Quantcast

ODT format - can we drop Abiword and KWord now?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

ODT format - can we drop Abiword and KWord now?

Don Allingham
It looks like OpenOffice 2 and AbiWord both fully support ODT
(OpenDocument Text) format. I know that KWord is supposed to support
this as well. Can someone verify this for me?

If this is true, I would like to deprecate the custom AbiWord and KWord
formats, and move to ODT only. Similarly, I would like to drop the .swx
format for OpenOffice 1.x.

Any issues with this?

Don


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (198 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ODT format - can we drop Abiword and KWord now?

Eero Tamminen-3
Hi,

On Thursday 23 November 2006 23:21, Don Allingham wrote:
> It looks like OpenOffice 2 and AbiWord both fully support ODT
> (OpenDocument Text) format. I know that KWord is supposed to support
> this as well. Can someone verify this for me?
>
> If this is true, I would like to deprecate the custom AbiWord and KWord
> formats, and move to ODT only. Similarly, I would like to drop the .swx
> format for OpenOffice 1.x.
>
> Any issues with this?

Hm.  I think any distro on which Gramps 2.2 can run offers at least new
new enough versions of all of these programs that they can read ODT
(mine cannot run Gramps 2.2, but it's security support has been just
dropped so I will be upgrading :)).

But I guess you were more of asking whether the ODT support in those
programs is good enough for all Gramps reports?   As the different Gramps
report output backends are producing different looking output in the apps
already, IMHO at least any small problems in the apps' ODT support shouldn't
prevent deprecating their native format support.


        - Eero

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ODT format - can we drop Abiword and KWord now?

Piotr Czubaszek-2
In reply to this post by Don Allingham
The default file format for KWord is currently also odt. As for me all
formats you named are obsolete and there is no need to keep
(developing) them since ODT is most widespread and multi platform.

Piotrek

On 11/23/06, Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like OpenOffice 2 and AbiWord both fully support ODT
> (OpenDocument Text) format. I know that KWord is supposed to support
> this as well. Can someone verify this for me?
>
> If this is true, I would like to deprecate the custom AbiWord and KWord
> formats, and move to ODT only. Similarly, I would like to drop the .swx
> format for OpenOffice 1.x.
>
> Any issues with this?
>
> Don
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
>
>
>
>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ODT format - can we drop Abiword and KWord now?

Don Allingham
Sounds like we have a plan. By dropping the older formats, we can focus
on making the ODT support as clean as we can get it.

Don

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 22:48 +0100, Piotr Czubaszek wrote:

> The default file format for KWord is currently also odt. As for me all
> formats you named are obsolete and there is no need to keep
> (developing) them since ODT is most widespread and multi platform.
>
> Piotrek
>
> On 11/23/06, Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It looks like OpenOffice 2 and AbiWord both fully support ODT
> > (OpenDocument Text) format. I know that KWord is supposed to support
> > this as well. Can someone verify this for me?
> >
> > If this is true, I would like to deprecate the custom AbiWord and KWord
> > formats, and move to ODT only. Similarly, I would like to drop the .swx
> > format for OpenOffice 1.x.
> >
> > Any issues with this?
> >
> > Don
> >
> >
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
> > Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
> > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
> > http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Gramps-devel mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (198 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ODT format - can we drop Abiword and KWord now?

Duncan Lithgow
In reply to this post by Don Allingham
On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 14:21 -0700, Don Allingham wrote:
> It looks like OpenOffice 2 and AbiWord both fully support ODT
> (OpenDocument Text) format. I know that KWord is supposed to support
> this as well. Can someone verify this for me?
>
> If this is true, I would like to deprecate the custom AbiWord and KWord
> formats, and move to ODT only. Similarly, I would like to drop the .swx
> format for OpenOffice 1.x.
>
> Any issues with this?
I have a slight issue, simply that there's not much gained by physically
dropping the files that make those reports. I do however totally agree
that gramps can drop development of those formats - just keep them
around for a while, they're doing no harm. Can't they be marked as
'depreciated' or something?

Duncan

--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ODT format - can we drop Abiword and KWord now?

Don Allingham
On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 07:14 +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 14:21 -0700, Don Allingham wrote:
> > It looks like OpenOffice 2 and AbiWord both fully support ODT
> > (OpenDocument Text) format. I know that KWord is supposed to support
> > this as well. Can someone verify this for me?
> >
> > If this is true, I would like to deprecate the custom AbiWord and KWord
> > formats, and move to ODT only. Similarly, I would like to drop the .swx
> > format for OpenOffice 1.x.
> >
> > Any issues with this?
> I have a slight issue, simply that there's not much gained by physically
> dropping the files that make those reports. I do however totally agree
> that gramps can drop development of those formats - just keep them
> around for a while, they're doing no harm. Can't they be marked as
> 'depreciated' or something?
>
> Duncan
>
Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way. If something is shipped with
the program, people expect it to work perfectly, no matter what. We had
this same problem when we moved a few of the reports to the
"Unsupported" category. Even though they were clearly marked as
unsupported, people got upset when then did not work.

What it really boils down to, over and over again, is that we have only
a limited number of developers. If we drop things that are no longer
needed, we have a little more time to support things that are needed.


Don

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ODT format - can we drop Abiword and KWord now?

Stian Jordet-3
On lør, 2006-11-25 at 08:54 -0700, Don Allingham wrote:
> Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way. If something is shipped with
> the program, people expect it to work perfectly, no matter what. We had
> this same problem when we moved a few of the reports to the
> "Unsupported" category. Even though they were clearly marked as
> unsupported, people got upset when then did not work.
>
> What it really boils down to, over and over again, is that we have only
> a limited number of developers. If we drop things that are no longer
> needed, we have a little more time to support things that are needed.

While my vote doesn't really count - since all I do on gramps-devel is
whine and ask for features - I really agree with Don here.

This will help the odt-format get more attention and fine tuning in
Gramps, and it will be less burden for the developers with two less
formats to update if a change is needed. And it might even help
odt-format gain users - which we all will gain from :)

A bit late, but thanks for the superb 2.2.x releases. While Gramps has
always rocked, 2.2 really rock my socks off :)

-Stian


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Loading...