One event for many people?

Emma
As a user new to Gramps and relatively new to genealogy, I've been playing
with the program and have come to like it very much already. First of all,
thank you very much to all who have helped develop it!

However, there's one thing about which I wonder if it is possible, and I
can't find information about it at all. If I have a family with many
children, is it possible to attach an event, such as a residence, to the
whole family, or all individuals of this family, in one go? I started off by
making one event and attaching it one at a time to all family members, but
it becomes quite tedious, with risks of mistakes, with larger families. Is
there a way to simplify the process?

Also, on a related note I suppose, I can't get events such as 'mother died'
to automatically appear in a child's list of events. Is there something I'm
missing, or is this just one little imperfection in this otherwise very nice
program? I can obviously do it by hand per person, but would be very happy
to be able to avoid this!

Thanks,
Emma

Re: One event for many people?

Philip Weiss
Go to the event view and find or filter for the event. Then drag the event to a clipboard window (if you aren't familiar with that, it's normally opened via a button in Gramps' button bar).

Next go to the Person view and find the person who also participated in the event. Double click on them to edit. Now drag the event from the clipboard window and drop it onto the person. Save and close the window.

(Alternatively, you can use the Relationships view to easily open the Edit Person window for a series of close relations, then drag and drop an event from the clipboard window to each of them. I find this alternative process easier.)

Note that (unless things have changed) dragging an event from a person to the clipboard puts an "Event Reference" object in the clipboard and not an Event object. Stuff doesn't work as well that way. The only way I've found to cleanly put an event in the clipboard is to drag from the Event view.

Phil.

On Aug 1 2018, at 3:19 pm, Emma <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Welcome Emma

Phil talked about the same event for all family members. I just copy
the event from one person to the clipboard for sharing with other
people. I have never had a database issue doing this; the event
object/reference Phil alluded to. But then again I'm not a developer
and do not know some of these finer points.

To put a mother's death in a child's record, like above, put the
mother's death event in the clipboard and then open each child record
and add it to their list of events. Set the role for these events as
"Son" or "Daughter"

You can "Share" any event with another person where relevant. The main
person is the "Primary" in the Role field. Set the role for any other
people for that person.

HTH Dave

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 6:19 PM, Emma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As a user new to Gramps and relatively new to genealogy, I've been playing
> with the program and have come to like it very much already. First of all,
> thank you very much to all who have helped develop it!
>
> However, there's one thing about which I wonder if it is possible, and I
> can't find information about it at all. If I have a family with many
> children, is it possible to attach an event, such as a residence, to the
> whole family, or all individuals of this family, in one go? I started off by
> making one event and attaching it one at a time to all family members, but
> it becomes quite tedious, with risks of mistakes, with larger families. Is
> there a way to simplify the process?
>
> Also, on a related note I suppose, I can't get events such as 'mother died'
> to automatically appear in a child's list of events. Is there something I'm
> missing, or is this just one little imperfection in this otherwise very nice
> program? I can obviously do it by hand per person, but would be very happy
> to be able to avoid this!
>
> Thanks,
> Emma
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: One event for many people?

In what way doesn't it work well?  (It's always works for me.)

On 08/01/2018 05:35 PM, Philip Weiss wrote:
[snip]
> Note that (unless things have changed) dragging an event from a person to
> the clipboard puts an "Event Reference" object in the clipboard and not an
> Event object. Stuff doesn't work as well that way.

Re: One event for many people?

Philip Weiss
If I drag an event from the Edit Person dialog to the clipboard, I get the following (note Event Ref rather than Event in the Clipboard).

If I then drag that Event Ref to another Edit Person dialog, the event ref for the new person is created with a Role of "Unknown" rather than "Primary". It can be changed, but I forget if I do it this way, so I always drag directly from the Event view.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uLJ789FsL2qLzeLJ6DqdTLCD5WhC3K8y/view?usp=sharing

Phil.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 4:30 PM Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I know. That's why I drag from the Event view. Less for me to screw up that way.

My primary use case for sharing events are Census events and Immigration/Arrival events (when a family arrives together). I have only a few instances where I use secondary or other roles. I mean, I could add a birth event to the mother and set the role to secondary, but I've found that doesn't usually give me the information and context I want. Most of the events in my DB where I use a secondary role are for witnesses on a marriage certificate.

Philip

On Aug 1 2018, at 5:08 pm, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

The Role being set to Unknown is by design.  The dev team could easily set the Role to Primary during a drag-and-drop, but thinks that Unknown is a peachy idea and thus refuse to make the change.

On 08/01/2018 06:51 PM, Philip Weiss wrote:

If I drag an event from the Edit Person dialog to the clipboard, I get the following (note Event Ref rather than Event in the Clipboard).

If I then drag that Event Ref to another Edit Person dialog, the event ref for the new person is created with a Role of "Unknown" rather than "Primary". It can be changed, but I forget if I do it this way, so I always drag directly from the Event view.

Phil.

Re: One event for many people?

I like to do these do these multiple shares like you do, using the Event dragged to the clipboard or from the Events pane sorted on Last Modified.

