New Member Here

victorengel
Hello,

I'm a new member here. This post is mainly to confirm the subscription process worked correctly. So that it's not completely a waste of time for everyone else, I have the following question.

I recently downloaded a GED file from ancestry.com and used it to start a new database in gramps. I'd like to ensure the places are set up correctly in an organized way. My idea for doing that is to work on places as I go through all the people, first in ahnentafel order, then everyone else.

What I'd like to do is for each person, to be able to list all places associated with that person that have an unknown type, since those are the ones I will not have worked through yet. Is there a way I can efficiently select those?

Let's say I'm currently working on Joe Blow. I would like a listing of all places associated with Joe Blow whose type is Unknown. How do I do that?

Victor

Re: New Member Here

victorengel
Thanks for your suggestions. It looks like cleanup will be daunting. Perhaps I'll look into accessing the database directly. I've been a database programmer for years, so if I can figure out how to access the database directly, that might be the easiest way to accomplish what I'm after. Defining a view that joins people, events, and places seems like it should be very straightforward. Then just sort on people.

In addition to place cleanup (you're right about lat. and long. not being present), I have similar issues with media. A particular item that is a media item on ancestry.com and associated with multiple people gets imported into gramps as a separate media item for each person. What a pain! I can resolve some of this by doing merges, but for reasons that escape me, Gramps does not allow merge of multiple items. You must have exactly two. Perhaps someone has created a gramplet to merge multiple items? This seems like such an obvious item to have and could be executed inductively by using the binary merge.

Victor

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 2:59 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Victor,

Places are associated with Events (Birth, Death, Occupation) rather than People. And then Events are associated with People. So most features don't show Place types when looking at a Person.

Your suggested work plan would need to set up a cascade of filters: a People filter that matches Joe Blow; an Event filter that matches Events for the Joe Blow People filter; a Places with a standard Type of 'Unknown' and a  custom filter that finds Places with the Filtered Events. Painful but doable!

Alternately, you could approach the task as you suggest using a standard feature. But it would use a pinned map interface rather than a list. So it would not be very systematic nor efficient:
In the Geography, the "All known places for one Person" will show pins on a map for the Active person. The more events at that place, the larger the pin. But it doesn't filter for Place types like 'Unknown'.
Also, Place pins only appear when the Latitude and Longitude have been defined for a place. My guess is your Places tree won't have those defined yet.

You could clean Unknowns from the Place tree in order magnitude of impact. Say you want to find Places of Unknown type used in more than 500 Events.

Using the Filter gramplet in the Places sidebar,
1) select 'Unknown' for the Type;
2) edit the 'None' Custom filter to create a new custom filter.
    define the Name as 'Reference Count'
    add to the Rule list:
        General filters: 'Places with a reference count of <count>'  'greater than' 500
When you 'Find' those Places, you can attack the biggest problems first. Then tweak the Ciunt filter value and 'Find' the next targets.

Remember to properly define the 'Enclosed by' in addition to defining the type & lat/long coordinates. (A building could be enclosed by a Neighborhood inside a Township inside a County inside a State inside a Country inside a Continent.)

As an aside, I've found it useful to supplement The standard Place type with 'Cemetery'. I find a need to filter on that type frequently.

 Subject: [Gramps-users] New Member Here
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Monday, July 16, 2018, 11:00 AM

 Hello,

--------------------------

Re: New Member Here

Ouch! Didn't realize that we getting ourselves into a peck of picked python.

Ron... Interesting about the v5 migration to SQLite. In the Manage Family trees of Win32 RC1, Gramps still lists the new trees as BSDDB type. Is there a conversation that we need to trigger?

Victor... I strongly recommend that you do any experimenting on a disposable tree created by importing the 'example.gramps' or 'data.gramps' sample trees included with your installation.
  See https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Example.gramps

These sample trees give common testbed to reproduce your issues in other version & OS flavors of Gramps. As you won't back yourself into a corner.

I've recently imported 2 copies of data.gramps to do experiments in merging. It was discouraging to see that Identical files created duplicates at all levels. ... particularly the Place Tree.  And the merge of 2 (and only 2) items is laborious.

