New York City and Kansas City in Gramps 4.1

New York City and Kansas City in Gramps 4.1

Philip Weiss
So another issue on how to model places:

Kansas City and New York City span multiple counties, which are normally higher in the hierarchy than a city.  In the case of NYC, the counties are coterminous with boroughs of the city, so counties can be inferred even if not explicitly stated.

But that's not the case for Kansas City.   I can't make KC a child of three different counties because the title generation only uses the first listed county,  And I can't make the counties children of KC for the same reason.  KC metro area doesn't really match a hierarchy.

How have others using 4.1+ solved that or similar locations?

Phil.

Re: New York City and Kansas City in Gramps 4.1

Sebastian Schubert
Hi Phil,

I am not sure whether this helps, I just describe what I have done so far.

Am 31.10.2014 um 00:30 schrieb Philip Weiss:
> So another issue on how to model places:
>
> Kansas City and New York City span multiple counties, which are normally
> higher in the hierarchy than a city.  In the case of NYC, the counties
> are coterminous with boroughs of the city, so counties can be inferred
> even if not explicitly stated.

In my hierarchy, I use legislative rather than geographical arguments
for building the tree. I have some cities, which do not belong to my
equivalent of a county; they are "county-free" although they might lie
within a county from a geographical point of view. Therefore, some
cities are on the same level as counties in my tree. I don't know
whether this is applicable to your cities.

> But that's not the case for Kansas City.   I can't make KC a child of
> three different counties because the title generation only uses the
> first listed county,  And I can't make the counties children of KC for
> the same reason.  KC metro area doesn't really match a hierarchy.

Wikipedia tells me: KC "encompasses 316 square miles in parts of
Jackson, Clay, Cass, and Platte counties. It is one of two county seats
of Jackson County."

So it seems, either Jackson County or no county at all would be the
appropriate choice; in this case probable the first choice.

HTH
Sebastian

Re: New York City and Kansas City in Gramps 4.1

Philip Weiss
Currently, I'm thinking:
US->Missouri->Kansas City->Address
            ->Jackson    ->
US->Missouri->Jackson    ->OtherCity->Address2

In other words, a place in Kansas City is the child of two objects, the city and the county, rather than the city being the child of the county or the county being the child of the city.  Generated titles for the address won't be complete, but they won't be inaccurate either.

Still hoping others can chime in to help clarify my thinking.

Phil.