Nook or Notebook and Gramps

Jean McClendon
Hello, I currently use Linux Ubuntu 16.04 using Gramps 4.2.2 on my
laptop and will shortly be going to Microsoft Windows 10 and am not sure
how well my gramps trees and media folder will transition to Windows 10
becasue of the way I have the media folder set up.

Although Enno has sent me several links on how to increase the 250
character length in Windows 10 I am still not sure it will transition
without problems.   I am considering getting an inexpensive Notebook or
a Nook (if this would work), to have just my Gramps programming and
Media folders on it but being able to go online for updates and etc. I
was thinking something like the Samsung Galaxay Tab ELite 7 with 8 GB of
memory (as long as I keep just my genealogy items hopefully this would
be adequate but they also have one that is 16GB).  How would this work
with Gramps? How would I back it up as I am not sure it has a USB hub
where I could plug in an external hard drive to it?  I have even seen an
RCA Voyager 7" 16 GB tablet Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) but I know nothing
about either the Samsung or the RCA.  Would they have to be converted to
Linux or is this even possible? Does anyone have any suggestions as to
how to accomplish any of this?  Thank you.

Re: Nook or Notebook and Gramps

Ron Johnson
Jean,

A notebook computer would work just fine, but the Samsung and RCA tablets are Android systems.  While they technically are Linux systems, they aren't Linux like we normally think of it, and so TTBOMK Gramps won't work on them.

On 07/14/2018 10:34 AM, Jean McClendon wrote:
[...]

If you manage to get in trouble with filepaths or filenames breaking Windows' 255 character limit, you can always substitute the 8dot3 (short file name) equivalent.  They're usually easier to deal with from the command prompt or when using batch files.

So if you're exploring a folder with a picture named "My totally awesome panoramic picture from our 2010 trip to the Grand Canyon.jpg" you might want to use the Short File Name instead.
(Where possible, it'll be the 1st 6 letters of the larger filename, a tilde "~", a number, dot, and the 3-letter file extension.)

The 8dot3 equivalents for the entire folder can be listed with the command:
   dir /x
or just the "m" files matching J-Pegs wildcards;
   dir m*.j* /x

One additional consideration is that the file system slows down anytime there are more than 255 files or sub-folders within a folder level.

So, to quote Steve Martin, "Let's get small!"

 Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Nook or Notebook and Gramps
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 8:59 PM

[...]

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Nook or Notebook and Gramps

255 files is such a small number that I'm *really* skeptical about that.
(Especially since NTFS is used by so many businesses who put a lot more than
255 files in a folder and don't see any performance degradation.

On 07/15/2018 09:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
[snip]
> One additional consideration is that the file system slows down anytime there are more than 255 files or sub-folders within a folder level.

Re: Nook or Notebook and Gramps

Keeping under 255 items to a folder is about optimizing performance.  NTFS certainly CAN handle higher files counts but there's a performance hit due to the extra CPU cycles needed to fallback to the alternate command.

Unfortunately, the newer version commands capable of handling such things are also far less efficient. They're not optimized because modern programmers can afford to be sloppier than programmers who had to labor under tiny bank-switching KB RAM and MHz rated CPUs limits.

People don't strip excess source code clutter, unused routines, or benchmark algorithms anymore.

Managers have come to the conclusion that throwing multi-core CPUs and Gigs of memory at the problem has better return than finding programmers with optimization skills then paying them to re-write clean code.

It explains why it's now faster to dump the entire file list of a Terabyte hard drive to a text file, import it Excel and use filters to locate a series of files than to use the Windows file searching tools.

 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 10:01 PM

 255 files is such a small number that I'm
 *really* skeptical about that.
 (Especially since NTFS is used by so
 many businesses who put a lot more than
 255 files in a folder and don't see any
 performance degradation.

 On 07/15/2018 09:53 PM, [hidden email]
 [snip]

 --
 Angular momentum makes the world go
 'round.

