Number of generations.

Erik P. Olsen-2
Is there a way to tweak the number of generations in the pedigree graph?

Erik P. Olsen

Re: Number of generations.

prculley
If you are referring to the Charts/Pedigree View, the 'Configure the active view' button on the toolbar, (fifth from left, looks like a box with hammer and screwdriver) has a 'Tree size" slider.

Paul C.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 3:18 AM, Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a way to tweak the number of generations in the pedigree graph?

Erik P. Olsen

Re: Number of generations.

Are you talking about in the Gramplet?

The pedigree tool is great and I use it a lot.

Mainly to copy a chunk of pedigree to help more clearly describe a deep connection to a distant cousin.  Non-genealogists are often confused when the spouse is not stated and there were blender families.  (Genealogists want both parents to flesh out the missing link in their documentation & databases.) Unfortunately, the Deep Connection gramplet only gives one parent and skips explicitly listing the actual mutual nth great-grandparents of a sibling branching. (Not to mention the Deep Connection gramplet ignores a mutual 7th great-grandparent direct biological connection if it finds a connection like my "great-grand-uncle's sister-in-law's grandnephew."

So I spend a lot of time trimming out the unrelated pedigree below & above the mutual connection.

If you choose to add an option to limit generations, please do NOT add a collapse/expand gadget to each line. It would just be another thing that would have to be manually cleaned out in reformatting before eMailing. (You can't just copy&paste a pedigree because default proportional font &linebreak handling mangles them.)

I already have a hard enough time communicating the simple concept of line graphics that mean "the father branches above & the mother below" in a cleaned pedigree.

 Subject: [Gramps-users] Number of generations.
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Wednesday, February 28, 2018, 3:18 AM