Newbee question: Limit on the number of generations in relationship calculator ?

Newbee question: Limit on the number of generations in relationship calculator ?

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI

I am new here, having moved to Gramps (under Linux) after years, or even decades of using the LDS' Personal Ancestral File 5 (under Windows).

I noticed that where PAF5 correctly tells me that an ancestor is my great to the 19th grand-father, Gramps tells me we are not related.

But I can split it in two, if I use as a relay an ancestor 9 or 10 generations back, Gramps fins the intermediate as my ancestor, and the far one as ancestor of the intermediate.

Is that a known problem ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                   Women should be obscene and not absurd.
                                           -- Groucho Marx

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: Newbee question: Limit on the number of generations in relationship calculator ?

J. Allen Crider-2
Look at preferences (Edit->Preferences).  On the General tab there is a
setting for "Max generations for relationships".  Increase that so that
it finds what you want (it probably needs to be at least 21 or 22 for
your example).

Allen Crider

On 12/20/18 4:45 AM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:

> I am new here, having moved to Gramps (under Linux) after years, or even decades of using the LDS' Personal Ancestral File 5 (under Windows).
>
> I noticed that where PAF5 correctly tells me that an ancestor is my great to the 19th grand-father, Gramps tells me we are not related.
>
> But I can split it in two, if I use as a relay an ancestor 9 or 10 generations back, Gramps fins the intermediate as my ancestor, and the far one as ancestor of the intermediate.
>
> Is that a known problem ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.

Re: Newbee question: Limit on the number of generations in relationship calculator ?

Welcome Ron

In addition to Allen's suggestion..

In the Preferences settings, go to the Display tab, and set the Status
Bar to display the relationship to the Home Person.

And to make sure you have the final piece... to set the Home Person you can...
a) in a person list, select the person, them go to the menu Edit >>
Set Home Person ... or...
b) in the person's edit window, in any blank area (I typically use the
are where Tags are listed), right click... Make Home Person

HTH Dave

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 6:05 AM Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am new here, having moved to Gramps (under Linux) after years, or even decades of using the LDS' Personal Ancestral File 5 (under Windows).
>
> I noticed that where PAF5 correctly tells me that an ancestor is my great to the 19th grand-father, Gramps tells me we are not related.
>
> But I can split it in two, if I use as a relay an ancestor 9 or 10 generations back, Gramps fins the intermediate as my ancestor, and the far one as ancestor of the intermediate.
>
> Is that a known problem ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.
> --
>                    Women should be obscene and not absurd.
>                                            -- Groucho Marx
>
>                    -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: Newbee question: Limit on the number of generations in relationship calculator ?

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 14:22:55 -0500
Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition to Allen's suggestion..

My thanks to both you and Allen; it works, and thanks to your kind help William the Conqueror is again my great to the 19th grand father  ;-3)

Cheers,

Ron.
--
If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately cease
   using counterfeit hieroglyphic alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --