete occupation definitions?'.  I am
still trying to get my head around the specifics, but I can see that
Gramps Events do allow for a considerable amount of subcategories i.e.
where is says 'description'. So that's great.

Thanks

from Judy


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Android&trade; apps run on BlackBerry&reg;10
Introducing the new BlackBerry 10.2.1 Runtime for Android apps.
Now with support for Jelly Bean, Bluetooth, Mapview and more.
Get your Android app in front of a whole new audience.  Start now.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=124407151&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Event

Benny Malengier



2014-02-10 17:51 GMT+01:00 Judy <[hidden email]>:

On Sun, 2014-02-09 at 17:31 +0000, Nick Hall wrote:
> The wiki manual isn't very helpful either:
>
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.4_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_2#Editing_information_about_events
>
> We started compiling a list of custom event types.
>
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Custom_Event_Types
>
> I'll add "Voluntary Work".  :)
>
>
> Nick.


Hi Nick,

Just a suggestion and I hope it will be helpful, but would it be
possible to add the following to the “Events List”:

 'Surname Variants' and 'Surname History' under 'Family or Origin',  I'm
not sure where that type of Family Group information should go, so it
does not appear too repetitive?. Obviously it does not need to be on
ever single page, even though it applies to all people of a particular
linage. The evolution of some Surname variants can be very interesting
and revealing.

'Orphanage Admission' + 'Orphanage Discharge' + 'Fostered' + 'Workhouse
Admission' + Workhouse Discharge' under 'Family Records or
Residents?' (not sure which).

'Enlistment Attestation (UK)' and 'Military Award[s]' under 'Military'.

'Deed' + 'Named Executor' + 'Beneficiary' + 'Advocate' under 'Legal or
Role?'

'Deportation' + 'Occupational Posting' under 'Travel'

'Freehold Property' + 'Leasehold Property' + 'Land Acreage' and 'Land
Acquisition' under 'Property'

Finally, where would I put 'old obsolete occupation definitions?'.  I am
still trying to get my head around the specifics, but I can see that
Gramps Events do allow for a considerable amount of subcategories i.e.
where is says 'description'. So that's great.

Thanks

from Judy

Judy,

You can add those yourself to the wiki. It is a collaborative work, you only need a login.
Most of these seem sensible to me, however, some notes:

1. It is better to work with less root events, and instead use description for subevents. This because we can make specific code for the root events, eg migration can be shown in the map view. Hence think carefully if they really should be new events

2. Deportation under travel seems a bit strange. Perhaps a War section, or under Military? Under Military I see Evacuation, so that fits with Deportation.

3. Advocate and Named executor seem like custom roles to me, not events

Benny



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Android&trade; apps run on BlackBerry&reg;10
Introducing the new BlackBerry 10.2.1 Runtime for Android apps.
Now with support for Jelly Bean, Bluetooth, Mapview and more.
Get your Android app in front of a whole new audience.  Start now.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=124407151&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Android apps run on BlackBerry 10
Introducing the new BlackBerry 10.2.1 Runtime for Android apps.
Now with support for Jelly Bean, Bluetooth, Mapview and more.
Get your Android app in front of a whole new audience.  Start now.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=124407151&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Event

Nick Hall-6
In reply to this post by Judy
Judy,

As Benny has already said, please feel free to update wiki page. The
object of the page was a place to gather ideas.

I'll add a few comments below:


On 10/02/14 16:51, Judy wrote:
> Just a suggestion and I hope it will be helpful, but would it be
> possible to add the following to the “Events List”:
>
>   'Surname Variants' and 'Surname History' under 'Family or Origin',  I'm
> not sure where that type of Family Group information should go, so it
> does not appear too repetitive?. Obviously it does not need to be on
> ever single page, even though it applies to all people of a particular
> linage. The evolution of some Surname variants can be very interesting
> and revealing.

You could put surname information in a note.  Notes can be shared
between multiple people.


>
> 'Orphanage Admission' + 'Orphanage Discharge' + 'Fostered' + 'Workhouse
> Admission' + Workhouse Discharge' under 'Family Records or
> Residents?' (not sure which).

These could be Residence events.  The place could be the workhouse or
orphanage and the date would be a range between the admission and
discharge dates.  You would probably have two sources for the event:
one for the admission and another for the discharge.

Use the event description for extra information.


> 'Enlistment Attestation (UK)' and 'Military Award[s]' under 'Military'.

An enlistment attestation could be a source for a Military Service
event.  I suggested a generic Award event type, but there is nothing
wrong with using "Military Award" or perhaps "Medal".


>
> 'Deed' + 'Named Executor' + 'Beneficiary' + 'Advocate' under 'Legal or
> Role?'

Yes, these seem to be roles rather than event types.


> 'Deportation' + 'Occupational Posting' under 'Travel'

Yes.  This was the sort of thing I was looking for.


> 'Freehold Property' + 'Leasehold Property' + 'Land Acreage' and 'Land
> Acquisition' under 'Property'

Maybe these should be property events.  Put "Freehold", "Leasehold",
"Land Acreage" in the description field.

Some people like to create extra event types though.  Have a look at the
suggestions in the Legal section - I would suggest using fewer event
types and using the description field.


> Finally, where would I put 'old obsolete occupation definitions?'.  I am
> still trying to get my head around the specifics, but I can see that
> Gramps Events do allow for a considerable amount of subcategories i.e.
> where is says 'description'. So that's great.

Yes.  When using an event type of "Occupation" put the actual occupation
in the description.  Use notes for definitions.


Nick.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Android apps run on BlackBerry 10
Introducing the new BlackBerry 10.2.1 Runtime for Android apps.
Now with support for Jelly Bean, Bluetooth, Mapview and more.
Get your Android app in front of a whole new audience.  Start now.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=124407151&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users