OpenDocument from a programming language

OpenDocument from a programming language

Richard Bos
does anyone know, whether efforts are on the way to make it possible to create
OpenDocument formatted document from a programming language, such as python?
Sofar I know there is a perl module to do it:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/OpenOffice-OODoc/  could this be used in
combination with gramps (It will be hard to do I assume)?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless

Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Don Allingham
This is actually very possible, and planned for in GRAMPS. We had
someone volunteer to do this, but we haven't heard the status for a while.

We already do the same for the OpenOffice 1.0 format.

Don

Op maandag 23 januari 2006 22:43, schreef u:
> This is actually very possible, and planned for in GRAMPS. We had
> someone volunteer to do this, but we haven't heard the status for a while.
>
> We already do the same for the OpenOffice 1.0 format.

You mean, you're using a perl module to created OpenOffice documents?  I
wonder, because I don't see a perl dependency attached to the rpm, though the
docs get created.   I assume you're using a python module for it, isn't it?
Somehow I'm really looking forward to see gramps delivering OpenDocument
formatted docs.  I think that if gramps does I will use it in a class with
11-12 year pupils (next schoolyear).  As it would allow the docs to be
altered with the new OpenOffice (on MS windows), abiword, kword and so on.

Richard Bos wrote:

> Op maandag 23 januari 2006 22:43, schreef u:
>
>>This is actually very possible, and planned for in GRAMPS. We had
>>someone volunteer to do this, but we haven't heard the status for a while.
>>
>>We already do the same for the OpenOffice 1.0 format.
>

> You mean, you're using a perl module to created OpenOffice documents?  I
> wonder, because I don't see a perl dependency attached to the rpm, though the
> docs get created.   I assume you're using a python module for it, isn't it?
> Somehow I'm really looking forward to see gramps delivering OpenDocument
> formatted docs.  I think that if gramps does I will use it in a class with
> 11-12 year pupils (next schoolyear).  As it would allow the docs to be
> altered with the new OpenOffice (on MS windows), abiword, kword and so on.

No, we have written our own OpenOffice interface, and we will write our
own OpenDocument interface.

Fortunately, these formats are XML, and well documented, so while it is
a bit of effort, we can do this.

You can see what we do now in the src/docgen directory. All of our
document interfaces derive from the same class, providing the same
interface. You target the interface of the BaseDoc class, and you can
generate documents for AbiWord, OpenOffice, KWord, RTF, and other formats.

For OpenDocument, we will just write another derived class.

Don

Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Alex Roitman
Richard,

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 22:58 +0100, Richard Bos wrote:
> > We already do the same for the OpenOffice 1.0 format.
>
> You mean, you're using a perl module to created OpenOffice documents?  I
> wonder, because I don't see a perl dependency attached to the rpm, though the
> docs get created.   I assume you're using a python module for it, isn't it?

We are using our own python module, src/docgen/OpenOfficeDoc.py
There's no magic in either perl or python module creating either OOo or
ODF file. One just has to create proper XML files.

Somebody has expressed the intention to work on the ODF backend, but
we haven't heard anything lately on that front.

> Somehow I'm really looking forward to see gramps delivering OpenDocument
> formatted docs.  I think that if gramps does I will use it in a class with
> 11-12 year pupils (next schoolyear).  As it would allow the docs to be
> altered with the new OpenOffice (on MS windows), abiword, kword and so on.

The existing OOo backend produces files that OOo can open, and later
save into ODF. We will support ODF directly, no question about it, but
at this point this is a question of time. We are busy with the 2.1/2.2
tree, and unless somebody volunteers to do ODF right now, it will
have to wait until we have time for it.

If somebody wants to do it, please step forward.
It's not that hard, just takes time.

Alex

Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Serge Noiraud-2
Le lundi 23 Janvier 2006 22:43, Don Allingham a écrit :
> This is actually very possible, and planned for in GRAMPS. We had
> someone volunteer to do this, but we haven't heard the status for a while.
It actually works with some minor problems on 2.0.8 and OpenOffice.org 2.0
I'm testing it on 2.0.1 actually.

