Opening media attached to an event, but not in media editor.

Opening media attached to an event, but not in media editor.

Martnal
I've attached a census form to the census event.  What is the correct way to open the document, to see it at full size, rather than in the Media Editor window?  If I click on it it opens in the editor.  Alternatively, clicking on it, then right-clicking and choosing View Document seems a bit long-winded.

Martin

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Re: Opening media attached to an event, but not in media editor.

Dave Scheipers
Hi Martin,

To open an attached media file directly, right click on the thumbnail >> View

If you do open the Media Reference Editor, there is the Shared information arrow. Click on that then click on the thumbnail.

Yes, either way is cumbersome but when you double-click on the thumbnail of the embedded image, you're selecting the media record not the image itself. May be worth a feature request. Alt-double-click and Shift-double-click both open the media editor. Maybe ask that Ctrl-Click directly open the image? Don't know if it's doable, beyond my understanding of what can be done.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've attached a census form to the census event.  What is the correct way to
open the document, to see it at full size, rather than in the Media Editor
window?  If I click on it it opens in the editor.  Alternatively, clicking
on it, then right-clicking and choosing View Document seems a bit
long-winded.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Opening media attached to an event, but not in media editor.

Martnal
This post was updated on .
Dave, thanks for that.  I should have said that I wanted to open it in the Events screen, after opening the event.  I now realise that if I select Gallery from the bottom bar I can see the thumbnail there.  that has changed my life.  Sad but true.

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Re: Opening media attached to an event, but not in media editor. MORE

Martnal
Dave, (or others) a further related question, should I be attaching the image of a census form to the Event, or to those affected by the event?  Ideally I want to be able to quickly access the image whichever person I am interested in.  Or do I add it to both the Event and the People?

If I should be adding it to the people affected, can I do this as a batch in some way?

I searched the docs for 'tag' but found nothing helpful.

Martin

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Re: Opening media attached to an event, but not in media editor. MORE

Rich Lakey
I attach the image of the census form to the person/Gallery for ease of access and to have all images for a person in one place. I also attach the image to the citation for that census event so the image is attached to the more formal source/citation. Don't know if that is best. Wish the image in the gallery could be attached to the event someway.
Rich

On 03/06/2017 07:10 AM, Martnal wrote:
Dave, (or others) a further related question, should I be attaching the image
of a census form to the Event, or to those affected by the event?  Ideally I
want to be able to quickly access the image whichever person I am interested
in.  Or do I add it to both the Event and the People?

If I should be adding it to the people affected, can I do this as a batch in
some way?

I searched the docs for 'tag' but found nothing helpful.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Opening media attached to an event, but not in media editor. MORE

Martnal
Dave, thanks again for the advice.  It is realising the importance of
consistency that leaves me sitting on the fence. It'll probably only
ever be me that looks at all this.  Is there a way of batch-adding an
image to more than one person, if I decide on that route?

Martin

On 06/03/2017 13:57, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi Martin
>
> I attach the census, birth, death, etc image to the citation. It is
> what you are 'citing' as evidence for the event. Yes, it places the
> images several layers down from the person. I would not put these type
> of images in the person gallery. But that's just me. As a second
> choice, I would the image in the event gallery. Whatever you do, you
> will thank yourself if you are consistent across your database.
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dave, (or others) a further related question, should I be
>     attaching the image
>     of a census form to the Event, or to those affected by the event?
>     Ideally I
>     want to be able to quickly access the image whichever person I am
>     interested
>     in.  Or do I add it to both the Event and the People?
>
>     If I should be adding it to the people affected, can I do this as
>     a batch in
>     some way?
>
>     I searched the docs for 'tag' but found nothing helpful.
>
>     Martin
>

>     -----
>

>     Martin, SW London
>
>     I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.
>
>     I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool),
>     Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London),
>     Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett
>     (Middlesborough and Prescot).
>     --

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´         Martin*´¨)
                                  ¸.·´¸.·*´¨)   ¸.·*¨)
                                 (¸.·´      (¸.·´

---

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Re: Opening media attached to an event, but not in media editor. MORE

Dave Scheipers
That's what the clipboards are for. Once the media record is created, drop it into a clipboard (I typically use the free floating clipboard from the tool bar) and it becomes available to drop into any other gallery. No way (that I know of) to add it to multiple records with a single move. I'm always leery of batch editing, always afraid of making an error and then having to go back to try to find what I did wrong.

If you select multiple records and then select edit, multiple edit screens will stack themselves to be edited. You still edit each record individually but as you save one record, the next one is already queued up in the stack. I often find this helpful if I'm doing the same repetitious edit to a group of records.

Dave

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Martnal <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Dave, thanks, I must try and improve my clipboard use.  I'd forgotten
about it.  Re your second suggestion, I found that out by trial and
error.  Mostly error.

Thanks, M

On 06/03/2017 14:44, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> That's what the clipboards are for. Once the media record is created,
> drop it into a clipboard (I typically use the free floating clipboard
> from the tool bar) and it becomes available to drop into any other
> gallery. No way (that I know of) to add it to multiple records with a
> single move. I'm always leery of batch editing, always afraid of
> making an error and then having to go back to try to find what I did
> wrong.
>
> If you select multiple records and then select edit, multiple edit
> screens will stack themselves to be edited. You still edit each record
> individually but as you save one record, the next one is already
> queued up in the stack. I often find this helpful if I'm doing the
> same repetitious edit to a group of records.
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Martin H. Watson
>
>     Dave, thanks again for the advice.  It is realising the importance
>     of consistency that leaves me sitting on the fence. It'll probably
>     only ever be me that looks at all this.  Is there a way of
>     batch-adding an image to more than one person, if I decide on that
>     route?
>
>     Martin

---