New addon (DynamicWeb)

pierre
Hello devs,

I just checked-in a new Web report in the gramps-addon repository (DynamicWeb in branches 40, 41 and trunk)

This is my first commit in the project so I hope I didn't break anything...
The report status = UNSTABLE, in order to avoid any unexpected annoyance to normal users.

Examples of the reports are available at: http://belissent.github.io/GrampsDynamicWebReport/

I am unable to see the report in the GRAMPS preferences dialog (when checking for new addons).
What did I do wrong ?

Thanks for your feedback, regards, Pierre

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

manzi.sam
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

pierre
Thanks Sam for your answer,

I used Python 3 to run make.py
In order to include the templates directory in the tarball package, I called make.py with additional parameters

For example:
$ python make.py build DynamicWeb DynamicWeb/templates

With this option, the tarball "DynamicWeb.addon.tgz" contains all the needed files.
Maybe that there is an issue with the fact that I use tar for Windows, but I don't even see the report proposed in the preferences dialog. So my impression is that something else is wrong.

For your issue ([Trees>"SVG tree graph type:" ] drop down list it appears in 3 rows and the 3rd row has disappeared):
I plan to modify the report options dialog, in order to have options similar to the fanchart graph (when my problem above is solved).
Please note that: whatever ([Trees>"SVG tree graph type:") you select, it is still possible to change the graph type on the generated page.

For the project name spelling: Thanks for the remark. It should be corrected as soon as the packaging works.

regards, pierre

Hello Pierre,

I've regenerated the listing for trunk and it now appears, my guess is that you possibly used python2 instead of python3 to run make.py?

Sadly while your addon downloads ok, and using the default options the report created is blank, it looks like you've been hit by the same packaging issue[1] as Matt, because your templates directory is missed when packaging, I can not see a feature request for this functionality in the bug report system?

I manually added the template directory on my local install and the report is created and displays correctly, I am impressed with the svg trees and the number of tree options you have created.

Matt's temporary solution I believe is to package the correct files manually and commit.  I've done this for you on trunk so you and anyone interested can test the report and provide additional feed back.

Additional feedback when I selected [Trees>"SVG tree graph type:" ]  drop down list it appears in 3 rows and the 3rd row has disappeared of the right side of the screen with no way to select.

Spelling the project name is now in lower case eg "Gramps".

Thank you for your wonderful report.
-
Sam

On 1 May 2015 at 04:52, Pierre Bélissent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello devs,

I just checked-in a new Web report in the gramps-addon repository (DynamicWeb in branches 40, 41 and trunk)

This is my first commit in the project so I hope I didn't break anything...
The report status = UNSTABLE, in order to avoid any unexpected annoyance to normal users.

Examples of the reports are available at: http://belissent.github.io/GrampsDynamicWebReport/

I am unable to see the report in the GRAMPS preferences dialog (when checking for new addons).
What did I do wrong ?

Thanks for your feedback, regards, Pierre

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

pierre
The packaging issue mentioned above is solved
(I didn't use make.py with appropriate command line options, plus encoding issues on Windows)

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

jerome
Pierre,

It looks like there is a write issue?

regards,
Jérôme

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-devel] New addon (DynamicWeb)
 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Mardi 5 mai 2015, 0h48

 The packaging issue
 mentioned above is solved
 (I didn't use
 make.py with appropriate command line options, plus
 encoding
 issues on Windows)

 context: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/New-addon-DynamicWeb-tp4670293p4670332.html
 at Nabble.com.

 One dashboard for servers and applications
 across Physical-Virtual-Cloud
 Widest
 out-of-the-box monitoring support with 50+ applications
 Performance metrics, stats and reports that
 give you Actionable Insights
 Deep dive
 visibility with transaction tracing using APM Insight.
 http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

DS Blank
On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Pierre Bélissent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Sam for your answer,

I used Python 3 to run make.py
In order to include the templates directory in the tarball package, I called make.py with additional parameters

For example:
$ python make.py build DynamicWeb DynamicWeb/templates

With this option, the tarball "DynamicWeb.addon.tgz" contains all the needed files.
Maybe that there is an issue with the fact that I use tar for Windows, but I don't even see the report proposed in the preferences dialog. So my impression is that something else is wrong.

Pierre,

Thanks for the work on this addon; I'm looking forward to trying it.

Unfortunately, it appears that all of the permissions in the tgz file prevent it being used on Linux. I'm not a Windows user, but is there a way to make the permissions so that all can read these files? Currently, I see permissions like:

d---rwx--- F551960/SDS+Group(513) 0 2015-02-16 04:16 DynamicWeb/templates/

and that causes a crash when attempting to read the files.

