Odd results of Import Merge Tool of Gramps 5 RC1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Odd results of Import Merge Tool of Gramps 5 RC1

PeterPower
Hi,

The Import Merge Tool will be most important for everybody, thanks for
first version, but it is probably not production ready.

I have a Test_A Tree (attached as XML) and through XML Export , New
Tree, import Test_A build Test_C Tree (attached as XML). They are so
totally same.

Having Test_A as active Tree and comparing it with Test_C.gramps the
tool notices that "Tree and Import are same". Ok.

Having Test_C as active Tree and comparing it with Test_A.gramps the
tool notices that 1) persons are "different" 2) events, places and
notice are "missing". Why these ashtoning results? Why not same also ?

Generally speaking, after more testing with large trees I have a feeling
that the tool inconsistently interprets primary objects as "missing" or
"added".

A feature would be nice : a filter by (Status+Object) allows more
focussed and faster handling of results. E.g. list only "added places".
I use tool translated in Finnish, so I guess two first column are
"Status" and "Object" in original English version :-)

Regards

Pekka





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

Test_C.gramps (1K) Download Attachment
Test_A.gramps (566 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odd results of Import Merge Tool of Gramps 5 RC1

enno
Hi Pekka,

I tested your attachments with Gramps 4.2.8 and 5 RC 1, and both tell me
that Test C has changes for both persons, and events, note, and places
added in the file.

Enno


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odd results of Import Merge Tool of Gramps 5 RC1

enno
In reply to this post by PeterPower
Hi Pekka,

> I have a Test_A Tree (attached as XML) and through XML Export , New
> Tree, import Test_A build Test_C Tree (attached as XML). They are so
> totally same.
>
> Having Test_A as active Tree and comparing it with Test_C.gramps the
> tool notices that "Tree and Import are same". Ok.
>
> Having Test_C as active Tree and comparing it with Test_A.gramps the
> tool notices that 1) persons are "different" 2) events, places and
> notice are "missing". Why these ashtoning results? Why not same also ?
Because they are not the same. I renamed both your attachments to .gz,
ran 7-zip to unpack both to uncompressed .gramps files, and then
compared these with WinMerge, which showed that Test_C has 2 events, 3
places, and 1 note that Test_A doesn't have.

The persons have identical handles and IDs, and different change values,
whatever those mean, so it looks like they come from the same tree.

Are you comparing the proper files?

Regards,

Enno


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odd results of Import Merge Tool of Gramps 5 RC1

Ron Johnson
In reply to this post by PeterPower
On 06/18/2018 05:56 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Hi Pekka,
>
>> I have a Test_A Tree (attached as XML) and through XML Export , New Tree,
>> import Test_A build Test_C Tree (attached as XML). They are so totally same.
>>
>> Having Test_A as active Tree and comparing it with Test_C.gramps the tool
>> notices that "Tree and Import are same". Ok.
>>
>> Having Test_C as active Tree and comparing it with Test_A.gramps the tool
>> notices that 1) persons are "different" 2) events, places and notice are
>> "missing". Why these ashtoning results? Why not same also ?
> Because they are not the same.

Then why does the tool say they are the same when Test_A is active?

> I renamed both your attachments to .gz, ran 7-zip to unpack both to
> uncompressed .gramps files, and then compared these with WinMerge, which
> showed that Test_C has 2 events, 3 places, and 1 note that Test_A doesn't
> have.
>
> The persons have identical handles and IDs, and different change values,
> whatever those mean, so it looks like they come from the same tree.
>
> Are you comparing the proper files?

--
Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odd results of Import Merge Tool of Gramps 5 RC1

enno
Op 18-6-2018 om 13:58 schreef Ron Johnson:

> On 06/18/2018 05:56 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Hi Pekka,
>>
>>> I have a Test_A Tree (attached as XML) and through XML Export , New
>>> Tree, import Test_A build Test_C Tree (attached as XML). They are so
>>> totally same.
>>>
>>> Having Test_A as active Tree and comparing it with Test_C.gramps the
>>> tool notices that "Tree and Import are same". Ok.
>>>
>>> Having Test_C as active Tree and comparing it with Test_A.gramps the
>>> tool notices that 1) persons are "different" 2) events, places and
>>> notice are "missing". Why these ashtoning results? Why not same also ?
>> Because they are not the same.
>
> Then why does the tool say they are the same when Test_A is active?
I have no idea, and didn't run it here, since I still work with Gramps
3.4. When A is active, it should mention that the events, note, and
places were added in C, but it's a long time since I tested this myself.

When I saved the attachments, I immediately noticed that they had
different sizes, which is why I asked whether the proper files were
attached.

Enno


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org