New calendar report

Doug Blank
GRAMPS users,

I've been hacking on a calendar graphical report using the new interface
with GRAMPS 2.0, and wanted to let you know about it sooner than later.
This time of year I usually print a calendar with all my relatives
birthdays and anniversaries. This year, I really wanted to do it from
GRAMPS. This is my first GRAMPS report, and someone may want to look over
the logic to get spouses. But it works for me.

You can find some screen dumps and the code here:

http://emergent.brynmawr.edu/emergent/GrampsCalendarReport

The report has options to select a filter, the year of the calendar,
living people only, birthdays and/or anniversaries.

In addition to generating a calendar, this code also has implemented part
of a proposal to make the report interface a little kinder on the coder. I
did this to make report writing easier by having Python do all of the
dirty work. This also has the benefit of making the code a little more
modular, and separates the details of the GUI from the details of the
logic of the report.

In any event, the code builds on the existing report infrastructure, and
should run on GRAMPS 2.0.

Let me know if you have issues or suggestions.

-Doug

Re: New calendar report

Gunnar Haaland-2
[hidden email] wrote:

> GRAMPS users,
>
> I've been hacking on a calendar graphical report using the new interface
> with GRAMPS 2.0, and wanted to let you know about it sooner than later.
> This time of year I usually print a calendar with all my relatives
> birthdays and anniversaries. This year, I really wanted to do it from
> GRAMPS. This is my first GRAMPS report, and someone may want to look over
> the logic to get spouses. But it works for me.
>
> You can find some screen dumps and the code here:
>
> http://emergent.brynmawr.edu/emergent/GrampsCalendarReport
>
> The report has options to select a filter, the year of the calendar,
> living people only, birthdays and/or anniversaries.
>
> In addition to generating a calendar, this code also has implemented part
> of a proposal to make the report interface a little kinder on the coder. I
> did this to make report writing easier by having Python do all of the
> dirty work. This also has the benefit of making the code a little more
> modular, and separates the details of the GUI from the details of the
> logic of the report.
>
> In any event, the code builds on the existing report infrastructure, and
> should run on GRAMPS 2.0.
>
> Let me know if you have issues or suggestions.
>
> -Doug

Nice tool for us that do not remeber a birthday.
But how do I get it to work on my opensuse 10.0
I have savede the calendar.py file in my opt/gnome/share/gramps/plugins
but I cant see the calender report.

Gunnar

Re: New calendar report

Doug Blank

> Nice tool for us that do not remeber a birthday.
> But how do I get it to work on my opensuse 10.0
> I have savede the calendar.py file in my opt/gnome/share/gramps/plugins
> but I cant see the calender report.

Gunnar,

This report is currently different than the others. Normally, you should
be able to just put the .py file in the plugins directory, and start
gramps up and you should see the report. However, the latest version of
the Calendar.py (from about an hour ago) also needs the "holidays.xml"
file. Since your Linux puts gramps in a different place than mine, and I
currently have the path hardcoded in the program, you'll have to change
the code. Just replace "/usr/share/gramps/plugins" with
"/opt/gnome/share/gramps/plugins" and it should work.

Sorry for the confusion; I'll try to fix this issue once I hear some
feedback on what to do with the xml file (and I'll make it work without it
too).

-Doug

> Gunnar

Re: New calendar report

Gunnar Haaland-2
[hidden email] wrote:

>> Nice tool for us that do not remeber a birthday.
>> But how do I get it to work on my opensuse 10.0
>> I have savede the calendar.py file in my opt/gnome/share/gramps/plugins
>> but I cant see the calender report.
>
> Gunnar,
>
> This report is currently different than the others. Normally, you should
> be able to just put the .py file in the plugins directory, and start
> gramps up and you should see the report. However, the latest version of
> the Calendar.py (from about an hour ago) also needs the "holidays.xml"
> file. Since your Linux puts gramps in a different place than mine, and I
> currently have the path hardcoded in the program, you'll have to change
> the code. Just replace "/usr/share/gramps/plugins" with
> "/opt/gnome/share/gramps/plugins" and it should work.
>
> Sorry for the confusion; I'll try to fix this issue once I hear some
> feedback on what to do with the xml file (and I'll make it work without it
> too).
>
> -Doug
>
>> Gunnar

