Odd behavior when adding children to a family

Odd behavior when adding children to a family

Bill Gee

In the last few days I have noticed an odd behavior when adding children to a family. It seems to me this is not what Gramps should do - but maybe I am missing something.

I start by choosing one child of the family from the Persons list. Click once on that person to highlight the record, then open the Relationships view. Click on one of their parents to make them the selected person.

Add a child to the family. When I am finished with the new person record and click OK, the system does NOT revert to the Relationship view I had where one of the parents was the selected person. It goes back to the -previous- selected person. In this example it will go to a Relationships view with the original child as the selected person.

The thing that makes it REALLY annoying is that I sometimes go to the family from farther out than a child. When it jumps back to the original selected person, I completely lose track of where I am. Several times I have not noticed the jump and have entered a child into the wrong family.

Help - About shows this:

GRAMPS: 5.1.1

Python: 3.7.5 (default, Oct 17 2019, 12:16:48) [...

BSDDB: 6.2.6 (5, 3, 28)

sqlite: 3.30.0 (2.6.0)

LANG: en_US.UTF-8

OS: Linux

Linux - Fedora 31, and the database I am using is on BSDDB.

Is this a bug? Does anyone else see it?

--

Bill Gee

Re: Odd behavior when adding children to a family

GRAMPS - User mailing list
There's definitely a bug the Relationship View where Gramps switches unexpectedly upwards a generation ... or maybe backwards in the recently Active Person list.

It's been intermittently aggravating me for awhile... but I haven't been able to make it repeatable. Or then reproduce the behavior in the example tree. So I couldn't file a useful bug report.

If you have steps which reproduce the glitch reliably, I'd be ever so grateful.

-Brian

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 10:04, Bill Gee

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (206 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Odd behavior when adding children to a family

Bill Gee

Hi Brian -

Here is how I duplicate the issue.

1) In Gramps person view - Click once on a person to select them.

2) Click the Relationships view.

3) From the Relationships view click one of the person's parents. That makes the parent the selected person, and the Relationships view changes to have them as the top person.

4) Add a child to that parent's family as a sibling of the person chosen in step 1.

5) When you click OK to complete data entry for the child, the Relationships view will revert to having the person from step 1 as the selected person.

If I do not change the selected person (leave out step 3), then it behaves as expected.

If you change the selected person several times in step three, then it reverts several people back in the history. I have not been able to figure out just how far back it goes, but it is more than one person.

Does this help you duplicate the issue?

--

Bill Gee

On Friday, December 13, 2019 10:34:52 AM CST Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

> There's definitely a bug the Relationship View where Gramps switches unexpectedly upwards a generation ... or maybe backwards in the recently Active Person list.

> It's been intermittently aggravating me for awhile... but I haven't been able to make it repeatable. Or then reproduce the behavior in the example tree. So I couldn't file a useful bug report.

> If you have steps which reproduce the glitch reliably, I'd be ever so grateful.

> -Brian

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 10:04, Bill Gee<[hidden email]> wrote: #yiv2358585720 p, #yiv2358585720 li {white-space:pre-wrap;}

> In the last few days I have noticed an odd behavior when adding children to a family. It seems to me this is not what Gramps should do - but maybe I am missing something.

> I start by choosing one child of the family from the Persons list. Click once on that person to highlight the record, then open the Relationships view. Click on one of their parents to make them the selected person.

> Add a child to the family. When I am finished with the new person record and click OK, the system does NOT revert to the Relationship view I had where one of the parents was the selected person. It goes back to the -previous- selected person. In this example it will go to a Relationships view with the original child as the selected person.

> The thing that makes it REALLY annoying is that I sometimes go to the family from farther out than a child. When it jumps back to the original selected person, I completely lose track of where I am. Several times I have not noticed the jump and have entered a child into the wrong family.

> Help - About shows this:

> GRAMPS: 5.1.1

> Python: 3.7.5 (default, Oct 17 2019, 12:16:48) [...

> BSDDB: 6.2.6 (5, 3, 28)

> sqlite: 3.30.0 (2.6.0)

> LANG: en_US.UTF-8

> OS: Linux

> Linux - Fedora 31, and the database I am using is on BSDDB.

> Is this a bug? Does anyone else see it?

Re: Odd behavior when adding children to a family

Philip Weiss

On Dec 13 2019, at 11:13 am, Bill Gee <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Brian -

Here is how I duplicate the issue.

1) In Gramps person view - Click once on a person to select them.
2) Click the Relationships view.
3) From the Relationships view click one of the person's parents. That makes the parent the selected person, and the Relationships view changes to have them as the top person.
4) Add a child to that parent's family as a sibling of the person chosen in step 1.
5) When you click OK to complete data entry for the child, the Relationships view will revert to having the person from step 1 as the selected person.

If I do not change the selected person (leave out step 3), then it behaves as expected.

If you change the selected person several times in step three, then it reverts several people back in the history. I have not been able to figure out just how far back it goes, but it is more than one person.

Does this help you duplicate the issue?

--
Bill Gee

> Is this a bug? Does anyone else see it?

i've never been able to reliably duplicate the behavior, but I've also run into it.

Phil.

Re: Odd behavior when adding children to a family

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Using these rules I can duplicate this on my system.

GRAMPS: 5.1.1
Python: 3.5.3 (default, Sep 27 2018, 17:25:39) [...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (5, 3, 28)
sqlite: 3.16.2 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Linux LMDE2

George Baynes

On 13/12/2019 19:54, Philip Weiss wrote:

On Dec 13 2019, at 11:13 am, Bill Gee [hidden email] wrote:

Hi Brian -

Here is how I duplicate the issue.

1) In Gramps person view - Click once on a person to select them.
2) Click the Relationships view.
3) From the Relationships view click one of the person's parents. That makes the parent the selected person, and the Relationships view changes to have them as the top person.
4) Add a child to that parent's family as a sibling of the person chosen in step 1.
5) When you click OK to complete data entry for the child, the Relationships view will revert to having the person from step 1 as the selected person.

If I do not change the selected person (leave out step 3), then it behaves as expected.

If you change the selected person several times in step three, then it reverts several people back in the history. I have not been able to figure out just how far back it goes, but it is more than one person.

Does this help you duplicate the issue?

--
Bill Gee

> Is this a bug? Does anyone else see it?

i've never been able to reliably duplicate the behavior, but I've also run into it.

Phil.

Re: Odd behavior when adding children to a family

Bill;

I've tried to duplicate this issue using the steps you indicate, and I am not able to do so.  So I suspect that what is happening is more subtle than just what you have described.  But it sounds like you may be able to do this repeatedly.

Are you a mouse or keyboard user?  Do you use the alt-keys a lot?

It might be useful to see when exactly the change in the view occurs; can you arrange your windows so that you can see the relationship view main person while adding the new person?  Does the change only occur at 'ok' or earlier?

When the issue has occurred, does the 'Go' history list still show where you started?  If you use the go back or forward arrows on the toolbar, can you get back to where you belong?

Anything you can do to tell us more may assist in finding this issue.

Paul C.

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 1:15 PM Bill Gee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> The thing that makes it REALLY annoying is that I sometimes go to the family from farther out than a child. When it jumps back to the original selected person, I completely lose track of where I am. Several times I have not noticed the jump and have entered a child into the wrong family.

> Help - About shows this:

> GRAMPS: 5.1.1

> Python: 3.7.5 (default, Oct 17 2019, 12:16:48) [...

> BSDDB: 6.2.6 (5, 3, 28)

> sqlite: 3.30.0 (2.6.0)

> LANG: en_US.UTF-8

> OS: Linux

> Linux - Fedora 31, and the database I am using is on BSDDB.

> Is this a bug? Does anyone else see it?

Re: Odd behavior when adding children to a fa

Paul,

On a fresh Tree with example.gramps data, it took attempts in 3 different families using the steps he described. However, on the 3rd cycle, it DID occur.

Unfortunately, I thought maybe the particular Person I was starting (child of the Hom0e Person, then their mutual father) with was not good. So I looked for another person with a Spouse, offspring AND parents.

Needless to say, it took a bit of Back&Forth between the People & Relationship views to find candidates. In doing so, I also filled the Go menu & history (last/next) in the process of navigating the Active selection.

So now I have to start again. Create a Fresh Tree and re-create the process. Once I have a '100% Repeatable' from scratch, I'll post the Bug but continue to try to slim down the steps.

-Brian

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 15:29, Paul Culley

Odd behavior when adding children to a family

Bill Gee

Hi Paul -

I made a screen video of the problem. It is slightly less than 2 megabytes in mp4 format. Can I email that to you? Also, perhaps, to Brian who might also be interested.

I am a keyboard user, as much as possible. Some steps of this require the mouse. It is not a complex process to reproduce. As Brian has found, there may be more going on than is obvious.

The Go list does show where I came from. The forward arrow is greyed out. The backward arrow takes me back to the state I expected to be in - that is, the person I selected becomes the top person in the relationship view.

The change only happens after I click the OK button on the new person dialog.

I do not have to futz around with creating new trees. I can make it happen within a minute of starting Gramps on my normal database. It happens every time I add a person, assuming that I changed the selected person in the relationships view.

Bill Gee

> Bill;

> I've tried to duplicate this issue using the steps you indicate, and I am

> not able to do so. So I suspect that what is happening is more subtle than

> just what you have described. But it sounds like you may be able to do

> this repeatedly.

{much trimmed below here)

Re: Odd behavior when adding children to a family

prculley
I'd be happy to look at your screen video.  I hope I can figure out from the video, although I fear it is some keyboard command that might be having an unexpected side effect.

Paul C.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 7:37 AM Bill Gee <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Paul -

I made a screen video of the problem. It is slightly less than 2 megabytes in mp4 format. Can I email that to you? Also, perhaps, to Brian who might also be interested.

I am a keyboard user, as much as possible. Some steps of this require the mouse. It is not a complex process to reproduce. As Brian has found, there may be more going on than is obvious.

The Go list does show where I came from. The forward arrow is greyed out. The backward arrow takes me back to the state I expected to be in - that is, the person I selected becomes the top person in the relationship view.

The change only happens after I click the OK button on the new person dialog.

I do not have to futz around with creating new trees. I can make it happen within a minute of starting Gramps on my normal database. It happens every time I add a person, assuming that I changed the selected person in the relationships view.

Bill Gee

> Bill;

> I've tried to duplicate this issue using the steps you indicate, and I am

> not able to do so. So I suspect that what is happening is more subtle than

> just what you have described. But it sounds like you may be able to do

> this repeatedly.

{much trimmed below here)