If not, perhaps there is a better way to make the tgz on Windows? If not, we may have to restrict the packaging to those OS's that can properly handle file permissions. (Eventually, it would be great to have a server create the tgz file on the fly. But we need a server.)

Thanks again!

-Doug

[...]

So it appears that I broke something...
Not bad for my first commit!
I am sorry for the inconvenience.

It seems that Murphy's law is a good friend of Windows.

The addon is corrected and the permissions should be OK by now.
Unfortunately I haven't tested it (the issue doesn't occur on my configuration).

Regards, Pierre

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

DS Blank
On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Pierre Bélissent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

So it appears that I broke something...
Not bad for my first commit!
I am sorry for the inconvenience.

It seems that Murphy's law is a good friend of Windows.

The addon is corrected and the permissions should be OK by now.
Unfortunately I haven't tested it (the issue doesn't occur on my configuration).

I successfully downloaded, installed, and can run it on gramps40. Thanks!

This issue revealed two other bugs which have now been fixed in gramps41 and master. So, there is a silver lining :)

-Doug

Regards, Pierre

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

DS Blank
Looks like there are some other things for you to fix:

* Can you adjust the permissions in gramps-addons/trunk/contrib/DynamicWeb ? There are a few there that are incorrect
* Are these directories needed:

gramps-addons/trunk/contrib/DynamicWeb/locale/DynamicWeb
gramps-addons/trunk/contrib/DynamicWeb/locale/f
gramps-addons/trunk/contrib/DynamicWeb/locale/fr-

Those look like they were accidently added.

Thanks,

-Doug

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Pierre Bélissent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

So it appears that I broke something...
Not bad for my first commit!
I am sorry for the inconvenience.

It seems that Murphy's law is a good friend of Windows.

The addon is corrected and the permissions should be OK by now.
Unfortunately I haven't tested it (the issue doesn't occur on my configuration).

Regards, Pierre

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

DS Blank
Pierre,

It appears that your updating of the listings on Windows has changed all of the line endings of all entries in all files:

It should be the case that only the lines for your particular addon should have changed.

This isn't your fault... you were just doing as the documentation instructs. However, we probably need to change the workflow a bit to prevent this from happening again. The construction of these tgz and listings is difficult to get right, especially on Windows (which few addon developers use).

For the moment, why don't you focus on the addon, and someone on Linux/Mac will construct the listings and tgz files.

Thanks!

-Doug

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Doug,

Thanks for your feedback and patience.

You are right; the following files are not wanted:
gramps-addons/trunk/contrib/DynamicWeb/locale/DynamicWeb
gramps-addons/trunk/contrib/DynamicWeb/locale/f
gramps-addons/trunk/contrib/DynamicWeb/locale/fr-

I don't know why they are generated by the commands:
    python make.py update DynmicWeb fr
    python make.py compile DynamicWeb

For the Windows EOL in gramps-addons/trunk/listings:
It might come from the Python behavior for text files...
When writing to a text file, Python automatically replaces '\n' with '\r\n' on Windows.
It might also come from the SVN processing for end-of-lines.
So I manually changed all the EOL to '\n', and checked-in again. It works
==> The issue comes from Python default behavior

For the permissions in the packages:
I looked in:
    gramps-addons/branches/gramps40/download/DynamicWeb.addon.tgz
    gramps-addons/branches/gramps41/download/DynamicWeb.addon.tgz
    gramps-addons/trunk/download/DynamicWeb.addon.tgz
and I didn't see any problem:
    Regular files are -rw-rw-r--
    Directories are drwxrwxr-x
==> Could you be more specific of what is the problem?

I will probably have to setup a Linux configuration, but it will take time before it is up and working.
Therefore I checked-in a quick fix for the issues:
- End of lines in listing files addon-**.txt (for gramps40 branch, you already did it for gramps41 and trunk)
- Useless directories in DynamicWeb/locale

Note:
I did not change the version number of the addon as only the packaging changed, and also because if I run make.py again I will have EOL/permissions issues.

Hoping that this time it works...
Regards, Pierre

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

DS Blank
Pierre,

Thanks for contributing your DynamicWeb addon... already one can see a lot of work has gone into that!

After removing the original files that had permission issues and re-downloading, then I was able to run the code. There were some issues in actually see the data... perhaps because of my browser (Chrome) or something else.

As we don't have a very large development team, I'd like to invite you (and anyone else interested) to join the work being done on the web version of Gramps. Your skills would be very welcomed!

