Non-printable character corruption

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Is there way to ID a non-printable character in a field?

I recently filed a bug having to do with a GRAMPS version 5 beta1-3 error message when doing an auto-backup. There was a helpful reply that the type of error was typically due to a missing or corrupted event.

When I ran the validation tool, I found some invalid dates and I had been playing with the Date display options. Only 1 had an invisible corruption... a year (no day or month) trailing non-printable character. The others were simple... Like day & month without year or where I had century indicated by 19?? Instead of "from 1900 to 1999"

I suspect the problem is due to that non-printable character flummoxing the date parser. It's strange because usually the date input usually cleans out extra crap automatically.

Does anyone know of an inspection tool for this database?  It would be great if there were a Hex viewer gramplet for the selected field value. If I knew the character code causing problems in various places, I could do RegEx searches for it and clean them out.

Re: Non-printable character corruption

Philip Weiss
Can you cut and paste into this web page?

http://www.online-toolz.com/tools/string-functions.php#

Entering a form feed character, for instance, shows up there.  Tough if you don't know which particular objects have the bad character embedded however.

Phil.

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dave Scheipers
I have no idea if this will work, but try...

Export the event list to a CSV file and then import to a spreadsheet
or text file to see if the extra characters show up. Maybe make sure
that the 'View Non-printing characters" is checked.

Don't know if this will work with the website Phil suggests.

Dave