Newbie question on naming conventions

Vladimir Perić
Alright, so, I've always been interested in genealogy, but it was really GRAMPS that sparked my interest again, so... yay for GRAMPS! Still, I'm fairly new and I'm unsure on how to handle some stuff, so I hope you all could give me some insight into the matter:

1. For females, should I list their last name by birth or by marriage? I've noticed you can choose what sort of name it is (ie. "Birth name", "Marriage name", "Also known as"...), but you can only enter one and that's the one displayed in the various views. What's the convention here? Should I list everyone by their birth name only, or list females by their marriage (last) names? I can see some advantages to both methods.

2. I like the Events bit, but I'm unsure on how to use 'em exactly. For example, if I'm making Birth events (and hey, most people tend to have one! ;)), what am I supposed to put in the "description" field of the event (IIRC, there are only description and date fields)? Putting the name of the person involved seems a bit redundant. Or should I just leave the descriptions blank and navigate through events via the persons involved in 'em?

These probably sound silly, but I'd rather do it right from the start, than fix up lots of people later (I've already got 300+ people in my database!). In any case, thanks in advance!

--
Vlada Perić

Re: Newbie question on naming conventions

Laura Mellen
2. I like the Events bit, but I'm unsure on how to use 'em exactly. For example, if I'm making Birth events (and hey, most people tend to have one! ;)), what am I supposed to put in the "description" field of the event (IIRC, there are only description and date fields)? Putting the name of the person involved seems a bit redundant. Or should I just leave the descriptions blank and navigate through events via the persons involved in 'em?

These probably sound silly, but I'd rather do it right from the start, than fix up lots of people later (I've already got 300+ people in my database!). In any case, thanks in advance

--
Vlada Perić

You are very smart to do this all right to begin with! I have been doing genealogy for 10+ years, the last year or so with GRAMPS. I have a huge mess because I did not enter information in the correct fields when I started many years ago with a different software program.

As for the naming of the females in your family...I always found it easiest to use maiden names. That is one thing I haven't had to "fix", lol...so I think if you stick with birth names you will be good.

Best wishes, have fun. I'm sure some pros will help you.
Laura

Keep your kids safer online with Windows Live Family Safety. Help protect your kids.

Re: Newbie question on naming conventions

Gerald Britton-2
For events, I usually use an obvious description like:

Birth of Napoleon Dynamite

or

Marriage of Henry Tudor and Anne Boleyn

or

Residence of Samuel Beckett family

2008/7/17 Laura Mellen <[hidden email]>:

> 2. I like the Events bit, but I'm unsure on how to use 'em exactly. For
> example, if I'm making Birth events (and hey, most people tend to have one!
> ;)), what am I supposed to put in the "description" field of the event
> (IIRC, there are only description and date fields)? Putting the name of the
> person involved seems a bit redundant. Or should I just leave the
> descriptions blank and navigate through events via the persons involved in
> 'em?
>
> These probably sound silly, but I'd rather do it right from the start, than
> fix up lots of people later (I've already got 300+ people in my database!).
> In any case, thanks in advance
>
> --
> Vlada Perić
>
> You are very smart to do this all right to begin with! I have been doing
> genealogy for 10+ years, the last year or so with GRAMPS. I have a huge mess
> because I did not enter information in the correct fields when I started
> many years ago with a different software program.
>
> As for the naming of the females in your family...I always found it easiest
> to use maiden names. That is one thing I haven't had to "fix", lol...so I
> think if you stick with birth names you will be good.
>
> Best wishes, have fun. I'm sure some pros will help you.
> Laura

Re: Newbie question on naming conventions

Espen Berg-2
Hi Vlada!
Some thoughts about your questions:

2008/7/17 Vlada Peric <[hidden email]>:

> Alright, so, I've always been interested in genealogy, but it was really
> GRAMPS that sparked my interest again, so... yay for GRAMPS! Still, I'm
> fairly new and I'm unsure on how to handle some stuff, so I hope you all
> could give me some insight into the matter:
>
> 1. For females, should I list their last name by birth or by marriage? I've
> noticed you can choose what sort of name it is (ie. "Birth name", "Marriage
> name", "Also known as"...), but you can only enter one and that's the one
> displayed in the various views. What's the convention here? Should I list
> everyone by their birth name only, or list females by their marriage (last)
> names? I can see some advantages to both methods.

1. I prefer to use the maiden names as the primary names for a female
person.  If I happen to know their name after marriage, I add that
information to the tab "Names".  You can add as many names to a person
as you like in the "Name"-tab in the "Edit Person" dialog.  The maiden
name will follow a person throughout the life.  A person can marry
several times (not very unusual in this part of the world) so then -
which married name should one use when registering the person in the
database?  Then it is more convenient to register the different
married names in the "Name"-tab.

> 2. I like the Events bit, but I'm unsure on how to use 'em exactly. For
> example, if I'm making Birth events (and hey, most people tend to have one!
> ;)), what am I supposed to put in the "description" field of the event
> (IIRC, there are only description and date fields)? Putting the name of the
> person involved seems a bit redundant. Or should I just leave the
> descriptions blank and navigate through events via the persons involved in
> 'em?

2. I haven't written anything in the "Description"-field, but that's
because I started using GRAMPS after registering a few thousands in
another program and haven't bothered to go through all the events of
all the persons.  Just remember to register all events for the persons
you register in your database - birth, christening, confirmation,
death, burial, marriage(s), occupations and so on.  The very most
important is to register the source for all the events!  DO register
all sources of where you find information about the persons.  The
source must be fully documented - title, page, line number, author,
location (repository) and so on to do it possible to go back to the
source and verify at a later stage.  This is what all genealogists
miss in the very beginning (me included).  You will be very thankful
to yourself if you are accurate with your sources :)

> These probably sound silly, but I'd rather do it right from the start, than
> fix up lots of people later (I've already got 300+ people in my database!).
> In any case, thanks in advance!

Questions like these are definetely not silly, but very useful.  Very
good that you raise these question at an early stage to avoid too much
extra work to your already existing data.  It is easy to go through
300 persons and update/add/verify that the information is accuratetly
and correct.  It is more time consuming and tedious work to do the
same with several thousand persons.

Good luck with your genealogy research.  Remember that it is very easy
to get addicted, and it doesn't exist any remedy to prevent it:)

Espen

Re: Newbie question on naming conventions

Martin Steer-2
"Vlada Peric" <[hidden email]> writes:

> 2. I like the Events bit, but I'm unsure on how to use 'em exactly.
> For example, if I'm making Birth events (and hey, most people tend to
> have one! ;)), what am I supposed to put in the "description" field of
> the event (IIRC, there are only description and date fields)? Putting
> the name of the person involved seems a bit redundant. Or should I
> just leave the descriptions blank and navigate through events via the
> persons involved in 'em?

Hi Vlada,

I'm also a new user, so there are probably wiser heads around. But
here's what I've been doing.

Don't leave event descriptions blank. Fill them in so you can navigate
through them directly when you need to. You might, for example, want to
reuse some (e.g. for another family member who is at a birth or burial).

Gramps (3.0.1) has a tool for automatic generation of simple
descriptions (Tools > Database Processing > Extract Event Descriptions
from Event Data). It won't overwrite an existing (custom) description,
but will fill in all blank event descriptions, with something such as
"Birth of Smith, John". The information isn't redundant in a list of
many events, but essential.

Now, how to deal with sources, repositories, and the internet...

Cheers

--
Martin