Quantcast

OsmGpsMap version, etc.

Paul Franklin-5
Hi Serge,

I got tired of seeing the OsmGpsMap warning message type
out every time I started gramps, especially with the longer
message these days, so just for fun I decided to
see if I could install it.

Since I don't want to install git, I downloaded
http://github.com/nzjrs/osm-gps-map/zipball/master
(but when I got it the actual file had a different name:
nzjrs-osm-gps-map-0.7.3-43-g3834f0e.zip ).

Do you know if John Stowers plans to change that?  The
downloaded stuff comes up as 0.8 when you install it
but the ChangeLog only goes up to 0.7.4 and so on.

I'm wondering how the downstream distros will ever
know there is new stuff which they should download?

Thanks.

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

John Ralls-2

On Mar 20, 2013, at 4:50 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Serge,
>
> I got tired of seeing the OsmGpsMap warning message type
> out every time I started gramps, especially with the longer
> message these days, so just for fun I decided to
> see if I could install it.
>
> Since I don't want to install git, I downloaded
> http://github.com/nzjrs/osm-gps-map/zipball/master
> (but when I got it the actual file had a different name:
> nzjrs-osm-gps-map-0.7.3-43-g3834f0e.zip ).
>
> Do you know if John Stowers plans to change that?  The
> downloaded stuff comes up as 0.8 when you install it
> but the ChangeLog only goes up to 0.7.4 and so on.
>
> I'm wondering how the downstream distros will ever
> know there is new stuff which they should download?

John Stowers has no control over that, it's a Github artifact, and if Stowers wants to have actual release tarballs he's going to have to open a project somewhere else because Github has removed that feature. Perhaps you should contact him directly about that.

In the meantime, maybe we should add a "dependencies" folder to our SF file area and host our own osmgpsmap tarball.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

Benny Malengier

2013/3/21 John Ralls <[hidden email]>

On Mar 20, 2013, at 4:50 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Serge,
>
> I got tired of seeing the OsmGpsMap warning message type
> out every time I started gramps, especially with the longer
> message these days, so just for fun I decided to
> see if I could install it.
>
> Since I don't want to install git, I downloaded
> http://github.com/nzjrs/osm-gps-map/zipball/master
> (but when I got it the actual file had a different name:
> nzjrs-osm-gps-map-0.7.3-43-g3834f0e.zip ).
>
> Do you know if John Stowers plans to change that?  The
> downloaded stuff comes up as 0.8 when you install it
> but the ChangeLog only goes up to 0.7.4 and so on.
>
> I'm wondering how the downstream distros will ever
> know there is new stuff which they should download?

John Stowers has no control over that, it's a Github artifact, and if Stowers wants to have actual release tarballs he's going to have to open a project somewhere else because Github has removed that feature. Perhaps you should contact him directly about that.

In the meantime, maybe we should add a "dependencies" folder to our SF file area and host our own osmgpsmap tarball.

This is a good idea.
Serge, can you create a tarbal?
Jerome, can you investigate if we can add a dependency section on SF? Alternatively, we could put it on the gramps server, with a link, just like our xml schema's.

John Ralls

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

jerome
Benny,

What do you think by dependency?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-addons/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-cd/

Or the ability to add new sub-folders?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/

Via sftp, we navigate through an hierarchy like any '/home' folder...
The classical UNIX commands have worked for me.
eg, to add 'Unstable' or a new folder (eg, 3.4.3) is easy.

2013/3/21 Jérôme <[hidden email]>
Benny,

What do you think by dependency?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-addons/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-cd/

No

Or the ability to add new sub-folders?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/

Yes, this. Perhaps it;s possible to add a category like Stable, Unstable? Is that what you mean with a new folder? We would need a 4.0 dependencies, for those things that have no official release yet at the moment (like osmgpsmap)

Beny

Via sftp, we navigate through an hierarchy like any '/home' folder...
The classical UNIX commands have worked for me.
eg, to add 'Unstable' or a new folder (eg, 3.4.3) is easy.

Le 21/03/2013 14:44, Benny Malengier a écrit :
> Jerome, can you investigate if we can add a dependency section on SF?

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

jerome
Benny,

>>     Or the ability to add new sub-folders?
>>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/

> Yes, this. Perhaps it;s possible to add a category like Stable,
> Unstable? Is that what you mean with a new folder? We would need a 4.0
> dependencies, for those things that have no official release yet at the
> moment (like osmgpsmap)

Done!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Dependencies/osmgpsmap/

  I did not use any version number (should be different for 4.1, 5.0,
etc...)!

Note, maybe to also move some files from 'Stable' to less visible
'OldFiles'?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/OldFiles/

We can keep sources (tarball files) accessible via /Stable, and move
some old packages to OldFiles? Maybe synchronization and charge for
sourceforge's servers might like this too?

Jérôme

Le 21/03/2013 17:26, Benny Malengier a écrit :

> 2013/3/21 Jérôme <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Benny,
>
>     What do you think by dependency?
>
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-addons/
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-cd/
>

> No
>

>     Or the ability to add new sub-folders?
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/
>

> Yes, this. Perhaps it;s possible to add a category like Stable,
> Unstable? Is that what you mean with a new folder? We would need a 4.0
> dependencies, for those things that have no official release yet at the
> moment (like osmgpsmap)
>
> Beny
>

>     Via sftp, we navigate through an hierarchy like any '/home' folder...
>     The classical UNIX commands have worked for me.
>     eg, to add 'Unstable' or a new folder (eg, 3.4.3) is easy.
>

>     Le 21/03/2013 14:44, Benny Malengier a écrit :
>      > Jerome, can you investigate if we can add a dependency section on SF?

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

Benny Malengier

2013/3/22 Jérôme <[hidden email]>
Benny,

    Or the ability to add new sub-folders?
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/

Yes, this. Perhaps it;s possible to add a category like Stable,
Unstable? Is that what you mean with a new folder? We would need a 4.0
dependencies, for those things that have no official release yet at the
moment (like osmgpsmap)

Done!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Dependencies/osmgpsmap/

 I did not use any version number (should be different for 4.1, 5.0, etc...)!

Note, maybe to also move some files from 'Stable' to less visible 'OldFiles'?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/OldFiles/

We can keep sources (tarball files) accessible via /Stable, and move some old packages to OldFiles? Maybe synchronization and charge for sourceforge's servers might like this too?

Yes, good idea.

Keep only last 2.2, 3.2, 3.3 versions.
We should make a virtualbox image that runs 2.2, 3.2/3.3 and upload that also somewhere....

Benny

Jérôme

Le 21/03/2013 17:26, Benny Malengier a écrit :

2013/3/21 Jérôme <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

    Benny,

    What do you think by dependency?

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-addons/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps-cd/

No

    Or the ability to add new sub-folders?
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/

Yes, this. Perhaps it;s possible to add a category like Stable,
Unstable? Is that what you mean with a new folder? We would need a 4.0
dependencies, for those things that have no official release yet at the
moment (like osmgpsmap)

Beny

    Via sftp, we navigate through an hierarchy like any '/home' folder...
    The classical UNIX commands have worked for me.
    eg, to add 'Unstable' or a new folder (eg, 3.4.3) is easy.

    Le 21/03/2013 14:44, Benny Malengier a écrit :
     > Jerome, can you investigate if we can add a dependency section on SF?

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

Serge Noiraud-2
Le 20/03/2013 23:50, Paul Franklin a écrit :
> Hi Serge,
Hi Paul,

sorry for the late answer.
I was out of my home and did not have access to my emails.

> I got tired of seeing the OsmGpsMap warning message type
> out every time I started gramps, especially with the longer
> message these days, so just for fun I decided to
> see if I could install it.
>
> Since I don't want to install git, I downloaded
> http://github.com/nzjrs/osm-gps-map/zipball/master
> (but when I got it the actual file had a different name:
> nzjrs-osm-gps-map-0.7.3-43-g3834f0e.zip ).
>
> Do you know if John Stowers plans to change that?  The
> downloaded stuff comes up as 0.8 when you install it
> but the ChangeLog only goes up to 0.7.4 and so on.
John has not finished the osmgpsmap migration.
There are remaining bugs which doesn't impact gramps.
He is working on that and I think this is the reason why we don't have one tarball.

> I'm wondering how the downstream distros will ever
> know there is new stuff which they should download?
>
> Thanks.

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

> Keep only last 2.2, 3.2, 3.3 versions.

I made tests.

eg,

sftp> cd /home/frs/project/gramps

sftp> ls
Dependencies   OldFiles       Stable         Unstable

sftp> cp -rp Stable/2.2.1 OldFiles/2.2.1
Invalid command.

sftp> mv Stable/2.2.1/gramps-2.2.1-1.exe OldFiles/2.2.1/gramps-2.2.1-1.exe
Invalid command.

Any idea?

[...]

    Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.

    http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_mar

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

John Ralls-2

On Mar 23, 2013, at 3:57 AM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Keep only last 2.2, 3.2, 3.3 versions.
>

> I made tests.
>
> eg,
>
> sftp> cd /home/frs/project/gramps
>
> sftp> ls
> Dependencies   OldFiles       Stable         Unstable
>
> sftp> cp -rp Stable/2.2.1 OldFiles/2.2.1
> Invalid command.
>
> sftp> mv Stable/2.2.1/gramps-2.2.1-1.exe OldFiles/2.2.1/gramps-2.2.1-1.exe
> Invalid command.
>

> Any idea?

Yeah, use a naked shell instead of ftp:
http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Shell%20Service/

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

Paul Franklin-5
On 3/23/13, Serge Noiraud <[hidden email]> wrote:
> John has not finished the osmgpsmap migration.
> There are remaining bugs which doesn't impact gramps.
> He is working on that and I think this is the reason why we don't have one
> tarball.

Thank you.

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

> Yeah, use a naked shell instead of ftp:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Shell%20Service/

Well, then something is missing or wrong on sourceforge's documentation...

"Known limitations

Moving files may be accomplished via the shell, but cannot be done with
the web file manager.
Note: download statistics are based on path and filename, so stats for
moved files will be reset. Your total project download count will
include the previous name's stats.
Migration from package/release system

For projects that had releases available for download at the time of the
change to the File Manager facility (July 2009), those files were
migrated to logical folders. This is based upon the package & release names.

In addition to the folders created for migrated package and releases, an
"OldFiles" folder was also created which contains files that were
previously hidden. The "OldFiles" folder is not visible to users
downloading files from your project. If you wish to make a file visible,
simply move it to a different folder."

http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Release%20Files%20for%20Download/

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

John Ralls-2

On Mar 23, 2013, at 12:16 PM, Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Yeah, use a naked shell instead of ftp:
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Shell%20Service/
>
> Well, then something is missing or wrong on sourceforge's documentation...
>
> "Known limitations
>
> Moving files may be accomplished via the shell, but cannot be done with the web file manager.
> Note: download statistics are based on path and filename, so stats for moved files will be reset. Your total project download count will include the previous name's stats.
> Migration from package/release system
>
> For projects that had releases available for download at the time of the change to the File Manager facility (July 2009), those files were migrated to logical folders. This is based upon the package & release names.
>
> In addition to the folders created for migrated package and releases, an "OldFiles" folder was also created which contains files that were previously hidden. The "OldFiles" folder is not visible to users downloading files from your project. If you wish to make a file visible, simply move it to a different folder."
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Release%20Files%20for%20Download/

But you didn't do that. You were using sftp, which doesn't have a 'mv' command. Just ssh in to SF following the directions on the link I gave you, cd to the frs folder, and then use mv.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

jerome
I thought it was an other level according to table of content!

