Organizing family trees

Richard Nairn
Hi,

Just started out using gramps and genealogy in general. I was wondering how people are organizing family trees. Seeing that you can have multiple family databases-do people use that for different branches of their tree or do you just use one database.

I have one branch that was extensively researched- 12 generations dating back to the 1600s. Should I sort that out in another database and merge it down the road?

Thanks

Re: Organizing family trees

Ron Johnson
On 07/06/2016 06:23 PM, Richard Nairn wrote:
Hi,

Just started out using gramps and genealogy in general. I was wondering how people are organizing family trees. Seeing that you can have multiple family databases-do people use that for different branches of their tree or do you just use one database.

Yes.  Seriously, we do both.

I have one branch that was extensively researched- 12 generations dating back to the 1600s. Should I sort that out in another database and merge it down the road?

One Gramps feature that made single trees more convenient starting with v4.1 is nested Places.  Before that, Places were stored like address books, whereas now, there's only one United States of America, and all 50 states plus various dependencies are nested under it.  Likewise, all of California's counties are nested under it, etc.  Thus, when merging two trees, you get a lot of duplicates and it can be messy to clean up.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Organizing family trees

Craig Treleaven
Use one database unless you have a compelling reason to split them.  Honestly, I can’t think of any compelling reasons to have more than one database to record your personal research.

I use other databases for GEDCOM files that I’ve received from other researchers.  Usually there is a lot of overlap and I won’t blindly try to merge someone else’s tree with mine.

Craig

> On Jul 6, 2016, at 7:23 PM, Richard Nairn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just started out using gramps and genealogy in general. I was wondering how people are organizing family trees. Seeing that you can have multiple family databases-do people use that for different branches of their tree or do you just use one database.
>
> I have one branch that was extensively researched- 12 generations dating back to the 1600s. Should I sort that out in another database and merge it down the road?

Re: Organizing family trees

Peter Hewett-2

Yes, definitely put all of your family branches in one database.
It is very difficult to merge databases later, if you find that you want
to. But producing reports or charts on just a part of a database is easy.

It is quite possible that different branches of your tree intersect at
different points. For example, a great uncle of mine married my wife's
fourth cousin. It is unlikely I would have found that if I have put my
ancestors and my wife's ancestors in different databases.

HTH

Peter

------------------------
From: Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 20:26:10 -0400

> Use one database unless you have a compelling reason to split them.  Honestly, I can’t think of any compelling reasons to have more than one database to record your personal research.
>
> I use other databases for GEDCOM files that I’ve received from other researchers.  Usually there is a lot of overlap and I won’t blindly try to merge someone else’s tree with mine.
>
> Craig
>
>> On Jul 6, 2016, at 7:23 PM, Richard Nairn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just started out using gramps and genealogy in general. I was wondering how people are organizing family trees. Seeing that you can have multiple family databases-do people use that for different branches of their tree or do you just use one database.
>>
>> I have one branch that was extensively researched- 12 generations dating back to the 1600s. Should I sort that out in another database and merge it down the road?

Re: Organizing family trees

Richard Nairn
Great. Thanks all for your advice...

> On Jul 6, 2016, at 7:51 PM, Peter Hewett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Yes, definitely put all of your family branches in one database.
> It is very difficult to merge databases later, if you find that you want
> to. But producing reports or charts on just a part of a database is easy.
>
> It is quite possible that different branches of your tree intersect at
> different points. For example, a great uncle of mine married my wife's
> fourth cousin. It is unlikely I would have found that if I have put my
> ancestors and my wife's ancestors in different databases.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter
>
> ------------------------
> From: Craig Treleaven <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 20:26:10 -0400
>
>> Use one database unless you have a compelling reason to split them.  Honestly, I can’t think of any compelling reasons to have more than one database to record your personal research.
>>
>> I use other databases for GEDCOM files that I’ve received from other researchers.  Usually there is a lot of overlap and I won’t blindly try to merge someone else’s tree with mine.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>>> On Jul 6, 2016, at 7:23 PM, Richard Nairn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just started out using gramps and genealogy in general. I was wondering how people are organizing family trees. Seeing that you can have multiple family databases-do people use that for different branches of their tree or do you just use one database.
>>>
>>> I have one branch that was extensively researched- 12 generations dating back to the 1600s. Should I sort that out in another database and merge it down the road?

Re: Organizing family trees

Dave Gilmore
Craig's point below is my main reason for multiple databases. Even
though GEDCOM is a standard, not all programs format them the same. And
you don't know how the researcher you are getting it from recorded their
data either. if you import any files you receive into a separate
database you can see how Gramps will handle it before it messes up your
nice, clean, well organized tree.

Another reason to do multiple trees is to test out new techniques on
your data. For instance, if you are inputting information you find on a
census, you can either input it all by hand for all of the people in the
census entry or you can use the Gramps census gramplet. Both methods
record the information in slightly different ways. It will be evident
what is different when you run reports or do GEDCOM exports.

To expand on this, when I start recording information in a new way (like
organizing places, or tagging media or what have you) I can make a
temporary copy of my tree and try out my new technique to see how it
comes out before doing it to 10 generations of information and deciding
I don't like the results. Cleanup is no fun

HTH,

Dave

On 7/6/2016 5:26 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> I use other databases for GEDCOM files that I’ve received from other researchers.  Usually there is a lot of overlap and I won’t blindly try to merge someone else’s tree with mine.
>
> Craig
>
>> On Jul 6, 2016, at 7:23 PM, Richard Nairn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just started out using gramps and genealogy in general. I was wondering how people are organizing family trees. Seeing that you can have multiple family databases-do people use that for different branches of their tree or do you just use one database.
>>
>> I have one branch that was extensively researched- 12 generations dating back to the 1600s. Should I sort that out in another database and merge it down the road?

Re: Organizing family trees

Richard Nairn
All very good points. Thank you for your input.