Perhaps it would be less of a pickle to do scripted merges on a '.gramps' XML structured text backup file?  (I can't see trying such a process on the original GEDcom because there are so many quirks between everybody's implementation of this 'standard')

There are lots of other Export formats. Is there a suggestion which could be edited externally?  It HAS to be one where Gramps will properly accept Shared record relationships.

There has to be a better way off recombining all these clones of Sources & Citations into Shares of a unique instance.

 Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] New Member Here
 To: [hidden email]

Re: New Member Here

victorengel
That is really, really cumbersome. The way I was hoping for was to be able to customize the Events listing: Go to People view and click on Joe Blow. At the bottom, click on the Events tab. This lists the places, but doesn't show the type for each place. It should be visible there. Any property of a Place should be able to be displayed next to the place.

Maybe it's possible to do something simple like changing the separator character from a comma to something else that makes it immediately apparent?

Victor

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dave Scheipers
In the clipboards, place names show as the value, which depending on
other items in the list may expand the title field pushing the value
column out of view.

What you actually need is a visual cue that shows that a place in the
list of events has not yet been cleaned. All upper case signifying
uncleaned, Title case showing it has been cleaned. But I do not know
of an easy way to make all the place records capitalized.

The alternative is to put a Needs Cleaning tag on the people. and when
you clean the person you do the places. Each person will probably only
have a few places in their events and these can easily be checked to
verify they have been cleaned.

You can easily create a 'Needs Cleaning' tag and then attach it
globally to all people. Set your view to People, select all the
people, and then set the tag. The same can be done for all places. As
you clean your records, remove the tag from the people and the places.
Giving the tag a color will show the items yet to be cleaned in the
view lists.

Just a suggestion, Dave

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 10:07 AM, Victor Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, annoyingly, the place name does not display in the clipboard. The
> clipboard is really handy, but if you can't tell what something is in the
> clipboard, the functionality is reduced considerably. It looks like the
> clipboard wants to display the title, but there is no title in the Place
> edit screen. Otherwise, I'd simply add the title there.
>
> Victor
>
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You can use custom filters to find the places you want.  For places
>> associated with Joe Blow, go to person view, and define a custom filter that
>> has Joe Blow (use his id or name).  Then go to Events view and define a
>> custom filter that has events associated with Person filter (Joe Blow).
>> Then go to Place view and define a custom filter that shows Places from
>> event filter (use the event filter you just defined).  If you only want
>> Unknowns, then add in another rule to select only Unknowns, and require both
>> rules to be used at once.
>>
>> Note that this will get places associated with events, but ignores
>> Addresses, which are not really Places.  Depending on the Gedcom source,
>> your persons may not have any of these.
>>
>> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Filters
>>
>> Paul C.
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 11:00 AM Victor Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm a new member here. This post is mainly to confirm the subscription
>>> process worked correctly. So that it's not completely a waste of time for
>>> everyone else, I have the following question.
>>>
>>> I recently downloaded a GED file from ancestry.com and used it to start a
>>> new database in gramps. I'd like to ensure the places are set up correctly
>>> in an organized way. My idea for doing that is to work on places as I go
>>> through all the people, first in ahnentafel order, then everyone else.
>>>
>>> What I'd like to do is for each person, to be able to list all places
>>> associated with that person that have an unknown type, since those are the
>>> ones I will not have worked through yet. Is there a way I can efficiently
>>> select those?
>>>
>>> Let's say I'm currently working on Joe Blow. I would like a listing of
>>> all places associated with Joe Blow whose type is Unknown. How do I do that?
>>>
>>> Victor

Re: New Member Here

victorengel
Places show ID in the clipboard for title, which is pretty useless, unless I also keep my own reference. I shouldn't have to track IDs which are used internally by the app. That's bad UI/UX. I suspect this is an issue introduced with changing places to be hierarchical/automatic. I'm new to Gramps, so this is just speculation on my part.

