New Version

Jürgen Heiler
Dear all,

Wouldn't it have been better to publish the new version when the translation
is cpmpleted? It is rather disappointing.

Regards
Jürgen Heiler

Re: New Version

Anton Huber
Hello Jürgen,
well, I'm the german translator (next to Martin Hawlisch). We're sorry.
I worked hard in the last week, but i haven't much time....having
stress. But i did only accomplish the untranslated strings (last week
more than 250!!), but there were still more than 600 strings! Martin and
I worked hard since the release to abate it. Now we are around 280 fuzzy
strings). But we haven't much time, but i hope we can finish it before
this weekend or the next release. We haven't both much time....but we
can always need help from our persons ;-)

Best regards,

Anton Huber

Am Mittwoch, den 01.11.2006, 20:52 +0100 schrieb Jürgen Heiler:

> Dear all,
>
> Wouldn't it have been better to publish the new version when the translation
> is cpmpleted? It is rather disappointing.
>
> Regards
> Jürgen Heiler

Re: New Version

Alex Roitman
Dear Jürgen,

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 20:52 +0100, Jürgen Heiler wrote:
> Wouldn't it have been better to publish the new version when the translation
> is cpmpleted?

Would you like to contribute to the translation?

>  It is rather disappointing.

Perhaps it would be less disappointing if you helped.

Alex

Re: New Version

Duncan Lithgow
On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 20:52 +0100, Jürgen Heiler wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Wouldn't it have been better to publish the new version when the translation
> is cpmpleted? It is rather disappointing.

So Jürgen - da haben Sie es. Keiner kriegen Geld für GRAMPS so alles ist
freiwillig, man soll aufpassen was man sagst wenn man nicht zufress ist.
Und jetzt wissen Sie wem Sie helfen können...

Duncan
(mein deutsch ist einmal besser gewesen)
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: New Version

Jürgen Heiler
Dear all,

First of all I want to congratulate eyeryone who has been contributing  to the
successfull gramps project. It is a great app and the new version brings
usefull new features. I never intended to critizise any person for not
completing the translation.
It is not a problem for me to use a "bilangual" GUI, I don't know if every
german user can do. But I am not prepared to communicate or print things that
are partly not translated. So I will return to the earlier version and wait
for 2.2 or so. This is what I called disappointing, because this release is
useless for me.
And so I really do not understand why the project management published the
release at this point instead of waiting until December or January.

This is not the first opportunity for me to recognize that communication in
this mailing-list is very challenging. I will retire.

Jürgen Heiler

Am Mittwoch, 1. November 2006 21:03 schrieb Alex Roitman:

> Dear Jürgen,
>
> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 20:52 +0100, Jürgen Heiler wrote:
> > Wouldn't it have been better to publish the new version when the
> > translation is cpmpleted?
>
> Would you like to contribute to the translation?
>
> >  It is rather disappointing.
>
> Perhaps it would be less disappointing if you helped.
>
> Alex

Re: New Version

Alex Roitman
Dear Jürgen,

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 17:32 +0100, Jürgen Heiler wrote:
> It is not a problem for me to use a "bilangual" GUI, I don't know if every
> german user can do. But I am not prepared to communicate or print things that
> are partly not translated. So I will return to the earlier version and wait
> for 2.2 or so. This is what I called disappointing, because this release is
> useless for me.

This is definitely your perfect right.
The question is how to fix the situation.

> And so I really do not understand why the project management published the
> release at this point instead of waiting until December or January.

The reason is, unless the program is released and tested in use,
the missing translations will never be found/fixed. We can
wait another 3 years with very little result.

Instead, we release it in its "disappointing" state and then we hope
for German-speaking users (and other languages as well) to identify
the shortcomings. Then they are easy to correct.

> This is not the first opportunity for me to recognize that communication in
> this mailing-list is very challenging. I will retire.

I apologize if I came out too harsh, but no offense was intended.
I stand by my earlier suggestion: if you could contribute to improve
the German translation then the next version would definitely be less
disappointing. It is not very hard, and you don't have to be a
programmer to do it. Please consider helping gramps so that it
suits your needs. This is how the free/open source software works:
everybody does what they can and then everybody benefits.

Regards,
Alex

Re: New Version

Dirk Weßner
Guten Abend Jürgen,

try the new version 2.2.2. To me it seems that the german translation
works fine now.

Greetings,
Dirk.

Re: New Version

Alex Roitman
Dirk,

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 18:24 +0100, Dirk Weßner wrote:
> try the new version 2.2.2. To me it seems that the german translation
> works fine now.

The de.po file shows about 300 fuzzy strings, meaning that those
will not show up in the program. It is better than 2.2.1 but
still not perfect.

Also, as a translator myself (I do Russian translation) I know
that simply coming up with some translation is far from making
a good and usable translation. What looks OK out of context
may look funny or weird in report.

So the translation is an ongoing process. It would be a real
help (I mean it!) if the users identified the problems with the
translation and then contacted the translators and worked with
them to fix it. The translator's coordinates can be found in
the po file for any given language.

Alex

Re: New Version

Anton Huber
Hello,
well it's not a suprise that the german translation is now be
better...but in one week i hope we can "kill" the most of these 300
still fuzzy strings!!

Best regards,

anton

Am Freitag, den 03.11.2006, 09:35 -0800 schrieb Alex Roitman:

> Dirk,
>
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 18:24 +0100, Dirk Weßner wrote:
> > try the new version 2.2.2. To me it seems that the german translation
> > works fine now.
>
> The de.po file shows about 300 fuzzy strings, meaning that those
> will not show up in the program. It is better than 2.2.1 but
> still not perfect.
>
> Also, as a translator myself (I do Russian translation) I know
> that simply coming up with some translation is far from making
> a good and usable translation. What looks OK out of context
> may look funny or weird in report.
>
> So the translation is an ongoing process. It would be a real
> help (I mean it!) if the users identified the problems with the
> translation and then contacted the translators and worked with
> them to fix it. The translator's coordinates can be found in
> the po file for any given language.
>
> Alex

Re: New Version

Don Allingham
Jürgen,

First off, let me apologize if you were offended by anything that has
been said in other messages. Knowing Alex, I doubt seriously that any
offense was intended. Email messages often fail to convey the writer's
intent, especially when people are writing and reading in a language
that is not their native language.

Alex's comments should not be viewed as a snide remark, but more as a
desperate plea for help.  Alex and Anton spend hours on the IRC channel
trying to get the translation done before the release - and Alex doesn't
even speak German. And Anton is a student, who was up all hours of the
night trying to get the translation done.

We have to periodically release GRAMPS without the translations
completed. This is simply because we don't have enough people to support
the translations (or anything else, for that matter). If we waited until
every translation was complete, we would never be able to release. So
what we do is release with the best we have, and work with the
translators to help them evolve the translation.

GRAMPS is actually one of the harder programs to convert. In addition to
all the various dialogs, the reports are very difficult to translate.

So, when Alex is asking for help, he is serious about it - he was not
trying to get you to be quiet, he was honestly asking for your help. We
could definitely use it.

Don