New mailing list and forum software

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Hello everyone,

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year.

In an effort to modernise the we communicate, we have decided to trial
Discourse as our new mailing list and forum software.

You can sign up for an account here:

https://gramps.discourse.group

During the trial new users must be approved so please use a real name,
username or email address that we can recognise from our mailing lists.
I have enabled GitHub as a login method once you have created an account.

The setup has been kept simple to start with using many default values.
However, we can change settings or add new categories if required.  For
example, we could have a category for family history and genealogy
discussion that is not directly Gramps related, or perhaps a category
for feature requests where users could "like" their favourite proposed
enhancements.

Please start using the new software and let us know what you think.
Hopefully it should provide the benefits of both a forum and mailing
list software.

Re: New mailing list and forum software

GRAMPS - User mailing list
On 02/01/2020 18:07, Nick Hall via Gramps-users wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year.
>
> In an effort to modernise the we communicate, we have decided to trial
> Discourse as our new mailing list and forum software.

Nick,

     What shortcomings of the existing mailing lists is Discourse
intended to alleviate?

David Lynch

Re: New mailing list and forum software

Janusz S. Bień
On Fri, Jan 03 2020 at 14:56 +00, David Lynch via Gramps-users wrote:

> On 02/01/2020 18:07, Nick Hall via Gramps-users wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year.
>>
>> In an effort to modernise the we communicate, we have decided to
>> trial Discourse as our new mailing list and forum software.
>
> Nick,
>
>     What shortcomings of the existing mailing lists is Discourse
> intended to alleviate?

Good question. To the best of my knowledge, Sympa
(https://www.sympa.org/) used to be and perhaps still is the best
mailing list software.

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,
Janusz S. Bien

Re: New mailing list and forum software

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi All

The dinosaur here, I know email lists are archaic and dying but if you
wanted to make a move away from an email list why not go where all the
other family history email listers have gone namely the Fleecebook group.

What is wrong with Discourse I have too many open windows/tabs on
Firefox currently I do not want or need another one let alone one I need
to sign in to.

You get an email from a thread without the previous part of the
discussion included to give it some context. (Yes I know I could sign
onto Discourse)

You cannot reply to an individual you are replying to a thread which
puts a useless address in my Thunderbird Address Book (yes I know I can
turn off adding addresses to my book) but why should I change something
that has worked well for me for over 20 years.

You cannot create a new thread from email

What is wrong with what we have, "searching the archives", why can this
not be improved as part of the existing email arrangement.

At this moment I am not convinced Discourse is a genuine improvemnt or
beneficial to me.

Old engineering adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 03/01/2020 15:18, Janusz S. Bień wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 03 2020 at 14:56 +00, David Lynch via Gramps-users wrote:
>> On 02/01/2020 18:07, Nick Hall via Gramps-users wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year.
>>>
>>> In an effort to modernise the we communicate, we have decided to
>>> trial Discourse as our new mailing list and forum software.
>>
>> Nick,
>>
>>      What shortcomings of the existing mailing lists is Discourse
>> intended to alleviate?
>
> Good question. To the best of my knowledge, Sympa
> (https://www.sympa.org/) used to be and perhaps still is the best
> mailing list software.
>
> Best regards
>
> Janusz

Re: New mailing list and forum software

Seymour J Metz
IMHO old fashioned mailing lists and news groups work better than any of the web-based alternatives. Not all change is progress.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

On 02/01/2020 18:07, Nick Hall via Gramps-users wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year.
>
> In an effort to modernise the we communicate, we have decided to trial
> Discourse as our new mailing list and forum software.

Nick,

     What shortcomings of the existing mailing lists is Discourse
intended to alleviate?

David Lynch

https://secure-web.cisco.com/16_6lwhyo8mXh-UbjDanf0_pLLip4b0VCQGRDUI2_dw9jPCdY0lRjCMHJRZrdA4ZfOlvrkuV55YkY-zJkVSohG1OCUd2yup4VYvpGPOU5LTv8qXfLOslBx0VOzgnJTP1IFY90T6rBXun_qGeX0tqpgqINwPR1nUmB2CDLcsdYtwDYcePB35E5nGiXMXOvcc9KVteLjM-Q0kbqk8pLHNnwbfpaMfmt7JkSd4Fywfl840XN2SPvTd6FTmmamUbDTIP3cafeJnHetdun8RnJLA77pmoaQIEjJNdy-3thHgvMqgzc3_Tvf_BmQjkv9Gy-p0AxxMTY2ns2NDEWy98_EWU6pLVEtQbyffHjZr5g-lyPqLCGLNW1sSmsKjzFRjZ-90hcekzztQCwSMd_9rUYdItkY6PJIqHLSQ0cVCF3J1h572PF_7oYqe4t1TYSTacUvTP5/https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fgramps-users

Re: New mailing list and forum software

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 15:56:31 +0000
phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello phil,

>What is wrong with Discourse I have too many open windows/tabs on
>Firefox currently I do not want or need another one let alone one I

I suggest using mailing list mode.

The only downside I've seen so far is that ppl using the web i/f don't
quote any of the message they're replying to, so you might end up
flipping from message to message for context.
On the upside, the same ppl don't quote 100% of a (say) 60k message just
to add 'I concur' in some form or another.

--
 Regards  _
Early morning when I wake up, I look like Kiss but without the make up

On 03/01/2020 14:56, David Lynch via Gramps-users wrote:
> What shortcomings of the existing mailing lists is Discourse intended
> to alleviate?

The two complaints I hear most often are that we don't have a modern web
forum and that we can't post large images.  I realise that some people
prefer mailing lists and others prefer forum software.  Discourse is a
solution that provides both methods of communication.

Forum users, get a modern friendly interface that will hopefully appeal
to a wider audience.  They get features such as inline images, easier
searching, opinion polls and "likes".  Creating a user survey on the
mailing list has always been a very time consuming task in the past.

Mailing list users can receive emails, reply to them and make create new
topics without needing to login to the web front-end. Although front-end
access is necessary in order to create an account and select mailing
list mode.

There are also some more hidden benefits:

1. Community moderation.  I'm sure most users don't consider the effort
put into Gramps administration.

2. GitHub integration.  I'd like to make future development more visible
to users so that they can provide feedback.

3. Access to subscriber lists.  SourceForge no longer give us access
Mailman user maintenance.

I'm not familiar with Sympa, but I would be open to trial other solutions.

Re: New mailing list and forum software

Jeff D
I personally like modern forum sites better than just a stream of emails.

I like modern forum tools in that I can subscribe to those threads that interest me.

Right now I get a flood of emails, and only care about a fraction of what's being said.

Best regards,

Jeff

On 03/01/2020 14:56, David Lynch via Gramps-users wrote:
> What shortcomings of the existing mailing lists is Discourse intended
> to alleviate?

The two complaints I hear most often are that we don't have a modern web
forum and that we can't post large images.  I realise that some people
prefer mailing lists and others prefer forum software.  Discourse is a
solution that provides both methods of communication.

Forum users, get a modern friendly interface that will hopefully appeal
to a wider audience.  They get features such as inline images, easier
searching, opinion polls and "likes".  Creating a user survey on the
mailing list has always been a very time consuming task in the past.

Mailing list users can receive emails, reply to them and make create new
topics without needing to login to the web front-end. Although front-end
access is necessary in order to create an account and select mailing
list mode.

There are also some more hidden benefits:

1. Community moderation.  I'm sure most users don't consider the effort
put into Gramps administration.

2. GitHub integration.  I'd like to make future development more visible
to users so that they can provide feedback.

3. Access to subscriber lists.  SourceForge no longer give us access
Mailman user maintenance.

I'm not familiar with Sympa, but I would be open to trial other solutions.

Re: New mailing list and forum software

Nick,

The experiment with Discourse forum has been running nearly 4 months and now has a reasonable amount of useful content. (More than 1,600 posts in 115 topics with over 140 registered users)

There was also an Announcement regarding an experiment with a new Matrix chat room in the Discourse forum.

Do you want either of these experiments added to the Contact wiki page?

-Brian

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 12:09, Nick Hall via Gramps-users