Quantcast

Opposite of merge?

paul womack
I have recently been making extensive use of Gramps' merge
feature. My practice is to make separate induividuals when
I find a document with a name on it where where the "full"
indentity of the induividual is not known.

As the data builds it often becomes possible to
merge these induividuals.

For example a "john smith" who married a "jane doe"
and a "john smith" son of "micheal smith" might turn
out to be the same induividual. It is helpful
NOT to create a single induividual at first.

However, I recently had need to SPLIT an induividual.

It became apparent that I had actually mashed together
the early life of one "john smith" with the later
life of another "john smith". It was fortunate
for me that the data was quite sparse, since
the only way I managed to sort the data
out was to make a new john smith, and transfer
names, citations, events and attributes across
1 at a time via the clipboard, which was tedious.

I could have really benefited from a "duplicate person"
feature, where a second "john smith" could be created
and then edited. Selective deletion of information
from the two "john smiths" would have been much easier
than selective transfer.

  BugBear

Re: Opposite of merge?

Robby
GRAMPS can do it but it's not a single button press.

What you need to do is get the GRAMPS XML export assistant/ export options window up then click on the edit icon on the "Person Filter" line. (looks like a note with a pencil)

This brings up a "Define Filter" window.
Create a filter for the person eg "John smith". Then click OK.
(If you have a bunch of people then you can tag them and use a filter for that tag)

Now when you click on the "Person Filter" selection box your new filter will be at the bottom of the list, which you need to select.

Then click "Calculate previews", which should give "1 person" in the list.

Then complete the export to a file and then do an import which will give you the duplicate person.

Sounds complicated but once you have done it once it is easy the second time around.

Re: Opposite of merge?

paul womack
Robby wrote:

> GRAMPS can do it but it's not a single button press.
>
> What you need to do is get the GRAMPS XML export assistant/ export options
> window up then click on the edit icon on the "Person Filter" line. (looks
> like a note with a pencil)
>
> This brings up a "Define Filter" window.
> Create a filter for the person eg "John smith". Then click OK.
> (If you have a bunch of people then you can tag them and use a filter for
> that tag)
>
> Now when you click on the "Person Filter" selection box your new filter will
> be at the bottom of the list, which you need to select.
>
> Then click "Calculate previews", which should give "1 person" in the list.
>
> Then complete the export to a file and then do an import which will give you
> the duplicate person.
>
> Sounds complicated but once you have done it once it is easy the second time
> around.

Ingeneous - nice way to exploit the "duplicate on import" behaviour
that normally drives ya' crazy!

  BugBear