Re: Nook or Notebook and Gramps

Ron,

About 4 years ago, one of my clients was running into network performance issues on a document management system for a medical billing system. The server was running a current Windows Server OS version on a leading 64bit multi-threaded database app. Which each client we added, the performance degraded disproportionately.

It had a MASSIVE collection of scans, PDFs and medical treatment reports.

The vendor was pushing adding hardware to doube the server count and a fiber backbone. Instead, I decided do diagnostics and found the latency was excessive between file requests the first packets being delivered.

One of the largest performance returns was changing the storage scheme to respect this limit. I built some batch routine to fragment the directories to 200 max (leaving room for temp & hidden files) and others which rebuilt the file pointers in the database.

There were other things that helped... like optimizing network packet size & handling.  But Windows simply has too many pieces that interact and that have been updated in piecemeal fashion. Respecting the early limits simply gives the most consistent best performance.

 To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 11:07 PM

 255 files was a large number 20 years
 ago when FAT32 was the most popular
 file system, but things have gotten a
 *lot* better since Windows 98.  Of
 course, we're always willing to look at
 hard evidence that fs performance
 drops off on modern (aka 2005)
 systems.

 On 07/15/2018 10:51 PM, [hidden email]
 wrote:
 > Keeping under 255 items to a
 folder is about optimizing performance.  NTFS certainly
 CAN handle higher files counts but there's a performance hit
 due to the extra CPU cycles needed to fallback to the
 alternate command.

 > Unfortunately, the newer version
 commands capable of handling such things are also far less
 efficient. They're not optimized because modern programmers
 can afford to be sloppier than programmers who had to labor
 under tiny bank-switching KB RAM and MHz rated CPUs limits.

 > People don't strip excess source
 code clutter, unused routines, or benchmark algorithms
 anymore.

 > Managers have come to the
 conclusion that throwing multi-core CPUs and Gigs of memory
 at the problem has better return than finding programmers
 with optimization skills then paying them to re-write clean
 code.

 > It explains why it's now faster to
 dump the entire file list of a Terabyte hard drive to a text
 file, import it Excel and use filters to locate a series of
 files than to use the Windows file searching tools.

 > On Sun, 7/15/18, Ron Johnson
 <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

 >   Subject: Re: [Gramps-users]
 Nook or Notebook and Gramps
 >   To: [hidden email]
 >   Date: Sunday, July 15,
 2018, 10:01 PM

 >   255 files is such a small
 number that I'm
 >   *really* skeptical about
 that.
 >   (Especially since NTFS is
 used by so
 >   many businesses who put a
 lot more than
 >   255 files in a folder and
 don't see any
 >   performance degradation.
 >
 >   On 07/15/2018 09:53 PM, [hidden email]
 >   wrote:
 >   [snip]
 >   > One additional
 consideration is
 >   that the file system slows
 down anytime there are more than
 >   255 files or sub-folders
 within a folder level.

#1 How massive is MASSIVE?
#2 Would it have sped up just as much if you'd split it into 1000 file
directories?
#3 OTOH... deleting the 2400 files from %TEMP% really sped up my laptop.

A KB article from MS saying "optimize performance by limiting folders to 255
files" would be helpful...

On 07/15/2018 11:57 PM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

> [...]
>   > On Sun, 7/15/18, Ron Johnson
>   <[hidden email]>
>   wrote:
>   >
>   >   Subject: Re: [Gramps-users]
>   Nook or Notebook and Gramps
>   >   To: [hidden email]
>   >   Date: Sunday, July 15,
>   2018, 10:01 PM
>   >
>   >   255 files is such a small
>   number that I'm
>   >   *really* skeptical about
>   that.
>   >   (Especially since NTFS is
>   used by so
>   >   many businesses who put a
>   lot more than
>   >   255 files in a folder and
>   don't see any
>   >   performance degradation.
>   >
>   >   On 07/15/2018 09:53 PM, [hidden email]

I think we're getting getting close to the 'dead horse' point of this conversation so in closing I'll say...