Sorry, I cant find any path to /usr/share/gramps/plugins in the
Calendar.py or holidays.xml. file.
Or is it in the gramps "main" program.
I have only downloaded those to files and put them in the Gramps
pluginfolder, are that all I have to do or???
As I can see, I have to open an Graphic report to get this report to work???
  Gunnar

Re: New calendar report

Doug Blank
>> This report is currently different than the others. Normally, you should
>> be able to just put the .py file in the plugins directory, and start
>> gramps up and you should see the report. However, the latest version of
>> the Calendar.py (from about an hour ago) also needs the "holidays.xml"
>> file. Since your Linux puts gramps in a different place than mine, and I
>> currently have the path hardcoded in the program, you'll have to change
>> the code. Just replace "/usr/share/gramps/plugins" with
>> "/opt/gnome/share/gramps/plugins" and it should work.
>>
>> Sorry for the confusion; I'll try to fix this issue once I hear some
>> feedback on what to do with the xml file (and I'll make it work without
>> it
>> too).

> Sorry, I cant find any path to /usr/share/gramps/plugins in the
> Calendar.py or holidays.xml. file.
> Or is it in the gramps "main" program.
> I have only downloaded those to files and put them in the Gramps
> pluginfolder, are that all I have to do or???
> As I can see, I have to open an Graphic report to get this report to
> work???

Gunnar,

First, make sure that you have the latest versions of the two files. Put
them both in your gramps/plugins/ directory. Then edit Calendar.py by
changing line 198 so that reflects the complete path to the plugins
directory. In your case, that sounds like it would look like:

element = parser.Parse('/opt/gnome/share/gramps/plugins/holidays.xml')

And that is all you have to do. The report will appear under "Unsupported"
as "Calendar". You can then run it as you would a regular report.

This version is tested under GRAMPS-2.0.9-1. If you want to wait a week,
I'll have this fixed up a bit better.

-Doug

>   Gunnar

Re: New calendar report

Sigmund Lorentsen
Tysdag 27. desember 2005 07:20 skreiv [hidden email]:

Doug,

Is the link to the file "holidays.xml" broken.  I can't find the file.

best regards Sigmund Lorentsen

> GRAMPS users,
>
> I've been hacking on a calendar graphical report using the new interface
> with GRAMPS 2.0, and wanted to let you know about it sooner than later.
> This time of year I usually print a calendar with all my relatives
> birthdays and anniversaries. This year, I really wanted to do it from
> GRAMPS. This is my first GRAMPS report, and someone may want to look over
> the logic to get spouses. But it works for me.
>
> You can find some screen dumps and the code here:
>
> http://emergent.brynmawr.edu/emergent/GrampsCalendarReport
>
> The report has options to select a filter, the year of the calendar,
> living people only, birthdays and/or anniversaries.
>
> In addition to generating a calendar, this code also has implemented part
> of a proposal to make the report interface a little kinder on the coder. I
> did this to make report writing easier by having Python do all of the
> dirty work. This also has the benefit of making the code a little more
> modular, and separates the details of the GUI from the details of the
> logic of the report.
>
> In any event, the code builds on the existing report infrastructure, and
> should run on GRAMPS 2.0.
>
> Let me know if you have issues or suggestions.
>
> -Doug

Re: New calendar report

Doug Blank
> Tysdag 27. desember 2005 07:20 skreiv [hidden email]:
>
> Doug,
>
> Is the link to the file "holidays.xml" broken.  I can't find the file.

No, it isn't broken, but it is an .xml file and your browser might be
trying to do something with it. The link:

http://bubo.brynmawr.edu/~dblank/python/holidays.xml

can be right-clicked and saved to disk. I'll make this easier to deal with
when I get some feedback from Don and Alex about where the .xml should go.
In the meantime, I also put these two files in a zip file at:

http://bubo.brynmawr.edu/~dblank/python/python.zip

Right-click, save to disk, and either double-click it in your gui, or run
"unzip python.zip".

This is suggestive of a way that we could make plugins that could be
automatically installed by gramps. If there were an "Install plugin..."
option that took a URL or file, and unzip it and put the files in the
right place. That would be handy for experts and newbies alike!

