New strings

Eero Tamminen
Hi,

The new template.pot got ~300 new strings.

Why there are separate strings for things like:
        He was born on %(birth_date)s in %(birth_place)s.
        He was born %(modified_date)s in %(birth_place)s.

How the "modified_date" differs from "birth_date" (or whatever)?
Couldn't the same keyword (e.g. "date") be used in the both cases?

        - Eero

Re: New strings

Stefan Björk
> How the "modified_date" differs from "birth_date" (or whatever)?
> Couldn't the same keyword (e.g. "date") be used in the both cases?

No, no, don't change this! I've just fixed them all. Don't render my
work useless! :-)

Stefan (still needs sleep)

Re: New strings

Eero Tamminen
Hi,

On Tuesday 27 September 2005 00:28, Stefan Björk wrote:
> > How the "modified_date" differs from "birth_date" (or whatever)?
> > Couldn't the same keyword (e.g. "date") be used in the both cases?
>
> No, no, don't change this! I've just fixed them all.
>
> Don't render my work useless! :-)

Well, "modified_date" wasn't used in so many of them (maybe <10%).

> Stefan (still needs sleep)

I understand the need for separate strings when there's gender involved, but
in which language date "modification" (whatever that is) needs a separate
string?

        - Eero

Re: New strings

Don Allingham
I haven't had a chance to notify everyone of this, because I am still
working on in.

The "modified_date" is for date ranges or dates with "after" or "before"
or "around".

For example, if we didn't have this, we would get strings like:

"He was born on from 1/1/2000 to 1/4/2000."

Dates have a lot of funny implications on the text.

Don

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 00:35 +0300, Eero Tamminen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The new template.pot got ~300 new strings.
>
> Why there are separate strings for things like:
> He was born on %(birth_date)s in %(birth_place)s.
> He was born %(modified_date)s in %(birth_place)s.
>
> How the "modified_date" differs from "birth_date" (or whatever)?
> Couldn't the same keyword (e.g. "date") be used in the both cases?
>

> - Eero

Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org