OT GEDCOM Error?

victorengel
This is not really a Gramps question, but maybe people here are
familiar enough with GEDCOM formatting to answer the question. I'm
doing some parsing of GEDCOM data and am encountering some surprising
data. The source is ancestry.com, which I think has a reputation of
generating bad files, so maybe that's sufficient explanation. I've
enountered an individual record where there is HTML in the name. Is
that OK? It seems wrong.

I'll try to post the offending code here. Not sure if the email
program will keep it without trying to reformat it, though. What do
you think?

Can I include attachments? I'll try that first. If you know of a
better forum for this question, please let me know.

Victor

P.S. The file is supposed to be a version of gedcom 5.5.

badged.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Re: OT GEDCOM Error?

victorengel
I guess it doesn't matter. Out of over 17000 individuals, this was the
only one with the issue. The problem was with an alternative name. I
fixed it be deleting the alternative name and adding it back again on
the ancestry website.

On 1/20/19, Victor Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is not really a Gramps question, but maybe people here are
> familiar enough with GEDCOM formatting to answer the question. I'm
> doing some parsing of GEDCOM data and am encountering some surprising
> data. The source is ancestry.com, which I think has a reputation of
> generating bad files, so maybe that's sufficient explanation. I've
> enountered an individual record where there is HTML in the name. Is
> that OK? It seems wrong.
>
> I'll try to post the offending code here. Not sure if the email
> program will keep it without trying to reformat it, though. What do
> you think?
>
> Can I include attachments? I'll try that first. If you know of a
> better forum for this question, please let me know.
>
> Victor
>
> P.S. The file is supposed to be a version of gedcom 5.5.

Re: OT GEDCOM Error?

Rich Lakey

I think someone added a reference on the web in a record.  I put two HTTP address in a browser and it took me to the message web page no longer available. That is why I feel it is best to put data from web page in note or gallery so you have control of it and it will not disappear.

Can you view this record for Elizabeth Catherine /Berger/ on ancestry to see if there is a link there? I did a quick search and can fine Elizabeth with this death date but not with 1753 birth date.

Rich