Nicknames, Stage Names

phil wharram

--
Hi All
I have a lady whose registerd birth name was Henrietta Theresa who
trhoughout her life was known as Queenie however I cannot get a display
in Person or Relationships which would show Henrietta Theresa (Queenie)
or similar
Also another lady whose stage name was Marie Santoi but birth name Mary
and would like to achive Mary (Marie Santoi) or similar

Anybody got any other ways of dealing with this

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

Re: Nicknames, Stage Names

Dave Scheipers
Hi Phil

I assume you are putting the state names in the Nickname field. To
have the Nickname display as part of the displayed name you need to
edit the display name.

Under the Edit menu >> Preferences >> Display tab >> Name format.

There are a few pre-built options in the drop-down list. If these do
not meet your needs, you can add and edit your own. Whichever one you
select will be used by all records and affect how names are displayed
and sorted in lists. If you use the "Nickname" or (Nickname), the
quotes or parentheses will only display when the person's field is
filled.

FYI: many reports allow you to set a different display option for the
report that does not affect the display within gramps.

Additionally, there is the Name tab under the person's edit screen.
This is where you can add additional alternate names to a person's
record. So a person can have a Birth Name and a Also Known As name.
The name that is displayed is the one you drag-n-drop into the
Preferred name slot. Additionally, you can alter the display and sort
name independent of the display name you set in preferences. This
change only affects this one record.

I hope this helps, dave

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 2:55 PM, phil wharram
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> --
> Hi All
> I have a lady whose registerd birth name was Henrietta Theresa who
> trhoughout her life was known as Queenie however I cannot get a display in
> Person or Relationships which would show Henrietta Theresa (Queenie) or
> similar
> Also another lady whose stage name was Marie Santoi but birth name Mary and
> would like to achive Mary (Marie Santoi) or similar
>
> Anybody got any other ways of dealing with this
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries

Re: Nicknames, Stage Names

phil wharram

Hi Dave
So many options to learn but the first is the one I was after, worked a
treat probably not strictly what was intended for "nickname" but works
for me the stage names did vary and along with married name so I am
already using the alternate names just could not get a display I liked.
The theatricals loved to make life complicated for the family historian

Thanks very much for such a speedy response

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries