Online video interviews

Duncan Lithgow
Hi there

I live in Denmark where almost none of my extended family lives. I enjoy genealogy and the systematic approach however I'm convinced that the most important aspect of genealogy is recording personal stories while people are alive.

So I'm thinking of doing some video interviews online with the many available tools.

Does anyone have experience of this? Any tips? I see two main problems
- convincing people to participate
- helping them feel at easy and as willing to talk as possible.

I'd love some input from you all.

Regards, Duncan

Re: Online video interviews

Arentas
Hi Duncan,
To convince people to do something it's not technology solutions, this more from psychology side of things. You have to have it yourself. Sure it's a skill that can be learned.
First that I think is - you need to have intro storyline whit what you explain your vision of idea and help person to get in mood.
Then in nice way to explain that you maybe recording and it maybe can be good thing both persistent value.
Then you have to have questions beforehand, and maybe dead them not as dry question but get it with your interesting speech.
Not sure how to convince those people to start that video recording conversation with you. As some people must be prepared for this. But in same time they more likely will refuse to do so...
Let me know with your success, as it looks like good idea.

P.s. then you have to be not an selfish and not to leave those recording just for your self and not to share with family and further generations. ;)

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019, 09:34 Duncan Lithgow, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there

I live in Denmark where almost none of my extended family lives. I enjoy genealogy and the systematic approach however I'm convinced that the most important aspect of genealogy is recording personal stories while people are alive.

So I'm thinking of doing some video interviews online with the many available tools.

Does anyone have experience of this? Any tips? I see two main problems
- convincing people to participate
- helping them feel at easy and as willing to talk as possible.

I'd love some input from you all.

Regards, Duncan

Re: Online video interviews

GRAMPS - User mailing list

You might also tap into the selfie phenomenon.

You could record a few conversational questions on YouTube (captioned for the hard-of-hearing) and have people record themselves listening to a question (hitting pause) & responding.

Each person then has full control over whether to send in the recording or re-recording it.

This gets you past their fear of embarrassing themselves and it going viral.

Also, producing the questionnaire video will give you an empathetic discussion point for THEIR recording fears.

-Brian

Re: Online video interviews

Duncan Lithgow
Thanks for your input Brian and Arentas

Is there really no-one who has tried this?