I can't use 2.0.9 on my mandriva 10.1. I'll try to test it on an ubuntu next week.

I compiled koffice 1.4.2 on my  Mandriva with kde 3.5. It took 7 days on my P200 machine !
It's actually not working. The opendocument management on koffice is very minimal.

I don't push it in the CVS, but I can if you want.
Sorry for the delay, my machine stops after an hardware problem for 15 days.
I'm very busy for the moment  [ and my wife #@?~! ... ]

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:53:44AM +0100, Serge Noiraud wrote:

> Le lundi 23 Janvier 2006 22:43, Don Allingham a ?crit?:
> > This is actually very possible, and planned for in GRAMPS. We had
> > someone volunteer to do this, but we haven't heard the status for a while.
> It actually works with some minor problems on 2.0.8 and OpenOffice.org 2.0
> I'm testing it on 2.0.1 actually.
>
> I can't use 2.0.9 on my mandriva 10.1. I'll try to test it on an ubuntu next week.
>
> I compiled koffice 1.4.2 on my  Mandriva with kde 3.5. It took 7 days on my P200 machine !
> It's actually not working. The opendocument management on koffice is very minimal.
>
> I don't push it in the CVS, but I can if you want.
> Sorry for the delay, my machine stops after an hardware problem for 15 days.
> I'm very busy for the moment  [ and my wife #@?~! ... ]

Can you provide the diff that have?  I could try to have it build here
on my system.  What is working and what not?  When you provide the diff
please let us know against which gramps version ou made the diff.

--
Richard

Le mardi 24 Janvier 2006 13:03, radoeka a écrit :

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:53:44AM +0100, Serge Noiraud wrote:
> > Le lundi 23 Janvier 2006 22:43, Don Allingham a ?crit?:
> > > This is actually very possible, and planned for in GRAMPS. We had
> > > someone volunteer to do this, but we haven't heard the status for a while.
> > It actually works with some minor problems on 2.0.8 and OpenOffice.org 2.0
> > I'm testing it on 2.0.1 actually.
> >
> > I can't use 2.0.9 on my mandriva 10.1. I'll try to test it on an ubuntu next week.
> >
> > I compiled koffice 1.4.2 on my  Mandriva with kde 3.5. It took 7 days on my P200 machine !
> > It's actually not working. The opendocument management on koffice is very minimal.
> >
> > I don't push it in the CVS, but I can if you want.
> > Sorry for the delay, my machine stops after an hardware problem for 15 days.
> > I'm very busy for the moment  [ and my wife #@?~! ... ]
>
> Can you provide the diff that have?  I could try to have it build here
> on my system.  What is working and what not?  When you provide the diff
> please let us know against which gramps version ou made the diff.

I think the best way is to commit my change. Do you agree don, alex ?
My diff are for the cvs.

Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Alex Roitman
Serge,

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 20:34 +0100, Serge Noiraud wrote:
> > Can you provide the diff that have?  I could try to have it build here
> > on my system.  What is working and what not?  When you provide the diff
> > please let us know against which gramps version ou made the diff.
> >
> I think the best way is to commit my change. Do you agree don, alex ?
> My diff are for the cvs.

Yes, I think committing it is a great idea.
We just talked with Don on irc and both of us think that
this would be great.

I am not sure about diffs though, I thought we have a brand
new OpenDocumentDoc.py module to coexist with the OpenOfficeDoc for
a while. This way we would be able to work out all the rough spots in
ODT without disturbing the working OOo backend. It's important
to remember that some users have OOo<2.0 and cannot use ODT yet,
so we should keep OOo around for some time.

But then again, I can convert your diffs into a new file
just as well :-)

So if you want to send me what you have, it would be great!
I can commit it to the CVS for you, and then everybody can
test and improve it.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Brian Matherly-4
>> Can you provide the diff that have?  I could try to have it build here
>> on my system.  What is working and what not?  When you provide the diff
>> please let us know against which gramps version ou made the diff.
>>
>I think the best way is to commit my change. Do you agree don, alex ?
>My diff are for the cvs.

There should be no "change" per se. This should be a whole new document type to be added to the docgen directory. This isn't a change to an existing report type, it is a whole new one. Currently there are document types named: KwordDoc.py, OpenOfficeDoc.py, AsciiDoc.py, AbiWord2Doc.py. I would call the new one OasisOdtDoc.py or OpenDocumentDoc.py or something like that.

I would just send the new .py file out to the mailing list and let people try it out for a while.

I actually started on one myself last night. It was actually really easy because .odt is based on .sxw. All I had to do was copy the OpenOfficeDoc.py, rename it, and start making changes.

~Brian

Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Brian Matherly-2

Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Duncan Lithgow
Brian Matherly wrote:

> There should be no "change" per se. This should be a whole new
> document type to be added to the docgen directory. This isn't a change
> to an existing report type, it is a whole new one. Currently there are
> document types named: KwordDoc.py, OpenOfficeDoc.py, AsciiDoc.py,
> AbiWord2Doc.py. I would call the new one OasisOdtDoc.py or
> OpenDocumentDoc.py or something like that.

I'm no expert on the implications of this, but it seems to me that
OpenOfficeDoc.py should change it's name to something like
OpenOfficeSxw.py , calling it OpenOfficeDoc could be confusing in the
future.

I'm assuming it will be refered to as something other than
"Openoffice.org Writer document" in the report options dialogue?

Great that this is just around the corner - I'm excited already!

Duncan

Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Brian Matherly-2

 If you are really excited about it, you can try what I have done so far. Here is what you need:

 First, Get the gramps 20 branch from cvs. Open a console and find an empty spot so you can delete it later.  Type the following commands:

         cvs -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/gramps login
         cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/gramps co -r gramps20 gramps2
         cd gramps2

 Copy the two files attached to this email:

         cp /path/to/attached/OpenDocumentDoc.py /src/docgen/
         cp /path/to/attached/Makefile.am /src/docgen/

 Configure the new files:

         ./autogen.sh
         make

 Run gramps

         cd src
         python gramps.py

 When you make a text report, you should see a new Output Format called "OpenDocument  Text"

 So far I have tested the following reports:

  Detailed Decendant Report
     OpenOffice2.0: Looks great
     kword 1.4.2: looks pretty good - first line is not indented properly. This is also true for a document created by OpenOffice

 Detailed Ancestor Report
     OpenOffice2.0: Looks great
     kword 1.4.2: looks pretty good - first line is not indented properly. This is also true for a document created by OpenOffice

 Family Group Report
     OpenOffice2.0: Looks great
     kword 1.4.2: dies trying to open it. It will open one created by OpenOffice

 I haven't tried any graphical reports or reports with media objects. I'm sure they won't look right.

 I'm traveling for the rest of the week. It will be next week before I get a chance to get back to this.

 Regards,

 ~Brian

OpenDocumentDoc.py (50K) Download Attachment
Makefile.am (740 bytes) Download Attachment

Op woensdag 25 januari 2006 05:28, schreef Brian Matherly:
> >I'm assuming it will be refered to as something other than
> >"Openoffice.org Writer document" in the report options dialogue?

It should be OpenDocument as that is the official name of the format.  The
format is used by many other officesuites and calling it Openoffice.org is
therefor not correct.

> >Great that this is just around the corner - I'm excited already!

+1

> >Duncan
>

>  Duncan,
>
>  I would agree. Actually, the naming convention seems to have "Doc.py" as
> the end of all the types. So a more appropriate new name for
> OpenOfficeDoc.py might be OooSxwDoc.py. Otherwise, just as you suggest,
> there could be some confusion.

and OpenDocument.py or OpenDoc.py or OpenDocumentDoc.py for the new one.
I would personnally go for the 2nd one (OpenDoc.py).

