Organizing Media Files

Re: Organizing Media Files

enno
Alain,
Le 09. 05. 15 15:41, Enno Borgsteede a écrit :
What I like to add is that you don't really need a Gramps_Media folder.
Gramps doesn't care where media are, as long as they can be found, and I
don't have one. My own media are scattered among all sorts of folders
inside Afbeeldingen (pictures) and Documenten (documents), and Gramps
knows where they are, even though I don't have a default media path. My
paths are all relative, meaning that they start with Afbeeldingen or
Documenten, and with an empty media path, Gramps simply appends the
relative media paths to my home folder, and finds everything.
Yes it's not needed, and Gramps can found it without problem.

But having a gramps-media folder and subfolders like I describes has a obvious advantage.

If you want to add an image, you have to browse you hard-disk to first find the folder, and then to find the image.
Well, I can tell that it makes no difference. The contents of my Documents folder are quite a chaos, but when I save new pictures of records or headstones from the web, I always move them to a 'records' folder (not the real name), and when I add media in Gramps, it simply remembers the last folder used, so it selects that 'records' folder anyway.

Really easier and faster ... and elsewhere, using the file manager, for maintenance purpose (for example), is also faster and easier ...
It's easier if it works for you to know where your files are, which folders are the most important to backup, etc., but like I wrote before, Gramps really doesn't care, because it remembers the last used path anyway. A media path can help to create short relative paths, which is nice if you want to restore a backup with media on another computer, even a different OS, but that's about all. It doesn't make Gramps any faster, so it's mainly for humans.

cheers,

Re: Organizing Media Files

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Well, thank you Enno (as usual, your knowledge is always unparalleled)
and Alain.

Enno, your point is very well taken. I appreciate fully that Gramps
can technically handle doing it as you suggest. That said, just for my
own way of keeping things organized, I will likely go a route similar
to Alain's -- I recognize that I'm doing this just for me (being
human) and it will just work better with my own way of staying
organized. But again, I appreciate Gramps's flexibility in finding
such files.

In a slight digression, I just wanted to make a comment on Backups as
Enno mentioned Dropbox, etc. Instead of Dropbox, I use a combination
of SpiderOak and Syncthing for those daily files I need access to
everyday and anywhere.

But for serious and regular backing up of my system, I spend the money
on CrashPlan+ and find that it works very well. For roughly $60 U.S. a
year, you have unlimited backup that works seamlessly on your system
(Windows/Mac/Linux). I use it to maintain many terrabytes of data.
Especially if you archive your images in the TIFF format, etc. I
highly recommend CrashPlan.

Back on subject, Tony Proctor's views on provenance are still
lingering with me and I'm going to be posting another query in that
regard....

Thank you again to all,

Peter

Re: Organizing Media Files

enno
Peter,
> Enno, your point is very well taken. I appreciate fully that Gramps
> can technically handle doing it as you suggest. That said, just for my
> own way of keeping things organized, I will likely go a route similar
> to Alain's -- I recognize that I'm doing this just for me (being
> human) and it will just work better with my own way of staying
> organized. But again, I appreciate Gramps's flexibility in finding
> such files.
Great. I just wanted to make sure that no-one creates some fancy media
folder just because Gramps seems to be asking for it. But if you use
one, please make sure that you don't add any media from outside that
folder, because then Gramps *will* use absolute paths, and that's nasty.

cheers,

Re: Organizing Media Files

Peter (chamdo4ever)
While I still have the utmost respect for Alain and the way that
others do it, deep thought and rereading sections of Tony Proctor's
blog post ( http://parallax-viewpoint.blogspot.com/2015/01/hierarchical-sources.html
) has brought me around to organizing my media files via a provenance
hierarchy.

It does make a tremendous amount of sense, especially when coping with
transcriptions of document images from one source and the images
themselves from another.

That said, I will likely borrow much of Alain's file naming convention
suggestions. I recognize that this will defy some of what Tony says in
his excellent blog post, but as the provenance hierarchy will remain
intact, by the time I get to the file name I'll have a very clear
sense as to where the item comes from and it really will be helpful to
have the names of people represented. Also, the citation on the item
itself will (hopefully) pinpoint it exactly.

So, I've decided to move forward with a Gramps_Media folder and within
that, folders representing repositories. Within the repositories
folders, there will be folders representing the individual sources
(ie: United States Census, 1940), etc. The source folders will then
contain individual files named, for example, like this:

Doe_John_1940-04-16_Census_-_Original_name_of_file_from_site_I_downloaded_it.jpg

Sure, I'll suffer a minor inconvenience when searching for items in
the OS as opposed to within Gramps, but if I truly can't find a file,
I can always look up its path in Gramps. This way will ultimately best
serve me (and my human way of thinking!) and the data.

Thanks again to everyone,

Peter

Re: Organizing Media Files

Suncatcher
DS Blank wrote
> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Garry Seeley <

> seeleywa@.net

> wrote:
>
>> Definitely not a headache for me as I always like to know where my files
>> are and to be able to store, sort and name the files in their physical
>> location. I don't like to rely on software to manage my files. Simple
>> things like backing up or copying files can be problematic if I don't
>> know where they are stored.
>>

> When agreeing with
> Tony, I am suggesting additional functions in Gramps to provide those
> "ample tools". For example, "show me all media related to Mary Calvert and
> descendants". That would be difficult at the filesystem level.

Interested after three years, if such a tool/addon have been added to Gramps
functionality or not? It would be cool to easily access in-place all media
related to one person.