OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

wakou
I have found an extensive family tree online, converted from a GEDCOM file using GED2WEB. If I download the whole site, using wget or similar, would it be possible to convert back to GEDCOM for import into GRAMPS?
The index of names is here:
http://www.kevinbean.plus.com/family_history/Ged2Web/surnames.htm

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

enno
Stephen,
> I have found an extensive family tree online, converted from a GEDCOM file
> using GED2WEB. If I download the whole site, using wget or similar, would it
> be possible to convert back to GEDCOM for import into GRAMPS?
This is a perfect question for http://genealogy.stackexchange.com/

I know that tools exist for the conversion of popular web formats to
GEDCOM, but I have no specific knowledge for GED2WEB.

Gramps has CSV import, if that helps:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.4_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export

regards,

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

Michael Tiernan
On 9/29/14 5:28 AM, wakou wrote:
> I have found an extensive family tree online, converted from a GEDCOM file
> using GED2WEB.
I'm sorry, if you have/had the GEDCOM, why can't you get it again?

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

Alain AUPEIX
Le 29/09/2014 11:28, wakou a écrit :
I have found an extensive family tree online, converted from a GEDCOM file
using GED2WEB. If I download the whole site, using wget or similar, would it
be possible to convert back to GEDCOM for import into GRAMPS?
The index of names is here:
http://www.kevinbean.plus.com/family_history/Ged2Web/surnames.htm
If you install geneweb 6.07 (I think it's the last version), you'll find a tool named gwb2ged which perhaps hepl you ...

[hidden email] gwb2ged -help
Usage: gwb2ged <base> [options]
If both options -a and -d are used, intersection is assumed.
If several options -s are used, union is assumed.
Options are:
  -charset [ASCII|ANSEL|UTF-8]: set charset; default is UTF-8.
  -o <ged>: output file name (default: a.ged)
  -mem : save memory space, but slower
  -a "<1st_name>" [num] "<surname>": select ancestors of
  -d "<1st_name>" [num] "<surname>": select descendants of
  -aws "<1st_name>" [num] "<surname>" : select ancestors with siblings
  -s "<surname>" : select this surname (option usable several times)
  -nsp : no spouses' parents (for options -s and -d)
  -nn : no (database) notes
  -nopicture : Don't extract individual picture.
  -c <num> :
     When a person is born less than <num> years ago, it is not exported unless
     it is Public. All the spouses and descendants are also censored.

A+
--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.8-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2014-09-09 22;51) | HbIDE (Rev.316) | Five.Linux (r138) | Hw.Gui (2285)

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

Michael Skiba
Am Montag, 29. September 2014, 07:12:08 schrieb Michael Tiernan:
> On 9/29/14 5:28 AM, wakou wrote:
> > I have found an extensive family tree online, converted from a GEDCOM file
> > using GED2WEB.
>
> I'm sorry, if you have/had the GEDCOM, why can't you get it again?

He doesn't have the gedcom file for the tree he found online (created by
someone else).

While I'm pretty sure there are existing scrapers that could extract the data
from the website I urgently recommend you contact the owner of that tree.

Not only is it a polite thing to do (after all you want to grab the fruits of
someone elses work, let them know that there are people apprechiating their
work) but most often those webpages are outdated and the researcher has found
new people in the meantime, not to mention you might have the chance to
receive copies of certificates or photos.

Go and try to contact that person first, after all you're probably related
somehow ;-)

--
Kind Regards,
Michael

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

enno
Michael,
> While I'm pretty sure there are existing scrapers that could extract
> the data from the website I urgently recommend you contact the owner
> of that tree.
With a site last updated in 2007, chances of success are quite low, I'm
afraid.

regards,

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:02:53 +0200
Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Enno,

>With a site last updated in 2007, chances of success are quite low, I'm

True, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't even bother trying.

Of course, wakou may well have done so already, without success.  Hence
the question here.

--
 Regards  _
Chose to play the fool in a six piece band

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

enno
Hi Brad,
> Hello Enno,
>
>> With a site last updated in 2007, chances of success are quite low, I'm
> True, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't even bother trying.
>
> Of course, wakou may well have done so already, without success.  Hence
> the question here.
Exactly, and I pointed him to stackexchange for that, hoping that there
are people out there that can help. There's loads of sites with lists of
tools, but many lists look quite useless to me, which why a moderated
Q&A site may be better for this.

With storage costing next to nothing, many sites stay on the web
forever, with their owners either dead, or having moved to another ISP.
I have examples of both in my own tree.

regards,

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:24:01 +0200
Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Enno,

>Exactly, and I pointed him to stackexchange for that, hoping that there

You did;  I missed the significance of that.

>With storage costing next to nothing, many sites stay on the web
>forever, with their owners either dead, or having moved to another ISP.