Victor

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> process worked correctly. So that it's not completely a waste of time for
>>> everyone else, I have the following question.
>>>
>>> I recently downloaded a GED file from ancestry.com and used it to start a
>>> new database in gramps. I'd like to ensure the places are set up correctly
>>> in an organized way. My idea for doing that is to work on places as I go
>>> through all the people, first in ahnentafel order, then everyone else.
>>>
>>> What I'd like to do is for each person, to be able to list all places
>>> associated with that person that have an unknown type, since those are the
>>> ones I will not have worked through yet. Is there a way I can efficiently
>>> select those?
>>>
>>> Let's say I'm currently working on Joe Blow. I would like a listing of
>>> all places associated with Joe Blow whose type is Unknown. How do I do that?

Re: New Member Here

Dave Scheipers
There are four columns in a clipboard: Type, Title, Value, Family Tree

The place name will show in the Value column

You can shrink and grow columns. Sometimes, without shrinking the
columns, other items in the clipboard list will cause the Title column
to expand "pushing" the Value column out of view.

However, if you do not have the "Enable automatic place name
generation" checked in Preferences and the Place record's Title field
is blank, nothing will display in the Value column.

HTH Dave

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 3:10 PM, Victor Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Places show ID in the clipboard for title, which is pretty useless, unless I
> also keep my own reference. I shouldn't have to track IDs which are used
> internally by the app. That's bad UI/UX. I suspect this is an issue
> introduced with changing places to be hierarchical/automatic. I'm new to
> Gramps, so this is just speculation on my part.
>
> Victor
>
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> In the clipboards, place names show as the value, which depending on
>> other items in the list may expand the title field pushing the value
>> column out of view.
>>
>> What you actually need is a visual cue that shows that a place in the
>> list of events has not yet been cleaned. All upper case signifying
>> uncleaned, Title case showing it has been cleaned. But I do not know
>> of an easy way to make all the place records capitalized.
>>
>> The alternative is to put a Needs Cleaning tag on the people. and when
>> you clean the person you do the places. Each person will probably only
>> have a few places in their events and these can easily be checked to
>> verify they have been cleaned.
>>
>> You can easily create a 'Needs Cleaning' tag and then attach it
>> globally to all people. Set your view to People, select all the
>> people, and then set the tag. The same can be done for all places. As
>> you clean your records, remove the tag from the people and the places.
>> Giving the tag a color will show the items yet to be cleaned in the
>> view lists.
>>
>> Just a suggestion, Dave
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 10:07 AM, Victor Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Also, annoyingly, the place name does not display in the clipboard. The
>> > clipboard is really handy, but if you can't tell what something is in
>> > the
>> > clipboard, the functionality is reduced considerably. It looks like the
>> > clipboard wants to display the title, but there is no title in the Place
>> > edit screen. Otherwise, I'd simply add the title there.
>> >
>> > Victor

Re: New Member Here

Hello Victor,

I recently downloaded a GED file from ancestry.com and used it to start a new database in gramps. I'd like to ensure the places are set up correctly in an organized way. My idea for doing that is to work on places as I go through all the people, first in ahnentafel order, then everyone else.
Wouldn't it be much easier if you just do this by alphabet, or by sorting the places by type? You'll get the unknown types in a group then, or use a filter for type unknown, and work through those one by one. That's quite boring, but the work has to be done anyway, and you may find a couple of spelling mistakes too, if you do it that way.

On the subject of databases, you don't have to wait till Gramps writes json to the backend, in SQLite, because you can already export your tree to a normalized SQLite database, clean it up using whatever tool that you like, and then import it back. This is a lossless operation, I think, so the risk is quite low.

Re: New Member Here

victorengel
I'm going through all the people anyway, working first on media. I figured while I was at it, I'd work on places at the same time. Besides, places tend to be related to people because related people tend to be at the same place. Also, going in alphabetical order by place, I wouldn't get a feeling of accomplishment, since I wouldn't really see the end of the tunnel until nearly finished. Going in order by people, if I can get everything related to people done at the same time, I could feel like I completed everything to do with families, working from the most closely related to most distant relatives. The more closely related, the more important they are to me. I'm relatively unconcerned about the accuracy of a place for the mother of the husband of my 8th cousin.

Victor

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 2:36 PM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Victor,

[...]

Thanks. That hidden column thing was the issue. I had no idea there were other columns. I was able to shrink the existing ones by first expanding the clipboard view. Is there another way to shrink columns if you can't reach the edge to drag it?