     Release Files for Download (FRS)
     File Manager (Web Interface)
     SCP
     Rsync
     SFTP
     SSH
     Release notes
     Known limitations
     Migration from package/release system

And not specific (child level) to SSH.

OK, I will try SSH.

Thanks!
Jérôme

Le 23/03/2013 20:34, John Ralls a écrit :

> On Mar 23, 2013, at 12:16 PM, Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, use a naked shell instead of ftp:
>>> http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Shell%20Service/
>>
>> Well, then something is missing or wrong on sourceforge's documentation...
>>
>> "Known limitations
>>
>> Moving files may be accomplished via the shell, but cannot be done with the web file manager.
>> Note: download statistics are based on path and filename, so stats for moved files will be reset. Your total project download count will include the previous name's stats.
>> Migration from package/release system
>>
>> For projects that had releases available for download at the time of the change to the File Manager facility (July 2009), those files were migrated to logical folders. This is based upon the package & release names.
>>
>> In addition to the folders created for migrated package and releases, an "OldFiles" folder was also created which contains files that were previously hidden. The "OldFiles" folder is not visible to users downloading files from your project. If you wish to make a file visible, simply move it to a different folder."
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Release%20Files%20for%20Download/
>
> But you didn't do that. You were using sftp, which doesn't have a 'mv' command. Just ssh in to SF following the directions on the link I gave you, cd to the frs folder, and then use mv.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

I have put Serge's fork under Sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Dependencies/osmgpsmap/

> I was out of my home and did not have access to my emails.
> > I got tired of seeing the OsmGpsMap warning message
> type
> > out every time I started gramps, especially with the
> longer
> > message these days, so just for fun I decided to
> > see if I could install it.
> >
> > Since I don't want to install git, I downloaded
> > http://github.com/nzjrs/osm-gps-map/zipball/master
> > (but when I got it the actual file had a different
> name:
> > nzjrs-osm-gps-map-0.7.3-43-g3834f0e.zip ).
> >
> > Do you know if John Stowers plans to change that?
> The
> > downloaded stuff comes up as 0.8 when you install it
> > but the ChangeLog only goes up to 0.7.4 and so on.
> John has not finished the osmgpsmap migration.
> There are remaining bugs which doesn't impact gramps.
> He is working on that and I think this is the reason why we
> don't have one tarball.
> >
> > I'm wondering how the downstream distros will ever
> > know there is new stuff which they should download?
> >
> > Thanks.

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

Peter Landgren
Hi,

I tried it, but I get this error:
checking for gobject-introspection... configure: error: gobject-introspection-1.0 is not installed

I have I have gobject-introspection version 1.34.2 installed

/Peter

Den Monday 25 March 2013 16.35.00 skrev jerome:

> I have put Serge's fork under Sourceforge.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Dependencies/osmgpsmap/

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

Serge Noiraud-2
Le 25/03/2013 18:32, Peter Landgren a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I tried it, but I get this error:
> checking for gobject-introspection... configure: error: gobject-introspection-1.0 is not installed
>
> I have I have gobject-introspection version 1.34.2 installed
You need to have the development part of gobject-introspection.
For ubuntu for example, it's called libgirepository1.0-dev

> /Peter
>
> Den Monday 25 March 2013 16.35.00 skrev jerome:
>> I have put Serge's fork under Sourceforge.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Dependencies/osmgpsmap/

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

Peter Landgren
OK, that made it, almost.