#1 "Massive" with respect to a 2013 single-location medical facility housing 3 dozen providers. But "Laughable" by the standards of modern big data, an insurance company, or a regional network of hospitals. Which makes the experience relevant & appropriately sized for a group discussing a non-commercial, single-user  genealogy application.

#2 I did not experiment at the 1000 count. Thresholds common to OSs & CPUs tend to be binary exponents related to its natural word size.
But number of directories within a folder level must be considered part of the file count limit. It has to do with which size pointers are used for file indices. Larger word sizes exceeding 8bit, 16bit, 32bit (etc.) has a penalty each time the system operationally fails upwards to the larger size word level command instead of natively use the larger word. Until backwards compatibility is no longer a consideration, failing upwards adds processing overhead.

Can't help you with a KB reference. However, Microsoft has traditionally obfuscated optimization.

Users aren't Microsoft OS customers. That's why we're just called 'users.' The customers are the computer hardware vendors. The vendors sell more new computers (and MS sells more licenses) if the relative performance of a new machine installations makes a consumer happy for the first 90 days.

We all know that if Windows garbage collection was better, businesses owners would replace computers far less frequently. (Windows SHOULD have managed that %TEMP% folder so that your manual cleaning would have never been necessary.)

 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Monday, July 16, 2018, 12:39 AM

 #1 How massive is MASSIVE?
 #2 Would it have sped up just as much
 if you'd split it into 1000 file
 directories?
 #3 OTOH... deleting the 2400 files from
 %TEMP% really sped up my laptop.

 A KB article from MS saying "optimize
 performance by limiting folders to 255
 files" would be helpful...

Re: Nook or Notebook and Gramps

Jean McClendon
I have still not transitioned to Windows 10 but have been shortening my
file names as Emyoulation (below) has suggested in my media folder
because of the 255 character restriction with Windows 10. (I am
currently using Linux 16.04 and Ubuntu 4.2.2). I have been writing down
the longer file name  (in a separate note, right now on my desktop and
have also been placing the shortened version after it so I know what to
look for) before changing it to make it easier to find because I know
that I am going to have to change the paths again while still on Linux
in order to have the pictures show up in Gramps.  Which will again have
to be corrected when finally on Windows.

Before I was using the Media Verification tool which shows missing files
and duplicates and was having to make sure that the media file matched
the "missing" file name under media in Gramps (as I had been told to do
without deleting anything from it because then it still showed up as
missing and there would be nothing to change) but as I change to a
shortened file name they are all going to be "missing" and I do not want
to change them back to the longer version and am at a loss as to how to
approach this. (I am not sure how to fix the duplicate ones yet either)
I assume I need to change the paths under preferences with the
substrings as I have had to change even some of the folder names to
shorten them (I think I remember how to do the substrings and have it
saved so I can go back and find it) but how do I make sure that
everything will again show up in Gramps under each person where there is
media involved with out deleting the longer named file in the media
section? I hope I am making myself clear and hope that you can
understand what I am asking. Thank you.

On 07/15/2018 09:53 PM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

> [...]
>         Samsung Galaxay Tab ELite 7 with 8 GB of memory (as
>   long as I keep
>         just my genealogy items hopefully this would be
>   adequate but they
>         also have one that is 16GB).  How would this work
>   with Gramps? How
>         would I back it up as I am not sure it has a USB hub
>   where I could
>         plug in an external hard drive to it?  I have even
>   seen an RCA
>         Voyager 7" 16 GB tablet Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
>   but I know
>         nothing about either the Samsung or the RCA.  Would
>   they have to
>         be converted to Linux or is this even possible? Does
>   anyone have
>         any suggestions as to how to accomplish any of this?
>   Thank you.
>

>       --
>
>         Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

prculley
The Media Verify tool is the one to use.  But it has some preconditions to allowing it to work properly.
This tool uses a file 'checksum' which is based on the media file content to identify each file.  This checksum is stored in the Gramps database along with the file name/path.  The Checksum is generated when you first add the media to Gramps as long as you do it manually.  However, the checksum is NOT generated if you import something from a Gedcom file, as the Gedcom file media paths are rarely correct.  After a Gedcom import you generally have to use the Media Manager Tool to tell Gramps how to rename the substrings of the media paths to point back to your separately imported media files.  But this does NOT generate the checksums, so it is possible that the media file checksums are not all present.