Currently, all of the work has been done under Linux and should work under Mac, but it may be possible to work on Windows (see also [4] below). To get started working with Django and Gramps on a POSIX os:

1. Install Django 1.6 or greater. I'm working with the standard Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (long term service)
2. Install other python packages: simplejson, sqlite3
3. cd to gramps/webapp
4. make clean (will delete sqlite db, and initial data to be imported)
5. make   (need to enter two passwords, twice each)
6. make run

You can then visit http://localhost:8000 and login, edit data, search, etc.

The current version is missing some functionality, and the current place code isn't updated to match the latest changes. If you would like more info on this, let me know.

-Doug

Other resources:

There may be other fixes here to be incorporated:

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Pierre Bélissent <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tests.
I would be interrested to know more about the issues that you have for seeing the data

I found the time to install a Linux PC
So I tested on Chrome/Chromium and Firefox for Windows and for Ubuntu LTS 14, successfully.

The tests I make consist of:
5 different report generations in each branch (40 41 42), with the example database provided in gramps (slightly modified).
The results (generated on windows) are there: http://belissent.github.io/GrampsDynamicWebReport/

When do you think I should change it to "STABLE" (in the *.gpr.py file) ?

For the web version of Gramps:
It is interresting, but in the near future, I will stick to maintaining my report, and from what I saw the last few days, it could be quite some work...

regards, Pierre

Re: Gramps Webapp [Was: New addon (DynamicWeb)]

Ross Gammon
Hi Doug,

On 05/08/2015 05:25 PM, Doug Blank wrote:

> As we don't have a very large development team, I'd like to invite you
> (and anyone else interested) to join the work being done on the web
> version of Gramps. Your skills would be very welcomed!

I would really love to see Gramps Connect come of age and get installed
all over the web. Unfortunately, I am not much of a developer.

> Currently, all of the work has been done under Linux and should work
> under Mac, but it may be possible to work on Windows (see also [4]
> below). To get started working with Django and Gramps on a POSIX os:
>
> 1. Install Django 1.6 or greater. I'm working with the standard Ubuntu
> 14.04 LTS (long term service)
> 2. Install other python packages: simplejson, sqlite3
> 3. cd to gramps/webapp
> 4. make clean (will delete sqlite db, and initial data to be imported)
> 5. make   (need to enter two passwords, twice each)
> 6. make run
>
> You can then visit http://localhost:8000 and login, edit data, search, etc.

I did the above and had a play last night after not touching the webapp
for a while. Once we are confident there is enough functionality, I
would love to try and expose the webapp to more people for testing
through a ppa on Ubuntu's launchpad or something. The build system needs
a little love though, to put things in the right place on a linux
system-wide install and to better interoperate with a system installed
desktop gramps.

I have been meaning to investigate the minified javascript issue as
well, to find the original source, minimise at build time, and make it
possible for Debian to use the system installed library instead of
bundling it (which would then satisfy the Debian definition of software
freedom).
I might see if I can cherry-pick the oneeyedparrot commits, and try my
first Gramps PR.

Cheers,

Ross

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

Alain AUPEIX
Le 08. 05. 15 17:25, Doug Blank a écrit :
To get started working with Django and Gramps on a POSIX os:

1. Install Django 1.6 or greater. I'm working with the standard Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (long term service)
2. Install other python packages: simplejson, sqlite3
3. cd to gramps/webapp
4. make clean (will delete sqlite db, and initial data to be imported)
5. make   (need to enter two passwords, twice each)
6. make run

You can then visit http://localhost:8000 and login, edit data, search, etc.
Hi,
What is the Gramps version which can be used. I'm under Ubuntu 12.04 and I use Gramps 3.4.8.1 (I will use 3.4.9) ?

I have no gramps/webapp folder.
Is that created using setup.py located in django folder ?
Where do I must locate django folder ?

Thanks
A+
--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.8-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2015-05-07 11:27) | HbIDE (Rev.316) | Five.Linux (r143) | Hw.Gui (2396)

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

DS Blank
On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 6:45 AM, Alain Aupeix <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 08. 05. 15 17:25, Doug Blank a écrit :
To get started working with Django and Gramps on a POSIX os:

1. Install Django 1.6 or greater. I'm working with the standard Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (long term service)
2. Install other python packages: simplejson, sqlite3
3. cd to gramps/webapp
4. make clean (will delete sqlite db, and initial data to be imported)
5. make   (need to enter two passwords, twice each)
6. make run

You can then visit http://localhost:8000 and login, edit data, search, etc.
Hi,
What is the Gramps version which can be used. I'm under Ubuntu 12.04 and I use Gramps 3.4.8.1 (I will use 3.4.9) ?