-Doug

> best regards Sigmund Lorentsen
>

>> GRAMPS users,
>>
>> I've been hacking on a calendar graphical report using the new interface
>> with GRAMPS 2.0, and wanted to let you know about it sooner than later.
>> This time of year I usually print a calendar with all my relatives
>> birthdays and anniversaries. This year, I really wanted to do it from
>> GRAMPS. This is my first GRAMPS report, and someone may want to look
>> over
>> the logic to get spouses. But it works for me.
>>
>> You can find some screen dumps and the code here:
>>
>> http://emergent.brynmawr.edu/emergent/GrampsCalendarReport
>>
>> The report has options to select a filter, the year of the calendar,
>> living people only, birthdays and/or anniversaries.
>>
>> In addition to generating a calendar, this code also has implemented
>> part
>> of a proposal to make the report interface a little kinder on the coder.
>> did this to make report writing easier by having Python do all of the
>> dirty work. This also has the benefit of making the code a little more
>> modular, and separates the details of the GUI from the details of the
>> logic of the report.
>>
>> In any event, the code builds on the existing report infrastructure, and
>> should run on GRAMPS 2.0.
>>
>> Let me know if you have issues or suggestions.
>>
>> -Doug

Re: New calendar report

Don Allingham
Sorry for taking so long to chime in on this. Alex is out of town this
week, and I am on vacation, so I haven't been around as much either.
Most of my time on GRAMPS this week has been going to support and to
working on the manual.

First off, let me say that projects like Doug's Calendar.py are exactly
what the development team has been hoping for. The more user
contributions that are made, the better the project becomes.

As far as where the XML file goes - that depends. For official plugins
released with GRAMPS, we have some basic guidelines. Support files go in
<prefix>/share/gramps/data. So for most systems, this is
either /usr/share/gramps/data or /usr/local/share/gramps/data. However,
I believe that for SuSE, the prefix is /opt/gnome. But the path should
not be hard coded. We have a value in const.py that contains the path
for your system - const.dataDir. You can build the path using:

   import const
   import os

   mypath = os.path.join(const.dataDir,myfile)

For plugins that are not part of the official distribution, we place no
constraints. The writer is free to do whatever he/she so desires.
However, our recommendation is that all files go into the
~/.gramps/plugins directory. This will prevent any interference with the
released GRAMPS code, and eliminate any unexpected problems on upgrades.

And in case anyone was wondering, I probably ought to list our
requirements for inclusion into the main distribution.

1) A general interest to the GRAMPS community. If you write a plugin to
   calculate a numerical value for each person's name, and report whose
   value is divisible by 42, chances are it is not going to have a
   general interest to the community.

2) Cleanly written code that can reasonably be understood by an average
   python programmer. This is always a tough call, because much of the
   GRAMPS code is a rather complicated, and can be hard to follow. But
   basically, it means that the development team needs to be able to
   understand what you are doing.

3) A dedication to supporting the plugin. We prefer not to have code
   dumped in our laps and then have the writer disappear. This has
   happened quite a few times in the past, and the development team
   then has to support even more code.

4) Full internationalization (i18n) support. Usually this means taking
   advantage of the standard strings in ReportUtils.py when possible,
   marking displayable strings as translatable, and making sure that
   signals full sentences are used instead of building up sentences
   from partial phrases. These guidelines are important, since we
   support many languages. This issue is pretty minor for graphical
   reports, but it is a large for text reports. Providing a
   translation into another language is a major effort, and we want to
   ease the burden as much as possible.

5) Release under the GNU GPL license, with full license and copyright
   notice in the specified in the python files, similar to the rest of
   the GRAMPS source files.

6) Fitting within the GRAMPS framework - meaning that the code should be
   assumed to be in the <prefix>/share/gramps/plugins directory, and any
   support files should be in the <prefix>/share/gramps/data directory.
   Additional dependencies should be avoided if at all possible. If an
   additional dependency is required, it should be discussed with the
   development team. And importantly, all code should be written in
   Python.

Don

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 11:05 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:

> > Tysdag 27. desember 2005 07:20 skreiv [hidden email]:
> >
> > Doug,
> >
> > Is the link to the file "holidays.xml" broken.  I can't find the file.
>
> No, it isn't broken, but it is an .xml file and your browser might be
> trying to do something with it. The link:
>
> http://bubo.brynmawr.edu/~dblank/python/holidays.xml
>
> can be right-clicked and saved to disk. I'll make this easier to deal with
> when I get some feedback from Don and Alex about where the .xml should go.
> In the meantime, I also put these two files in a zip file at:
>
> http://bubo.brynmawr.edu/~dblank/python/python.zip
>
> Right-click, save to disk, and either double-click it in your gui, or run
> "unzip python.zip".
>
> This is suggestive of a way that we could make plugins that could be
> automatically installed by gramps. If there were an "Install plugin..."
> option that took a URL or file, and unzip it and put the files in the
> right place. That would be handy for experts and newbies alike!
>
> -Doug
>
> > best regards Sigmund Lorentsen
> >

> >> GRAMPS users,
> >>
> >> I've been hacking on a calendar graphical report using the new interface
> >> with GRAMPS 2.0, and wanted to let you know about it sooner than later.
> >> This time of year I usually print a calendar with all my relatives
> >> birthdays and anniversaries. This year, I really wanted to do it from
> >> GRAMPS. This is my first GRAMPS report, and someone may want to look
> >> over
> >> the logic to get spouses. But it works for me.
> >>
> >> You can find some screen dumps and the code here:
> >>
> >> http://emergent.brynmawr.edu/emergent/GrampsCalendarReport
> >>
> >> The report has options to select a filter, the year of the calendar,
> >> living people only, birthdays and/or anniversaries.
> >>
> >> In addition to generating a calendar, this code also has implemented
> >> part
> >> of a proposal to make the report interface a little kinder on the coder.
> >> did this to make report writing easier by having Python do all of the
> >> dirty work. This also has the benefit of making the code a little more
> >> modular, and separates the details of the GUI from the details of the
> >> logic of the report.
> >>
> >> In any event, the code builds on the existing report infrastructure, and
> >> should run on GRAMPS 2.0.
> >>
> >> Let me know if you have issues or suggestions.
> >>
> >> -Doug

Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

Re: New calendar report

Anthony Joseph Seward
On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 01:20 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:

> GRAMPS users,
>
> I've been hacking on a calendar graphical report using the new interface
> with GRAMPS 2.0, and wanted to let you know about it sooner than later.
> This time of year I usually print a calendar with all my relatives
> birthdays and anniversaries. This year, I really wanted to do it from
> GRAMPS. This is my first GRAMPS report, and someone may want to look over
> the logic to get spouses. But it works for me.
>
> You can find some screen dumps and the code here:
>
> http://emergent.brynmawr.edu/emergent/GrampsCalendarReport
>
> The report has options to select a filter, the year of the calendar,
> living people only, birthdays and/or anniversaries.
>
> In addition to generating a calendar, this code also has implemented part
> of a proposal to make the report interface a little kinder on the coder. I
> did this to make report writing easier by having Python do all of the
> dirty work. This also has the benefit of making the code a little more
> modular, and separates the details of the GUI from the details of the
> logic of the report.
>
> In any event, the code builds on the existing report infrastructure, and
> should run on GRAMPS 2.0.
>
> Let me know if you have issues or suggestions.

1) Tax day is the 17th this year because the 15th falls on a Sunday.  I
put the following three lines in holidays.xml.

    <date name="Income Taxes due" value="*/4/15" type="national" if="date.weekday().__cmp__(4)-1" />
    <date name="Income Taxes due" value="*/4/16" type="national" if="date.weekday() == 0" />
    <date name="Income Taxes due" value="*/4/17" type="national" if="date.weekday() == 0" />

Works for the years that I tested

2) For Easter, there is a generic, though complicated, equation at the
Naval Observatory: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/easter.html

> -Doug

Re: New calendar report

Doug Blank
On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 12:16 -0700, Anthony Joseph Seward wrote:
> 1) Tax day is the 17th this year because the 15th falls on a Sunday.  I
> put the following three lines in holidays.xml.
>
>     <date name="Income Taxes due" value="*/4/15" type="national" if="date.weekday().__cmp__(4)-1" />
>     <date name="Income Taxes due" value="*/4/16" type="national" if="date.weekday() == 0" />
>     <date name="Income Taxes due" value="*/4/17" type="national" if="date.weekday() == 0" />
>
> Works for the years that I tested

Great; thanks. Clever use of the interface!

> 2) For Easter, there is a generic, though complicated, equation at the
> Naval Observatory: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/easter.html

I'll take a look. Thanks for the pointer. (I was having a bit of
difficulty translating "the first Sunday after the fourth full moon of
the new year" into an easy equation :)

-Doug

--
Douglas S. Blank       Computer Science
Assistant Professor    Bryn Mawr College