So before you begin modifying media filenames or paths, it is a good idea to make sure the media checksums have been generated.  You can do this with the "Tools/Family Tree Repair/Check and Repair database"  or use the "Tools/Utilities/Media Verify" with the 'Generate' Button to get the checksums fully up to date.

The file name and path can then be changed (within limits) and the Media Verify tool will find the new file path/name when you use the 'Verify' button.  I say 'within limits', because the tool searches starting at the currently configured "Edit/Preferences/General/Base path for relative media paths".  You media must all be located somewhere below that path (in that directory or a sub-directory of it).  I don't think you can put your media on multiple drives on a Windows machine, for instance.  And you would not want to put them all over the place such that you had to use a low root directory to find them, the tool would find every file on you machine (if it did not crash for lack of memory first).

The tool will put renamed or moved media files into a tab called 'Moved/Renamed files" after you use the 'Verify' button.  These can be fixed by using the 'Fix' button, which will change the various media items within the Gramps database to point to the found files.

If you end up with media in the 'Missing files', tab, then the "Edit/Preferences/General/Base path for relative media paths" is not set correctly.

If you end up with media in the 'No md5 Generated' tab, you missed out on generating the checksums before you started, and you will have to fix up each media item manually.

If you end up with media in the 'Duplicate Files' tab, then you can manually delete one of the files mentioned in the comma separated list to save some space on your drive (using your OS file manager or command line).  After that run the tool again to make sure any references to the files deleted get fixed up to point to the non-deleted part of the duplicates.

If you end up with items in the 'Extra Files' tab, well these are not being used by Gramps, you can delete them manually, or add them into Gramps, if they are important to your tree, or just ignore them.

If you end up with items in the 'Errors' tab, then these files were not accessible by Gramps for some reason, possibly due to a security setting.

Paul C.

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 11:30 AM Jean McClendon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>         Samsung Galaxay Tab ELite 7 with 8 GB of memory (as
>   long as I keep
>         just my genealogy items hopefully this would be
>   adequate but they
>         also have one that is 16GB).  How would this work
>   with Gramps? How
>         would I back it up as I am not sure it has a USB hub
>   where I could
>         plug in an external hard drive to it?  I have even
>   seen an RCA
>         Voyager 7" 16 GB tablet Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
>   but I know
>         nothing about either the Samsung or the RCA.  Would
>   they have to
>         be converted to Linux or is this even possible? Does
>   anyone have
>         any suggestions as to how to accomplish any of this?
>   Thank you.
>

>       --
>
>         Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

StoltHD
The 255 file path limitation in Windows 10 is just a Registry setting, really easy to change...

here is a how to : https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

Jaran

Den søn. 12. aug. 2018 kl. 22:39 skrev Paul Culley <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

>         Samsung Galaxay Tab ELite 7 with 8 GB of memory (as
>   long as I keep
>         just my genealogy items hopefully this would be
>   adequate but they
>         also have one that is 16GB).  How would this work
>   with Gramps? How
>         would I back it up as I am not sure it has a USB hub
>   where I could
>         plug in an external hard drive to it?  I have even
>   seen an RCA
>         Voyager 7" 16 GB tablet Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
>   but I know
>         nothing about either the Samsung or the RCA.  Would
>   they have to
>         be converted to Linux or is this even possible? Does
>   anyone have
>         any suggestions as to how to accomplish any of this?
>   Thank you.
>

>       --
>
>         Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

GRAMPS - User mailing list
It's fine to have a valid workaround like this. But modifying a standard setting on the Registry should be done only after considering the drawbacks.

