New feature talk

Sarolite
I just installed 2.2.1-1 today on my Ubuntu system. I want to say thank you to everyone who contributed to it, I'm loving it so far. =)

(I apologize if this is a big laundry list, if you want me to just do RFEs I'll gladly do so. Just thought I'd spur some discussion.) Some things that come to mind:

I love being able to add a marker to people (ToDo, Completed, etc). This is a great feature, and I'm currently tagging my database of about 200 people with these markers. I'd love it even more if I could select more colors for more custom markers, as opposed to all of my custom ones having the same color (purple by default). I think it's great that you can type your own in, so I wouldn't suggest adding more by default, but just to explain my suggestion I'm adding markers for distant relatives (people not close enough to my direct line for me to actively research, their names are just there because I found them in researching someone else) and for living relatives I'd like to interview.

I'd love it if you could use the markers in the sidebar filtering. Show me females marked Interview, list only people marked ToDo. That would rock. =)

I'd still love to be able to hit enter or spacebar to expand a surname node in people view. I can navigate to the name I want perfectly well with the keyboard only, but to find a person I still have to use the mouse to expand the arrow first. I know this is second nature to some, but I actually spent a good two years using a wireless keyboard and no mouse so always think in terms of less mouse movement. (My wireless mouse wasn't re-chargable and got lost easier than a keyboard, so I used the numeric keypad with accessibility on to move the pointer.)

The narrative website is now listing all events, which I suppose can be either good or bad. I think that it gets a bit muddled with the rest of their life, esspecially since you don't get their role on the website. Maybe split it into things you were the main person in and things you were not the main person in? Or chronological, but things you were the main person in are bold or italic? For example, a page for my sister shows her birth in 1967, my wedding in 2005, and then my cousin's baptism (she was his god mother) in 1983. But it doesn't say "maid of honor" or "god mother." If I didn't know those things, it would be kind of confusing!

I have some birth dates in event view that have no references. I guess I'll just delete them as I go through the list adding descriptions, but it did make me wonder where they came from.

Adding media to a person, how do the "Subsections" work? Upper and Lower X and Y, supposed to be a grid of where they are in the image? I couldn't find any documentation on that.

Thank you!

-Sarolite

Re: New feature talk

Alex Roitman
Sarolite,

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 21:34 -0800, Sarolite wrote:

> I love being able to add a marker to people (ToDo, Completed, etc).
> This is a great feature, and I'm currently tagging my database of
> about 200 people with these markers. I'd love it even more if I could
> select more colors for more custom markers, as opposed to all of my
> custom ones having the same color (purple by default). I think it's
> great that you can type your own in, so I wouldn't suggest adding more
> by default, but just to explain my suggestion I'm adding markers for
> distant relatives (people not close enough to my direct line for me to
> actively research, their names are just there because I found them in
> researching someone else) and for living relatives I'd like to
> interview.
>
> I'd love it if you could use the markers in the sidebar filtering.
> Show me females marked Interview, list only people marked ToDo. That
> would rock. =)
>
> I'd still love to be able to hit enter or spacebar to expand a surname
> node in people view. I can navigate to the name I want perfectly well
> with the keyboard only, but to find a person I still have to use the
> mouse to expand the arrow first.
All of these seem perfectly reasonable. Please file them as three
separate Feature Request items at http://bugs.gramps-project.org

> I have some birth dates in event view that have no references. I guess
> I'll just delete them as I go through the list adding descriptions,
> but it did make me wonder where they came from.

My guess is that you are using your data from 2.0.x. In 2.0
series there was no way of deleting events. So if you added
an event in 2.0 and then later removed it from the person,
it would be "dangling" without a way to delete or even
see it.

> Adding media to a person, how do the "Subsections" work? Upper and
> Lower X and Y, supposed to be a grid of where they are in the image? I
> couldn't find any documentation on that.

There were supposed to be an interface allowing you to
specify the region on the image related to this particular
media reference. E.g. you have a family photo and many
people refer to it. Each can have a sub-frame identifying
that person on a photo.

So far we have a way to store the sub-frame's coordinates,
but no user interface to select it. This is something
we are going to do in the future.

Alex