Op woensdag 25 januari 2006 14:16, schreef Brian Matherly:

> So far I have tested the following reports:
>
>   Detailed Decendant Report
>      OpenOffice2.0: Looks great
>      kword 1.4.2: looks pretty good - first line is not indented properly.
> This is also true for a document created by OpenOffice
>  Detailed Ancestor Report
>      OpenOffice2.0: Looks great
>      kword 1.4.2: looks pretty good - first line is not indented properly.
> This is also true for a document created by OpenOffice
>  Family Group Report
>      OpenOffice2.0: Looks great
>      kword 1.4.2: dies trying to open it. It will open one created by
> OpenOffice

it would be nice to have this included in the next gramps version indeed.  So
it would be possible to play with it right away :)  Soon koffice-1.5 will be
released with much, much better OpenDocument support.  Perhaps kword would
open the last one (Fam Group Report) as well.

Don, alex Pleasseee :)

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 20:58 +0100, Richard Bos wrote:
> it would be nice to have this included in the next gramps version indeed.  So
> it would be possible to play with it right away :)  Soon koffice-1.5 will be
> released with much, much better OpenDocument support.  Perhaps kword would
> open the last one (Fam Group Report) as well.
>
> Don, alex Pleasseee :)

Worry not! At this very moment, you can already use Brian's
OpenDocumentDoc.py by simply saving it under ~/.gramps/plugins
directory. No further changes necessary!

I just happened to have received the result of Serge's work as well.
I think I will commit his stuff and then ask Brian to merge useful
additions into it. So there's a good chance we will put it into 2.0.10.

But you can always just place the latest plugin into ~/.gramps/plugins
and enjoy right away.

Alex

Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Alex Roitman
Brian,

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 05:16 -0800, Brian Matherly wrote:

>  I'm traveling for the rest of the week. It will be next week
>  before I get a chance to get back to this.

I have committed the new plugin that I received from Serge
into gramps20 branch.

I changed the name to ODFDoc.py to be consistent with naming
of RTFDoc and PDFDoc generators, although the name does not
really matter for the user.

Whenever you have a chance, could you please look over it
and maybe merge changes from your plugin into the one in
the CVS, where it makes sense.

If anybody else would like to do it -- compare Brian's and
Serge's plugins and take the best of both -- it would be also
fine with everybody, I believe.

Thanks,
Alex

Op woensdag 25 januari 2006 21:23, schreef Alex Roitman:
> >  I'm traveling for the rest of the week. It will be next week
> >  before I get a chance to get back to this.
>
> I have committed the new plugin that I received from Serge
> into gramps20 branch.

Open source software is amazing, yesterday I could only hope that gramps would
have ODF support by summer time.  Today it is committed (of course a first
version and it is subject to bugs, but he what can you expect in 23 hours!)

Everyone involved thanks for your contributions!

> I changed the name to ODFDoc.py to be consistent with naming
> of RTFDoc and PDFDoc generators, although the name does not
> really matter for the user.
>
> Whenever you have a chance, could you please look over it
> and maybe merge changes from your plugin into the one in
> the CVS, where it makes sense.
>
> If anybody else would like to do it -- compare Brian's and
> Serge's plugins and take the best of both -- it would be also
> fine with everybody, I believe.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless

Re: [Gramps-devel] Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Brian Matherly-2

Alex,

I think that's a great idea. As time allows I'll try to take the best of both worlds and submit patches. Others feel free to do the same.

~Brian

Re: OpenDocument from a programming language

Richard Bos
Op woensdag 25 januari 2006 21:23, schreef Alex Roitman:
> >  I'm traveling for the rest of the week. It will be next week
> >  before I get a chance to get back to this.
>
> I have committed the new plugin that I received from Serge
> into gramps20 branch.

Is there already an idea about the release date of gramps 2.0.10?  Just an
indication, that's all.