It makes your Gramps data far less Windows portable. You'll have remember to redo this change if you move to another computer or share the Gramps files with anyone.

Also, emergency patches & regularly scheduled MicroSludge updates have a tendency to undo such modifications without notice.  And since only a few of your paths are likely to be constrained by the limit, it is likely to seem to be a spurious error in Gramps on the few affected files.  You'll have to learn (and remember!) to recognize an error symptom that NO ONE else would even consider.

So, if you do this patch, add a reminder to your Scheduled Tasks with the URL suggest by Jaran so that you recheck it regularly.  I have a series of such Reminders done twice a year when there's a Daylight Savings Time change. These include Registry optimization, temp file flushing, testing/replacing batteries on Emergency lighting and Smoke Alarms, motherboard batteries every 3 years, washing machine hose replacements, verifying Anti-Malware settings haven't been circumvented, cleaning fans & heatsinks for electronic equipment, etc.

Brian

On Monday, August 13, 2018, 6:23:50 AM CDT, StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:

The 255 file path limitation in Windows 10 is just a Registry setting, really easy to change...

here is a how to : https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

Jaran

Re: Nook or Notebook and Gramps

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Jean,

Save yourself effort and pain.  Do some of this record-keeping of short filename equivalents to the regular filename from the DOS command line.

1) In Windows explorer, navigate to the topmost folder containing your media files.
2) Click in the addressbar to reveal the explicit path to the media folder. (You'll need to know this navigate to it in the DOS command line.
3) Don't waste the extra effort transcribing it manually. Select & copy this path instead.
4) Open a DOS command line window
   (press 'Windows-R' type 'cmd' in the 'Open:' field and press 'enter')
5) change the current directory (folder) to the media file folder
   type 'cd'  spacebar (paste with Ctrl-v) and press enter
6) output an alphabetically sorted list of filenames and their 8dot3 equivalents of all sub-directories to a text file named 'TempDir.txt' to be created on the desktop of the currently logged-in user.
type the following line and press 'enter'
   dir /ogn /x /s > %userprofile%/desktop/TempDir.txt

Note that this will overwrite any file that already exists with that name on your desktop.
If you want to append another directory listing to that file instead, there's only a single character added to the redirection (overwrite) '>' to (append) '>>'.  So the line would be:
   dir /ogn /x /s >> %userprofile%/desktop/TempDir.txt

The reason I suggest outputting this to a file on your desktop is that you, as a user, may not have sufficient 'rights' to any particular folder.  But you always have rights to write to your desktop.

Also, change Notepad to not "Word Wrap" and change to a non-proportional font to make the text line up cleanly:
 Format :  Fonts... : Courier New

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 9:45:33 AM CDT, Jean McClendon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Simon C. Tremblay
Hey Brian (emyoulation).

Here's a neat trick: In a Windows explorer adressbar, type cmd, ENTER.
(also works if you type "powershell" instead of cmd.)

Also, back to the initial request, I found this command:
dir /s /b | sort /r /+261 /o c:\temp\out.txt

It sorts all the lines with full path longer than 260 at the top of the file.

Regards,

Simon

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 at 12:22, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

There are no problems what so ever with the Operating System part of changing the path lenght in Windows 10... And any and all 64-bit Software shall support it to be able to "call itself" 64-bit (i actually think its automatic in 64-bit applications.

So there shouldn't be any  problems with 64-bit Gramps.

I have run with it since it was possible, and only had problems with a few 32-bit applications, they work as long as the path is 255 (260), but get problems when the path is longer than that... but I have not had any problems with any of all the 64-bit applications I run...

The solution with the registry entry is officially supported by Microsoft.