However, I first go into the Relationships, add and tear-off the Children & Two-Way Fan gramplets.

I find it to avoid losing track of which person is being worked from the Gramplets. I can open the kids in sequence with double-clicks without accidentally changing the Active Person so often.

Unfortunately, I have to right-click and choose Edit from a pull-down in the Two-Way Fan. But it is easier to sequentially hit more generations away without changing your reference person.

Another way to avoid being confused by the Active person changing and re-arranging the visible Relationship is to set the Active person as a TEMPORARY Home person. (Sometimes you have to make a Sibling temporarily active to add a Census or Obit source note to a sibling-in-law, niece or nephew.)

You can just hit the Home button to get back to the same perspective on Relationships.

BTW, put your normal Home person in the clipboard or Bookmark them. Then it's easier to revert to the original Home person.

Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] One event for many people?
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2018, 7:49 PM

I know. That's why I drag from the Event view. Less for me to screw up that way.

My primary use case for sharing events are Census events and Immigration/Arrival events (when a family arrives together).  I have only a few instances where I use secondary or other roles.  I mean, I could add a birth event to the mother and set the role to secondary, but I've found that doesn't usually give me the information and context I want.  Most of the events in my DB where I use a secondary role are for witnesses on a marriage certificate.
Philip

Re: One event for many people?

Emma
That was incredibly fast, thank you so much!

Yes, I'd found the clipboard, but need to get into the habit of using it
more, I suppose. I hadn't realised how very useful it can be. This makes it
so much faster and easier to add to large families. Sounds good!

Your discussion on the use of secondary roles teaches me as well that there
is no one way to do it, it's still a matter of preference. Good to realise!
I'd been fussing a lot about the 'right' way, but will work more on finding
the way I like.

Thank you very much. Off to use your advice now.

Emma

Re: One event for many people?

paul womack
Philip Weiss wrote:
> If I drag an event from the Edit Person dialog to the clipboard, I get the following (note Event Ref rather than Event in the Clipboard).
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xMYU50bwNlBDnS1iIFgP0lEXmrzCFbyG/view?usp=sharing
>
> If I then drag that Event Ref to another Edit Person dialog, the event ref for the new person is created with a Role of "Unknown" rather than "Primary". It can be changed, but I forget if I do it this way, so I always drag directly from the Event view.

I have a batch routine that changes all instances of Residence with Role Unknown (which is nonsense) to have a role
of Primary.

This works very well when working with records which have a single address, but multiple people.

Census and Electoral rolls fall under this heading.

    BugBear

Re: One event for many people?

paul womack
Emma wrote:

> Also, on a related note I suppose, I can't get events such as 'mother died'
> to automatically appear in a child's list of events. Is there something I'm
> missing, or is this just one little imperfection in this otherwise very nice
> program? I can obviously do it by hand per person, but would be very happy
> to be able to avoid this!

It sound like you want something like Ancestry's
Timeline, where the events of a person's close relatives are
shown on a persons's report.

This is more of a display/report issue than an event recording issue;
the Event you want (Death of the mother) is ALREADY in your database.

   BugBear

Re: One event for many people?

On 08/02/2018 02:49 AM, paul womack wrote:

> Philip Weiss wrote:
>> If I drag an event from the Edit Person dialog to the clipboard, I get
>> the following (note Event Ref rather than Event in the Clipboard).
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xMYU50bwNlBDnS1iIFgP0lEXmrzCFbyG/view?usp=sharing
>>

>> If I then drag that Event Ref to another Edit Person dialog, the event
>> ref for the new person is created with a Role of "Unknown" rather than
>> "Primary". It can be changed, but I forget if I do it this way, so I
>> always drag directly from the Event view.
>
> I have a batch routine that changes all instances of Residence with Role
> Unknown (which is nonsense) to have a role
> of Primary.

A program or script of some sort?

> This works very well when working with records which have a single
> address, but multiple people.
>
> Census and Electoral rolls fall under this heading.

Re: One event for many people?

Ed Hamilton

In Linux I use

find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/(Unknown)//g'

in my web report output, so my readers, if any, aren't wondering why someone is "Unknown."

On the overall question, I don't mind things defaulting to "Primary", I'd rather have that than "Unknown". And when I drag and add events to other people, I just change the role as I go along, like to Wife, Son, etc, on a census.

The one line script is for when I forget to do that or for the old events that I never changed.

Philip Weiss wrote:
If I drag an event from the Edit Person dialog to the clipboard, I get the following (note Event Ref rather than Event in the Clipboard).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xMYU50bwNlBDnS1iIFgP0lEXmrzCFbyG/view?usp=sharing

If I then drag that Event Ref to another Edit Person dialog, the event ref for the new person is created with a Role of "Unknown" rather than "Primary". It can be changed, but I forget if I do it this way, so I always drag directly from the Event view.

I have a batch routine that changes all instances of Residence with Role Unknown (which is nonsense) to have a role
of Primary.

A program or script of some sort?

This works very well when working with records which have a single address, but multiple people.

Census and Electoral rolls fall under this heading.

--

My Old Ohio Home
A family history site