Novice Question - Jpg Media object problem Landscape vrs Portrait

Novice Question - Jpg Media object problem Landscape vrs Portrait

Mike Drummond-2

HI

Firstly great application thanks to the development team and the support community.

I have a small problem with attaching media files .  The problem is simple so I must be doing something obvious wrong 😊 Can some one point me in the right direction.

I am on Windows 10 64bit and Gramps 5

I am attaching graphics files (.JPG) in the Gallery for an event eg Death.   The image (a recent photo) displays as portrait in Windows file manager (icon view) and comes up portrait in the windows photo manager.   However in Gramps when I link to it in gallery it comes up in landscape.  Rotating the image in Windows File manager and resaving does not change the behaviour in Gramps.  So what determines whether  a picture displays as portrait or landscape in the Gallery?    This problem does not manifest it self with older photos or ones that are not in my family collection.

Thanks

Re: Novice Question - Jpg Media object problem Landscape vrs Portrait

Dave Scheipers
Was the original photo taken with a phone? The orientation of the phone shows how the photo is displayed by most newer software. But the picture is actually saved as landscape. I notice this issue with grave photos on FindAGrave. The photo will be in portrait but if you select the view original option, the picture will be on its side.

I still use the older Windows Photo Viewer which shows the original picture and allows easy reorientation instead of the newer Win10 Photos

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM Mike Drummond <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes it was a Samsung Galaxy S7 .  Now your explanation makes sense.  That gives me a way forward I will just sort an appropriate app.

Thanks for such a prompt response.

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 7:29 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lionel Haslam
The Gramps preview shows the picture in the original aspect it was taken.
I use Gimp to rotate the picture and to reduce the size.  (some photos are 10MB))
When the photo is rotated with Gimp it shows in the desired format in GRAMPS and any viewer.