Because webapps are on the web and the web is a hostile environment, Django (which gramps connect is written) is constantly being refined. Your best bet is probably to install Django 1.6 (or perhaps later), and use the latest master from github (eg, gramps 4.2). You don't to install Gramps 4.2 to play with the webapp.

Past versions of the webapp have been in tight sync with core gramps. This takes consistent work, and hasn't had that attention for a while. So, it will take some time to, for example, get the Place database changes in sync with core gramps.

Good news is that some other gramps developers have also expressed some interest in getting the webapp in good shape. Waiting on me to write some documentation (what needs to be done, etc), which is my next task.

-Doug

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 4:58 AM, Ross Gammon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Doug,

On 05/08/2015 05:25 PM, Doug Blank wrote:

> As we don't have a very large development team, I'd like to invite you
> (and anyone else interested) to join the work being done on the web
> version of Gramps. Your skills would be very welcomed!

I would really love to see Gramps Connect come of age and get installed
all over the web. Unfortunately, I am not much of a developer.

> Currently, all of the work has been done under Linux and should work
> under Mac, but it may be possible to work on Windows (see also [4]
> below). To get started working with Django and Gramps on a POSIX os:
>
> 1. Install Django 1.6 or greater. I'm working with the standard Ubuntu
> 14.04 LTS (long term service)
> 2. Install other python packages: simplejson, sqlite3
> 3. cd to gramps/webapp
> 4. make clean (will delete sqlite db, and initial data to be imported)
> 5. make   (need to enter two passwords, twice each)
> 6. make run
>
> You can then visit http://localhost:8000 and login, edit data, search, etc.

I did the above and had a play last night after not touching the webapp
for a while. Once we are confident there is enough functionality, I
would love to try and expose the webapp to more people for testing
through a ppa on Ubuntu's launchpad or something. The build system needs
a little love though, to put things in the right place on a linux
system-wide install and to better interoperate with a system installed
desktop gramps.

Great goal! Once the Places database changes are made, and tests pass, I think we'll be ready. Classes are over for me for the summer, so this is a good time to relax with gramps :)

I have been meaning to investigate the minified javascript issue as
well, to find the original source, minimise at build time, and make it
possible for Debian to use the system installed library instead of
bundling it (which would then satisfy the Debian definition of software
freedom).

Yes, that should be an easy fix. These libraries may also be available via a URL. I wasn't very careful putting that together many years ago, and didn't know much about web development.

> -Doug
>
> Other resources:
>
> [1] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_013:_Gramps_Webapp
> [2]
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps-Connect:_Developer_Introduction
> [3] http://gramps-connect.org/
> [4] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps-Connect
>
> There may be other fixes here to be incorporated:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/u/oneeyedparrot/gramps/ci/c6b0e5713bc5f0e5e84c62840efc00c3e7545f24/log/?path=

I might see if I can cherry-pick the oneeyedparrot commits, and try my
first Gramps PR.

That would be great!

Thanks for your support,

-Doug

Cheers,

Ross

On 05/09/2015 01:08 PM, Doug Blank wrote:
>     > There may be other fixes here to be incorporated:
>     >
>     >
>     https://sourceforge.net/u/oneeyedparrot/gramps/ci/c6b0e5713bc5f0e5e84c62840efc00c3e7545f24/log/?path=
>     >

Actually - it looked like Paul's commits had already been incorporated,
although not always implemented in the same way. There was only one
obvious one which is now a PR!

Ross

Re: New addon (DynamicWeb)

Alain AUPEIX
Le 09. 05. 15 13:00, Doug Blank a écrit :
[...]

I have download django 1.7.1, and I can't install:

[hidden email] python setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 4, in <module>
    from setuptools import setup, find_packages
ImportError: No module named setuptools

Having a look to Gramps github, I saw that Python 3.2 must be installed, and Ubuntu 12.04 is using Python 2.7

So, I don't think it will be possible with my config.

Thanks
A+

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Alain Aupeix <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, Gramps 4.2 is Python3 only. But I suspect that you should be able to "apt-get install python3". But then, you'll need the rest of what Gramps 4+ requires: newer gtk, things like setuptools for Django, etc. But you don't want to corrupt your Gramps 3 system. You may want to set up a Python virtual environment, or maybe an entire new install someplace with a newer Ubuntu, on which to experiment.

Technically, the webapp doesn't use Gtk. But there may be modules that still import it.

-Doug