Official documentation vs. Wiki

Duncan Lithgow-2
Before I do some work on the documentation wiki I want to hear what the
relationship is between the wiki docs and the docs-to-be-released.

I want to just cleanup around reports and add a bit about GraphViz which
can save others the learning curve I've just been through. GraphVis is
fantastic! I think we really need to highlight what it can do for
visualising our genealogy for all those family members who think it's so
boring and technical. They just want to _see_ something.

Duncan

Re: Official documentation vs. Wiki

Eero Tamminen-3
Hi,

On Friday 18 May 2007, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> Before I do some work on the documentation wiki I want to hear what the
> relationship is between the wiki docs and the docs-to-be-released.
>
> I want to just cleanup around reports and add a bit about GraphViz which
> can save others the learning curve I've just been through. GraphVis is
> fantastic! I think we really need to highlight what it can do for
> visualising our genealogy for all those family members who think it's so
> boring and technical. They just want to _see_ something.

Well, this is not the only way to visualize it... There's also my
Statistical chart[1] thingy with which one could get some statistics
e.g. from causes of deaths, marriage and childbirth ages in given
years etc.

Locating all filtered people onto map would be also pretty easy to do
with Google maps.

        - Eero

[1] I don't have much time for Gramps nowadays, would anybody be
interested to take over the maintainership of this plugin? I'd be glad to be
of any help in that.

There may be some things that could be cleaned up for Gramps 2.4 and it's
a bit misleading that persons are counted twice in some of the charts if one
includes both men and women, there could be some additional statistics
and the look of the charts could maybe also be improved.

For example with Gramps 2.6 on Feisty Kubuntu; with Odt output, the
piediagram legend is lacking all texts and with PDF output, the texts are
there, but the legend is lacking all the colors instead.  I think this is
Gramps ReportUtils problem, not the Statistical Chart one, but somebody
would need to debug it...

Re: Official documentation vs. Wiki

bm-5
Quoting Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>:

> Before I do some work on the documentation wiki I want to hear what the
> relationship is between the wiki docs and the docs-to-be-released.

All work on the wiki is good work!
The wiki is after all part of the documentation.

Concerning the manual, the idea is to put the manual on the wiki, maintain it
there, and extract it from there for use in the gramps program as a docbook.
Nobody has had time to start doing that however, we could use some
non-programming help to set this up (so add english manual on wiki. The
translations would normally still be based on the docbook made from this)
However, when this happens, the manual should be concise, and to the point I
think. It is better to have the basics of the graphviz export there, and link
to a wiki page on using graphviz for all details. Otherwise the manual
runs the
risk of being too hard to read/use for beginners.

Re: Official documentation vs. Wiki

jerome
Benny,

> the idea is to put the manual on the wiki, maintain it there, and extract it from there for use in the gramps program as a docbook.

to put the manual on the wiki should not be so hard, all <markups> can
be substituted  : <h2>, guimenu, note, listitem, etc ...
Maybe difficulty with images (internal wiki link or a web link ?)

But what is about the second step : "extract it from there for use in
the gramps program as a docbook"

Why not :

1. to put the manual on wiki
2. to retrieve improvements by using diffs and adding good ideas on docbook

I agree, the third stage does not make me jump to the ceiling ...
but we needs a human control. Unless modifying a SGML/HTML/docbook
script with gettext files, dealing with translation memory and msgmerge !!!