[Newbie] Problem Exporting to XML

Mike Loney
Doug,

Can't raise a feature request on link supplied, as I don't have
authority (so message says).
I tried logging in to sourceforge.net, but it says my login/password is
incorrect! I've asked for password to be reset, but nothing yet!

I can login to gramps-users mailing list, but I guess this isn't same as
login in to sourceforge, as I can't get to bug reports from there and so
I guess this isn't same place as you directed me to.

As for editing the file, I have Geany as well as Libreoffice, I'll just
have to see which is best.

Ron,

Sadly Linux users get such niceties from free, whereas Windows users
have to pay, and my free copy of Winzip was telling me my trial had
finished!! hohum

Josip,

Thanks, I wasn't aware Gzip came with Gramps, I'll give that a try next
time.

Thanks all,

Mike

Re: [Newbie] Problem Exporting to XML

Helge.Herz-2
Am 16.05.2015 18:07, schrieb Mike Loney:
> Josip,
>
> Thanks, I wasn't aware Gzip came with Gramps, I'll give that a try next
> time.
>
> Thanks all,

Mike,
you may also use jEDIT (for Win) from http://www.jedit.org/.
It's a java based editor having beside other features the ability to
direct open a .gramps by automatic unzip. Than you may edit the content
and save the result (in-place if you want). The content will be gzip-ed
as gramps did before.
- Helge

Re: [Newbie] Problem Exporting to XML

Mike,
> Can't raise a feature request on link supplied, as I don't have
> authority (so message says).
Did you try the sign-up page:
https://gramps-project.org/bugs/signup_page.php ?

I signed up long ago, so I have no idea how the process is now. A new
account may need to be authorized by one of our administrators. I'm just
a developer.

regards,

Re: [Newbie] Problem Exporting to XML

On 05/16/2015 11:07 AM, Mike Loney wrote:
Ron,

I forgot to mention your comment i.e.
You converted the multi-file gramps database into a single-file
representation of the database.  IOW, gramps didn't just *copy* the
individual database files into one big tarball.
Does that mean it has copied ALL trees to the file, not just the one that was open

No.  Each tree is a separate database.  For example, note directory "54c098be".

$ dir .gramps/grampsdb/
total 16
drwxrwxr-x 2 ron ron 4096 2015-05-02 05:20:06 54c098be/
drwxrwxr-x 2 ron ron 4096 2015-03-24 05:20:17 54c098d6/
drwxrwxr-x 2 ron ron 4096 2015-04-07 05:20:12 54c098e4/
drwxrwxr-x 2 ron ron 4096 2015-01-26 05:54:23 54c1422b/

$ gramps -l
List of known Family Trees in your database path

/home/ron/.gramps/grampsdb/54c098be with name "Collins-Costa"
/home/ron/.gramps/grampsdb/54c098d6 with name "Gilbert-Bakewell"
/home/ron/.gramps/grampsdb/54c098e4 with name "Johnson-Lyle"
/home/ron/.gramps/grampsdb/54c1422b with name "Robert Lyle"

--
"Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty sure to be a
crime to examine the laws of heat." Christopher Morley

On 05/16/2015 11:02 AM, Mike Loney wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Sadly Linux users get such niceties from free, whereas Windows users
> have to pay, and my free copy of Winzip was telling me my trial had
> finished!! hohum

7-Zip is free, and the second thing I installed on my work laptop after
Firefox.  http://www.7-zip.org