New selectors?

jerome
Hello,

There is a new Gramps Enhancement Proposal[1] on wiki for a new set of selectors[2].

The wiki page[2] is listing most related features, some related feature
requests or bug reports and also has some screenshots.

Any idea is welcome!

[1] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:GEPS
[2] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_041:_New_Selector

regards,
Jérôme

Re: New selectors?

TJMcK
Just a few things that came to mind as I skimmed through the info:
 1)  I hope that the person(s) coding this will do all that you can, to NOT use a whole row for the "Show all" check box or a "Switcher".  Gramps has plenty of "empty space" already... and I think that empty space is waisted space...
  2) If I understood your proposal correctly, there is a plan to eliminate the "Last Changed" column,  I do use the "Last Changed" columns (for instance, when I want to know what I was doing last time, or to see what individuals where imported, or to see what changes I made since a certain point in my work, and so on..  Maybe there would still be an alternative way to find "last changes" through the filter, but even if there is, I suspect that there would be no way to sort the "last changes".  So, I would miss the feature if it was removed as I consider the "last changes" column to be a useful tool.

The rest looks fine, but I should really reread it again to fully understand everything...

  - Tim K

Re: New selectors?

On 03/25/2016 05:47 PM, TJMcK wrote:
[snip]
>    2) If I understood your proposal correctly, there is a plan to eliminate
> the "Last Changed" column

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

When Gramps crashes, there has to be a way to determine the last (item) you
were modifying.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: New selectors?

It is for selectors ... not views.

Note, we added the 'Last Change' column on selector some versions ago.
But the solution was incomplete, see feature request #5024

The question might be: do we still need the 'Last Change' column
if we can filter the list via filter rules (there is a set of rules for last
modified items) and if we can see last modified items at a glance?
See also references about the date filters on Gnome3 file manager
using gtk+ 3.20 gtk.

And does current selector model fit well for large tables, like
Events or Citations?

OK, agreed that if there is no performance issues, then why to remove
the 'Last Change' column. Maybe I just made this proposal for having
feedback???  As said, just one of the proposals.

We need to find good solutions.

regards,
Jérôme

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-users] New selectors?
 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Samedi 26 mars 2016, 2h46

 On 03/25/2016 05:47 PM, TJMcK wrote:
 [snip]
 >    2) If I understood your proposal
 correctly, there is a plan to eliminate
 > the "Last Changed" column

 NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

 When Gramps crashes, there has to be a way to determine the
 last (item) you
 were modifying.

 --
 "I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things
 by votes or authority."
 Lawrence Krauss

Re: New selectors?

1. during my tests, the switcher was close to Search bar (or title).
But also experimented tabs on the right or left side!

2. Well, if you are using the "Last Changes" column on selectors,
then I suppose, you will click on the header of the column, then
re-click on the header for having the last modified items?

How many time during a large gramps edition session?

Maybe I should remove the screenshot for the Search Bar, it seems
confusing, because even having a common model, views and
selectors are different.

Yes, maybe too many ideas on one page...

For now, it is already possible to filter displayed items on selectors.
Patch on #5024

On next major release, there is query/filter API.
See also screenshots of gramps_connect.

The primary goal was to spare time for any actions around selectors,
but need to also keep in mind that we could go further with next releases
or gtk+/PyGObject versions.

I suppose that the design is maybe something that gramps could improve.
We need to know what are the expected selectors for gramps.

Note, addons can also use these selectors. e.g., forms gramplet.

  -- Jérôme

 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Vendredi 25 mars 2016, 23h47

 Just a few things that
[...]

 View this
 message in context: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/New-selectors-tp4675040p4675043.html
 archive at Nabble.com.

 Transform Data into Opportunity.
 Accelerate data analysis in your applications
 with
 Intel Data Analytics Acceleration
 Library.
 Click to learn more.

Re: New selectors?

OK !

-1 for me ...

For info, these columns were commented on patch
for feature request #5024: 'Last Change' columns were
only hidden for testing new selectors...

 NO CHANGE on model for Views.

Does it mean that we are all happy with current selectors?

I would like to experiment a simple grouping for filters, like:

object.get_change_time()

last = today
group1 = from today to 1 week back
group2 = from today to 2 weeks back
group3 = from today to 1 month back
group4 = from today to 6 months back
group5 = more than 6 months back

but it does not make sense if the 'Last Change' column does
the job and we need a "status quo"!

Also, does pointing bookmarked records could help for
a faster selection?

What about performances?
Performances and time for search sounds good on
Place, Event or Citation selectors?

What about selectors for Reports?

regards,
Jérôme

En date de : Sam 26.3.16, Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> a écrit :

              2) If I understood your proposal
 correctly, there is a plan to eliminate
 the "Last Changed" column

         NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Re: New selectors?

Ron,

What about your feature request:
   8762: Last Used places in the Select Place window

Re: New selectors?

What about it?  (I probably don't know what selectors are...)

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: New Selectors?

rider
I use the 'Last Change' column extensively.  Please, please, please do
not remove it.

I have the 'Last Change' column showing in all views, and I can easily
flip back and forth among the last few entries in each category.  I can
quickly share notes, media, citations, etc. among several people with
just a simple sort of the 'Last Change' column and a few mouse clicks.
This is faster for me than using the clipboard.

Filters are useful for many things, but having to interrupt one's train
of thought on a stream of data entry tasks to figure out filters to get
to all the places one need to go seems tedious.  But maybe I'm just not
understanding how you are wanting to make this change.