Following the Wiki page on how to start Gramps, I get a number of messages like this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gen/plug/_pluginreg.py", line 1096, in scan_dir
    exec (compile(stream, full_filename, 'exec'),
  File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/plugins/view/view.gpr.py", line 0
SyntaxError: encoding declaration in Unicode string

followed by

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 338, in __startgramps
    Gramps(argparser)
  File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 261, in __init__
    self.vm.init_interface()
  File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line 949, in init_interface
    self.goto_page(defaults[0], defaults[1])
  File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line 1198, in goto_page
    self.current_views[cat_num] = view_num
IndexError: list assignment index out of range

and Gramps quits.

Line 0 in "view.gpr.py" contains:
# encoding:utf-8

If I delete this line Gramps starts and Geography view works!

/Peter

Den Monday 25 March 2013 19.17.30 skrev Serge Noiraud:

> Le 25/03/2013 18:32, Peter Landgren a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried it, but I get this error:
> > checking for gobject-introspection... configure: error:
> > gobject-introspection-1.0 is not installed
> >
> > I have I have gobject-introspection version 1.34.2 installed
>
> You need to have the development part of gobject-introspection.
> For ubuntu for example, it's called libgirepository1.0-dev
>
> > /Peter
> >
> > Den Monday 25 March 2013 16.35.00 skrev jerome:
> >> I have put Serge's fork under Sourceforge.
> >>
> >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Dependencies/osmgpsmap/

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

enno
Hi Peter,

> OK, that made it, almost.
>
> Following the Wiki page on how to start Gramps, I get a number of messages like this:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gen/plug/_pluginreg.py", line 1096, in scan_dir
>      exec (compile(stream, full_filename, 'exec'),
>    File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/plugins/view/view.gpr.py", line 0
> SyntaxError: encoding declaration in Unicode string
>
> followed by
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 338, in __startgramps
>      Gramps(argparser)
>    File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 261, in __init__
>      self.vm.init_interface()
>    File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line 949, in init_interface
>      self.goto_page(defaults[0], defaults[1])
>    File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line 1198, in goto_page
>      self.current_views[cat_num] = view_num
> IndexError: list assignment index out of range
>
> and Gramps quits.
>
> Line 0 in "view.gpr.py" contains:
> # encoding:utf-8
>
> If I delete this line Gramps starts and Geography view works!
I saw similar errors in trunk a few days ago, but they were cured, and
Helge reported that the errors he saw in gramps40 were gone too. Looks
like you need an svn update.

cheers,

Re: OsmGpsMap version, etc.

John Ralls-2

On Mar 26, 2013, at 5:15 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>> OK, that made it, almost.
>>
>> Following the Wiki page on how to start Gramps, I get a number of messages like this:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gen/plug/_pluginreg.py", line 1096, in scan_dir
>>     exec (compile(stream, full_filename, 'exec'),
>>   File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/plugins/view/view.gpr.py", line 0
>> SyntaxError: encoding declaration in Unicode string
>>
>> followed by
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 338, in __startgramps
>>     Gramps(argparser)
>>   File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 261, in __init__
>>     self.vm.init_interface()
>>   File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line 949, in init_interface
>>     self.goto_page(defaults[0], defaults[1])
>>   File "/home/peter/Gramps/gramps40/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line 1198, in goto_page
>>     self.current_views[cat_num] = view_num
>> IndexError: list assignment index out of range
>>
>> and Gramps quits.
>>
>> Line 0 in "view.gpr.py" contains:
>> # encoding:utf-8
>>
>> If I delete this line Gramps starts and Geography view works!
> I saw similar errors in trunk a few days ago, but they were cured, and
> Helge reported that the errors he saw in gramps40 were gone too. Looks
> like you need an svn update.

This arises from io.open()ing a file in Python2 and then submitting it to compile(). Compile raises that "encoding declararion"
exception if it finds the string "coding:" in the first two lines of a unicode submitted to it. That means that file operations reading python code shouldn't be converted to io.open(); it would be good to put a comment next to them saying why.

That said, there seems to be more than one place where we're reading gpr files. Why? Shouldn't all gpr processing take place in _pluginreg.py?

Regards,
John Ralls