One Name Studies - Database Software

Ross Gammon
This may be a little off topic, but I am doing a One Name Study of my
surname. I use GRAMPS now to store all of the family trees that I have
collected related to the surname (and eventually create a report to
publish them on the web). I also use the proprietary Custodian software
to store all of the references I find to the surname (e.g. UK births,
marriages & deaths, censuses etc.).
I am constantly switching between GRAMPS and Custodian. I use a unique
ID that I invent so that I can identify the same family trees and people
in both software tools. I use tags in GRAMPS and the person ID for this
purpose. Each event for a person in GRAMPS has a citation for the
relevant index in Custodian if that is where I identified the event.
Hoping that there might be some other GRAMPS users doing one-name
studies, I have the following questions:
1. Does anyone know of any open source efforts to design a Custodian
type tool to collect references to a surname in a set of databases that
can be searched, filtered, sorted, indexed and tagged/grouped etc.?
2. How feasible would it be design a better linkage between these two
tools? It would be nice to be able to link a record in the Custodian (or
other) database directly as a citation/source for an event in any GRAMPS
family tree. When this linkage occurs it would be nice to ease the
process of ensuring the unique family tree and person ID match in both
tools.
Ross
PS: GRAMPS Connect looks like a great way to jointly collate, publish &
edit the various family trees that are related to a surname. I am about
to install it and give it a bash!

Re: One Name Studies - Database Software

Benny Malengier
Custodian is a common english word. Can you give a link to that software?
If it is proprietary, then it is unlikely a link is possible.

Benny

2012/7/13 Ross Gammon <[hidden email]>
[...]

Peter Landgren
Benny,
Found this:
http://www.custodian3.co.uk/default.htm

/Peter

Benny Malengier skrev 2012-07-23 10:38:
[...]

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: One Name Studies - Database Software

Ross Gammon
Yes - that's it Peter.

The system requirements listed on the website include Microsoft Data
Access Components (MDAC), and a quick look in the directory where files
are saved shows that all of the files have the .mdb file extension (a
Microsoft Access database).

The programme also includes an export function, but unfortunately only
to Excel, Text, & HTML.

Ross

2012/7/23 Ross Gammon <[hidden email]>
Yes - that's it Peter.

The system requirements listed on the website include Microsoft Data
Access Components (MDAC), and a quick look in the directory where files
are saved shows that all of the files have the .mdb file extension (a
Microsoft Access database).

The core developers are not really using Windows. So no windows specific components.
What can this program do that Gramps does not? Apart from the specific entry for types of sources (somewhat like the census gramplet in Gramps), I don't see benefits. And it seems as different sources have their own fields, which would indicate their own storage, which is very specific programming Gramps tries to avoid (as it aims for a broad international support).

As it is access, it should be possible to open the store (if not encrypted) and export data like that.

Benny

> [...]

> >         tools.
> >         Ross
> >         PS: GRAMPS Connect looks like a great way to jointly
> >         collate, publish &
> >         edit the various family trees that are related to a surname.
> >         I am about
> >         to install it and give it a bash!
> >

> >         ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >         Live Security Virtual Conference
> >         Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's
> >         security and
> >         threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can
> >         respond. Discussions
> >         will include endpoint security, mobile security and the
> >         latest in malware
> >         threats.
> >         http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

> > Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: One Name Studies - Database Software

Basically, most people doing One Name Studies use a Family Tree
programme like Family Tree Maker to collate many separate family trees
of the same surname. With this software you are trying to connect people
together. I use Gramps now, in Linux, and I am trying to wean myself off
Windows.

They also use something else to collect all the references they find to
a surname. Call me mad, but I have collected all the UK births,
marriages and deaths for my surname (and UK censuses etc). There were
approximately 9000 births for my surname registered in England & Wales
between 1837 and 1983. Some researchers use spreadsheets to record it
all, some construct their own databases, and some still use index cards!
I chose Custodian because at the time I was very lazy, and spreadsheets
didn't seem right for textual data (although I always use them to
collect the information in the first place due to how easy it is to copy
the same text through all the rows, and because you can start typing and
the text from rows above is offered as a suggestion).

It would be nice if all of the records in these databases were available
to Gramps (or stored in Gramps), so that you could pick them as a
citation or something to an event. I had a quick look at the census
gramplet again, and it definitely looks like an example of associating
some rows of data with an event. However, this has a slightly different
structure (eg. the data is entered as a family group - like one citation
- and it is this group that links to the individual).

Ah well, this would be a nice extension for me to have. But I suspect,
it is not core functionality for what 99% of family history researchers
are doing. Maybe I will look into how the census gramplet works, dust
off my "Dive Into Python" book, buy one on XML, and have a play around
myself. I have been looking for an excuse to get back into programming!
I just wanted an idea of how feasible it would be. Any tips welcome!

Thanks for your time.

Ross

On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 21:36 +0200, Benny Malengier wrote:

> [...]
>         respond. Discussions
>         > will include endpoint security, mobile security and the
>         latest in malware
>         > threats.
>         http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
>         > _______________________________________________ Gramps-users
>         mailing list [hidden email]
>         https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

>         Live Security Virtual Conference
>         Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security
>         and
>         threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
>         Discussions
>         will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest
>         in malware
>         threats.
>         http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

Re: One Name Studies - Database Software

jerome
> Basically, most people doing One Name Studies use a Family Tree
> programme like Family Tree Maker to collate many separate family trees
> of the same surname.

I am still using the old common genealogical collaborative usage and
simple direct contact (numerical or postal mails)!
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Lxml_Gramplet#Collaborative_indexes

> They also use something else to collect all the references they find to
> a surname. Call me mad, but I have collected all the UK births,
> marriages and deaths for my surname (and UK censuses etc). There were
> approximately 9000 births for my surname registered in England & Wales
> between 1837 and 1983. Some researchers use spreadsheets to record it
> all, some construct their own databases, and some still use index cards!
> I chose Custodian because at the time I was very lazy, and spreadsheets
> didn't seem right for textual data (although I always use them to
> collect the information in the first place due to how easy it is to copy
> the same text through all the rows, and because you can start typing and
> the text from rows above is offered as a suggestion).

I guess some links might be useful:

* Current Place report (see Reports menu -> Textual reports)
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.4_Wiki_Manual_-_Reports_-_part_6#Place_Report

* CSV file format (import and export)
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.4_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export

* SQL bridge via gramps-connect?
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps-Connect

* Quick (easy) sample for Gramps XML transformation/bridge
(no need to write advanced code!)
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Lxml_Gramplet#Screenshots
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Xsl

* Gramps' certificates?
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_024:_Certificates

I suppose what you are trying to cover could be resumed into:
what is the DB model?

** Event oriented ?
** Source oriented ?
** Record oriented ?

All of them could be already handled into or via gramps (and
gramps-connect): alternate names and no limitation (number, custom, etc
...) on event's type... Gramps' DB model is very flexible.

About handling something like a transcriptions index, this should be
also possible via a pseudo Event or Source centric design (GUI)!!!
See screenshots/samples
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:GEPS_024:_Certificates#See_also

I hope this is what you asked for tips?

Jérôme