Jaran

Den tir. 14. aug. 2018 kl. 16:43 skrev Jean McClendon <[hidden email]>:

[...]

enno
Hi Jaran,

> There are no problems what so ever with the Operating System part of
> changing the path lenght in Windows 10... And any and all 64-bit
> Software shall support it to be able to "call itself" 64-bit (i
> actually think its automatic in 64-bit applications.
>
> So there shouldn't be any  problems with 64-bit Gramps.
>
> I have run with it since it was possible, and only had problems with a
> few 32-bit applications, they work as long as the path is 255 (260),
> but get problems when the path is longer than that... but I have not
> had any problems with any of all the 64-bit applications I run...
>
> The solution with the registry entry is officially supported by Microsoft.
Thanks for mentioning that. I advised this for after the transfer to
Windows, just in case there would be paths longer than what Windows can
normally handle. But to my regret, some fellow list members continued on
that, and forgot to address the problem that Jean asked for help for.

AFAIK, Jean still works with Linux, and she needs a strategy to fix all
media paths, and maybe also to shorten them, for the simple reason that
I think that shorter paths are easier to handle, in many ways. And I
cannot help, because I don't have the same version of Gramps, and I
don't run it in English either, so I can't refer to commands and menues
as precise as needed.

Many many months ago, Jean had to recover her tree from a backup, and at
that time, the only backup available was one with media. And the
consequence of that was that after restoring her tree, she had copies of
her media files deep down inside very long paths, that are very very
impractical.

So, what I want to ask all users that run Gramps 4.2 in English to
assist by explaining what one can do when loads of media paths need to
be fixed, and shortened, so that in the end, the transfer to Windows 10
will be easier.

For this operation, I think it's essential to create some sort of
situational awareness, meaning that we can figure out what needs to be
done, and give instructions in the exact language used by her version of
Gramps.

Thanks!

Re: Nook or Notebook and Gramps

Jean McClendon

Thank you Enno for your answer but I need to clarify something. I have been able to shorten the paths from my media to Gramps.  My issue is that many of the file names (.jpg’s etc.) are too long within the folders to meet the 255 character limit when going to Windows, so I had been shortening the names using the method 8dot3 that had been suggested by another member. Now knowing that the link which was sent is approved by Microsoft I may go back to the previous names to reconnect them again to Gramps. I will need to know how to reconnect the substrings paths if I don’t go back and install the increase programming and continue to shorten them. I am trying to look at all potential methods so if the increase in character length doesn't work I still have another option open so I don't have to abandon it entirely.

I appreciate everyones help with my problems. Jean

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

> There are no problems what so ever with the Operating System part of

> changing the path lenght in Windows 10... And any and all 64-bit

> Software shall support it to be able to "call itself" 64-bit (i

> actually think its automatic in 64-bit applications.

> So there shouldn't be any  problems with 64-bit Gramps.

> I have run with it since it was possible, and only had problems with a

> few 32-bit applications, they work as long as the path is 255 (260),

> but get problems when the path is longer than that... but I have not

> had any problems with any of all the 64-bit applications I run...

> The solution with the registry entry is officially supported by Microsoft.

Thanks for mentioning that. I advised this for after the transfer to

Windows, just in case there would be paths longer than what Windows can

normally handle. But to my regret, some fellow list members continued on

that, and forgot to address the problem that Jean asked for help for.

AFAIK, Jean still works with Linux, and she needs a strategy to fix all

media paths, and maybe also to shorten them, for the simple reason that

I think that shorter paths are easier to handle, in many ways. And I

cannot help, because I don't have the same version of Gramps, and I

don't run it in English either, so I can't refer to commands and menues

as precise as needed.

Many many months ago, Jean had to recover her tree from a backup, and at

that time, the only backup available was one with media. And the

consequence of that was that after restoring her tree, she had copies of

her media files deep down inside very long paths, that are very very

impractical.

So, what I want to ask all users that run Gramps 4.2 in English to

assist by explaining what one can do when loads of media paths need to

be fixed, and shortened, so that in the end, the transfer to Windows 10

will be easier.

For this operation, I think it's essential to create some sort of

situational awareness, meaning that we can figure out what needs to be

done, and give instructions in the exact language used by her version of

Gramps.

Thanks!

Re: Nook or Notebook and Gramps

Oldest1