Newbie: Where is my data file?

KimFella
This post was updated on .
I just started with GrampsAIO64 4.2.1 (Windows 10) and am having a lot of grief getting started. While I was waiting to receive the gedcom file I wanted, I just started adding people to a new 'Vanorman' family.  But I have no idea where this file actually is.

Then I got the gedcom I wanted and Imported it.  (I kinda think I should have 'Opened' it instead, as it appears to have added it's data to my Vanorman data.)  But again I have no idea where the data file is, assuming it isn't part of the Vanorman data.

So, what it all boils down to is, where are the data files kept?  And what are their names and dot extensions?

Once I get this sorted there are lots of questions on how to use GRAMPS.

Thank you.

Edit 2016/01/19 about 4:25pm

Well, I did a backup and at least found out where the backups are stored.  Still can't find the big GEDCOM data file (I can find the .ged file, but not what should have been created as a data file when I imported it.) (or for that matter my Vanorman data file, just the Vanorman backup .gpkg file.)

I created a 'Data' directory/folder under the GrampsAIO64 4.2.1 directory (since it makes sense to me to store the Gramps data with the rest of gramps stuff) but it seems I can't backup to this directory.  That may be related to administrator privledges, even though I'm the only one using this computer. AARG!
Maybe I should create a 'Genealogy' directory and store data files for any and all Families there. I dunno.  Maybe.

Re: Newbie: Where is my data file?

KimFella
KimFella wrote
[...]

Found it! in C:\Users\(me)\AppData\Roaming\gramps\grampsdb

I think it was in the Configure dialog.

Re: Newbie: Where is my data file?

Peter Hewett-2

------------------------
From: Kimfella <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:32:03 -0800 (PST)
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Newbie: Where is my data file?

> KimFella wrote
>> I just started with GrampsAIO64 4.2.1 (Windows 10) and am having a lot of
>> grief getting started. While I was waiting to receive the gedcom file I
>> wanted, I just started adding people to a new 'Vanorman' family.  But I
>> have no idea where this file actually is.
>>
>> Then I got the gedcom I wanted and Imported it.  (I kinda think I should
>> have 'Opened' it instead, as it appears to have added it's data to my
>> Vanorman data.)  But again I have no idea where the data file is, assuming
>> it isn't part of the Vanorman data.
>>
>> So, what it all boils down to is, where are the data files kept?  And what
>> are their names and dot extensions?
>>
>> Once I get this sorted there are lots of questions on how to use GRAMPS.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Edit 2016/01/19 about 4:25pm
>>
>> Well, I did a backup and at least found out where the backups are stored.
>> Still can't find the big GEDCOM data file (I can find the .ged file, but
>> not what should have been created as a data file when I imported it.) (or
>> for that matter my Vanorman data file, just the Vanorman backup .gpkg
>> file.)
>>
>> I created a 'Data' directory/folder under the GrampsAIO64 4.2.1 directory
>> (since it makes sense to me to store the Gramps data with the rest of
>> gramps stuff) but it seems I can't backup to this directory.  That may be
>> related to administrator privledges, even though I'm the only one using
>> this computer. AARG!
>> Maybe I should create a 'Genealogy' directory and store data files for any
>> and all Families there. I dunno.  Maybe.
>
> Found it! in C:\Users\(me)\AppData\Roaming\gramps\grampsdb

I recommend that you leave the Gramps files (database, plugins, etc)
where Gramps puts them. You don't need to work with these, and there is
a very high likelihood that something will get broken if you try. The
raw database file is not transportable, so it is unlikely that you would
be able to use it if you did make a backup copy of it.

The way to make a backup is using the File > Backup menu within Gramps.
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees#Backing_up_a_Family_Tree

I use a working directory of family history files (scans of records,
photos, charts, ancestry reports, etc) that I am working with. But I
leave all the files that Gramps makes and uses in it's own directory
(~/.gramps/ on my PC).

HTH

Peter