New Extended Attribute bottombar gramplets

New Extended Attribute bottombar gramplets

Nick Hall-6
Devs,

Following Gary's suggestion I have created a couple of Extended
Attribute bottombar gramplets:

Extended Person Attributes
Extended Family Attributes

These add attributes in event references for people and families,
together with the event date.

I could also add attributes in media references with the media date, but
I haven't done so yet.  Unlike the new sources gramplets I don't try to
find attributes in child objects.

At the moment you can find these gramplets in gramps-addons in trunk.

Let me know what you think.

Re: New Extended Attribute bottombar gramplets

Gary Burton
Hello Nick,

Thanks for implementing this. It pretty much works as I expected and is particularly useful for giving a consolidated view of attribute data stored by your Census gramplet.

Rather than open the attribute quickview on double-click, I have changed the action on my local version to open whichever is the appropriate editor window for an attribute to give easy access to the attribute tab for editing. So, an attribute from an event reference brings up the event reference editor, a person attribute brings up the person editor and so on. I felt this was a more natural action and fits better with the way the event and source gramplets work.

If you think that is an improvement, let me know and I will commit the changes.

Bye

Gary

> Following Gary's suggestion I have created a couple of Extended
> Attribute bottombar gramplets:
>
> Extended Person Attributes
> Extended Family Attributes
>
> These add attributes in event references for people and families,
> together with the event date.
>
> I could also add attributes in media references with the media date, but
> I haven't done so yet.  Unlike the new sources gramplets I don't try to
> find attributes in child objects.
>
> At the moment you can find these gramplets in gramps-addons in trunk.
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> Nick.

Re: New Extended Attribute bottombar gramplets

Nick Hall-6
Gary,

Yes, this is definitely an improvement.  Feel free to commit your changes.

The first bottombar gramplets I wrote were intended to demonstrate the
concept.  I never had the time to go back and check that everything was
consistent.  The idea of opening the attribute quickview came from the
existing attributes gramplet.  I think most other gramplets open editors
on a double-click.

On 03/07/11 21:28, Gary Burton wrote:

> Hello Nick,
>
> Thanks for implementing this. It pretty much works as I expected and is particularly useful for giving a consolidated view of attribute data stored by your Census gramplet.
>
> Rather than open the attribute quickview on double-click, I have changed the action on my local version to open whichever is the appropriate editor window for an attribute to give easy access to the attribute tab for editing. So, an attribute from an event reference brings up the event reference editor, a person attribute brings up the person editor and so on. I felt this was a more natural action and fits better with the way the event and source gramplets work.
>

> If you think that is an improvement, let me know and I will commit the changes.
>
> Bye
>
> Gary

robhealey1
Dear Gary:

It sounds as if your additions would be awesome for Gramps to have that ability to open which object reference or object that is corresponding to that attribute!

I would like it if you would commit your changes to the whole of Gramps...

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Gary Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Nick,

Thanks for implementing this. It pretty much works as I expected and is particularly useful for giving a consolidated view of attribute data stored by your Census gramplet.

Rather than open the attribute quickview on double-click, I have changed the action on my local version to open whichever is the appropriate editor window for an attribute to give easy access to the attribute tab for editing. So, an attribute from an event reference brings up the event reference editor, a person attribute brings up the person editor and so on. I felt this was a more natural action and fits better with the way the event and source gramplets work.

If you think that is an improvement, let me know and I will commit the changes.

Bye

Gary

> Following Gary's suggestion I have created a couple of Extended
> Attribute bottombar gramplets:
>
> Extended Person Attributes
> Extended Family Attributes
>
> These add attributes in event references for people and families,
> together with the event date.
>
> I could also add attributes in media references with the media date, but
> I haven't done so yet.  Unlike the new sources gramplets I don't try to
> find attributes in child objects.
>
> At the moment you can find these gramplets in gramps-addons in trunk.
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> Nick.

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

"Always surround yourself with people that inspire you to
greatness!"

Re: New Extended Attribute bottombar gramplets

Gary Burton
Changes committed.

Bye

Gary

> Yes, this is definitely an improvement.  Feel free to commit your changes.
>
> The first bottombar gramplets I wrote were intended to demonstrate the
> concept.  I never had the time to go back and check that everything was
> consistent.  The idea of opening the attribute quickview came from the
> existing attributes gramplet.  I think most other gramplets open editors
> on a double-click.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick.

Re: New Extended Attribute bottombar gramplets

robhealey1
Dear Gary:

Thank you for being willing to share your personal changes with the rest of us!  I know that I appreciate it...

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey