On Surname Origin

JACOB WIESE
Hello,

In the name editor for a surnames origin should I select the immediate origin (like like my name is from my father so it would be patronymic, and so on for each generation) or is it where the name came from back in history.

BT
73s
Signed/Jacob Edwards Wiese/KD9LWR/Cell 219 221 0486//
CoCoRaHS ID/IN-LP-65//
PGP KEY ID/0x5DC8AC4F5C0330B1//
NNNN

Re: On Surname Origin

Patrick Gerlier
Gramps offers you maximum flexibility.

Apart from the obvious case examplified by Victor Engel, I think it
depends on the emphasis you want to demonstrate, though the general
philosophy is to show "inheritance" or "name structure" in the given
local context (historical, cultural, religious, legal, etc.)

If the then current rule is to inherit name from father, choose
"patrilineal". I flag "matrilineal" when father is not known (child born
outside marriage, whose mother did not disclose father's name -- for
modern times, take name from official record and flag it accordingly).

Matters become more complicated with multi-part names. But Gramps allows
to flag each part independently. Therefore, a newly acquired part could
be "occupation" or "geographic". In Victor Engel's example, Nilsen would
be patronymic and Nøstbakken "geographic".

My name comes from a now defunct occupation. However, it was frozen when
family names were formed, sometime around XIIth-XIVth centuries. I would
flag it "occupation" if my family lines could go back to this time.
Since it is transmitted from generation to generation, I flag it
"patrilineal".

The question may arise when a nickname becomes part of the name like
Gerlier dictus Excoffier. The first time the added part is met, I could
flag it "occupation" if I were sure this is the very first occurrence in
the line. Afterwards, I flag it again "patrilineal" since it it inherited.

Patrick