True now, but not so when some of started on the 'net back in the early
to mid 90s.  How times have changed.   :-)

>I have examples of both in my own tree.

Haven't we all, to some degree?  (rhetorical question)

--
 Regards  _
I'll tell you something, I think that you should know

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

I am a little bit lazy, but at a glance, simple code like:

        import urllib2
        from lxml import etree

        list_of_html_filenames = [..., ..., ..., etc ...]

        for file in list_of_html_filenames:
            f = urllib2.urlopen('file://%s' % file) # wget
            data = f.read()

            get = etree.HTML(data)

            # find text function

            find_text = etree.XPath("//text()", smart_strings=False)

            get.clear()

http://lxml.de/lxmlhtml.html

Thanks folks. I have a contact on Rootschat.com forum, who used to know the owner of the data in question, who is trying to contact him. I have sent emails to the address on the site as well. I am personally only interested n a tiny subset of the data, but with it being unmaintained for so long, I worry that the owner is no longer willing or able to maintain it, and that it might disappear, I thought that if I could grab a copy, I could at least then share it at a later date.
I have another set of research which is in a precisely similar situation, the originator being deceased, and his site only now available on wayback...

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

enno
Hi Stephen,
> Thanks folks. I have a contact on Rootschat.com forum, who used to know the
> owner of the data in question, who is trying to contact him. I have sent
> emails to the address on the site as well. I am personally only interested n
> a tiny subset of the data, but with it being unmaintained for so long, I
> worry that the owner is no longer willing or able to maintain it, and that
> it might disappear, I thought that if I could grab a copy, I could at least
> then share it at a later date.
One warning about the data itself: I found a familiar name on

http://www.kevinbean.plus.com/family_history/Ged2Web/people/p0000078.htm#I12900

and two of his children seem have been born in Boi la duck, Netherlands.
That place does not exist. It is most likely Baerle-Duc:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle-Hertog

regards,

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

ingridvg70
Enno, it is most probably 's-Hertogenbosch (bois-le-duc); according to www.wiewaswie.nl the parents married there.

Ingrid

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

enno
Ingrid,
> Enno, it is most probably 's-Hertogenbosch (bois-le-duc); according to
> www.wiewaswie.nl the parents married there.
Yes, of course.

regards,

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

Bar le Duc ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar-le-Duc

Hi Stephen,
One warning about the data itself: I found a familiar name on http://www.kevinbean.plus.com/family_history/Ged2Web/people/p0000078.htm#I12900 and two of his children seem have been born in Boi la duck, Netherlands. That place does not exist. It is most likely Baerle-Duc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle-Hertog regards, Enno ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Meet PCI DSS 3.0 Compliance Requirements with EventLog Analyzer Achieve PCI DSS 3.0 Compliant Status with Out-of-the-box PCI DSS Reports Are you Audit-Ready for PCI DSS 3.0 Compliance? Download White paper Comply to PCI DSS 3.0 Requirement 10 and 11.5 with EventLog Analyzer http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=154622311&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk _______________________________________________ Gramps-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

enno
Jerome,
> Bar le Duc ???
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar-le-Duc
I knew that too, but Ingrid is most probably right, because it said Boi,
and we have a place called 's Hertogenbosch in the Noord Brabant
province, and that literally means Bois du Duc, or the Duke's wood.

This is also supported by a marriage record on WieWasWie:

https://www.wiewaswie.nl/en/search/search/record-details/a2apersonid/388378690/srcid/7486307/oid/28

This lists the same persons as found on the site, with proper names.

regards,

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

Luc Matthijs

About "boi la Duck", I think it's probably the now Dutch city
"'s-Hertogenbosch" (historically in English: Bois-le-Duc).
English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27s-Hertogenbosch
The "Duc" being Henri I, the first Duke of Brabant (1165-1235).

Regards,

Luc Matthijs
Brussels, Belgium

> Thanks folks. I have a contact on Rootschat.com forum, who used to
> know the owner of the data in question, who is trying to contact him.
> I have sent emails to the address on the site as well. I am personally
> only interested n a tiny subset of the data, but with it being
> unmaintained for so long, I worry that the owner is no longer willing
> or able to maintain it, and that it might disappear, I thought that if
> I could grab a copy, I could at least then share it at a later date.
One warning about the data itself: I found a familiar name on

http://www.kevinbean.plus.com/family_history/Ged2Web/people/p0000078.htm#I12
900

and two of his children seem have been born in Boi la duck, Netherlands.
That place does not exist. It is most likely Baerle-Duc:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle-Hertog

regards,

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

wakou
Hi Guys, just a quick FYI, the originator of the web tree is alive and well, and has responded to my emails..

Re: OT... How to convert a website family tree to GEDCOM

paul womack
wakou wrote:
> Hi Guys, just a quick FYI, the originator of the web tree is alive and well,
> and has responded to my emails..

Best way of all!

  BugBear