PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Peter Landgren
Devs,

I have a Swedish user who has a person from Japan in his database. His
name is in one of Japanese character sets.
Running "Complete individual report" the result differ. The name in the
headline is not readable in the Win 7 pdf output, while the Linux output
is correct. The file size of the Win version is double the size of the
Linux version.

The code to generate the  PDF is identical in both win 7 and Linux, so
what could cause this difference?

/Peter

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

jerome
File reader?

I saw some bug reports (gramps) where Acrobat Reader under Windows was
the cause.
Can you read generated files under both OS (win.pdf under linux and
linux.pdf under win)?

/Jérôme

Le sam. 29 mars 2014 at 20:10, Peter Landgren <[hidden email]>
a écrit :

> Devs,
>
> I have a Swedish user who has a person from Japan in his database.
> His
> name is in one of Japanese character sets.
> Running "Complete individual report" the result differ. The name in
> the
> headline is not readable in the Win 7 pdf output, while the Linux
> output
> is correct. The file size of the Win version is double the size of
> the
> Linux version.
>
> The code to generate the  PDF is identical in both win 7 and Linux,
> so
> what could cause this difference?
>
> /Peter

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Vassilii Khachaturov
Note that Peter says the file on Windows is bigger, so it can't be the
reader, it's our docgen code producing different results!
On 29.03.2014 22:24, Jerome wrote:

> File reader?
>
> I saw some bug reports (gramps) where Acrobat Reader under Windows was
> the cause.
> Can you read generated files under both OS (win.pdf under linux and
> linux.pdf under win)?
>

> /Jérôme
>
> Le sam. 29 mars 2014 at 20:10, Peter Landgren <[hidden email]>
> a écrit :
>> Devs,
>>
>> I have a Swedish user who has a person from Japan in his database.
>> His
>> name is in one of Japanese character sets.
>> Running "Complete individual report" the result differ. The name in
>> the
>> headline is not readable in the Win 7 pdf output, while the Linux
>> output
>> is correct. The file size of the Win version is double the size of
>> the
>> Linux version.
>>
>> The code to generate the  PDF is identical in both win 7 and Linux,
>> so
>> what could cause this difference?
>>
>> /Peter

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

jerome
Is it not Windows who wants to include their fonts (system)?
I know that it is something that some non-web environment like to do...

Le sam. 29 mars 2014 at 21:02, Vassilii Khachaturov
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Note that Peter says the file on Windows is bigger, so it can't be
> the
> reader, it's our docgen code producing different results!
> On 29.03.2014 22:24, Jerome wrote:
>>  File reader?
>>
>>  I saw some bug reports (gramps) where Acrobat Reader under Windows
>> was
>>  the cause.
>>  Can you read generated files under both OS (win.pdf under linux and
>>  linux.pdf under win)?
>>

>>  /Jérôme
>>
>>  Le sam. 29 mars 2014 at 20:10, Peter Landgren
>> <[hidden email]>
>>  a écrit :
>>>  Devs,
>>>
>>>  I have a Swedish user who has a person from Japan in his database.
>>>  His
>>>  name is in one of Japanese character sets.
>>>  Running "Complete individual report" the result differ. The name in
>>>  the
>>>  headline is not readable in the Win 7 pdf output, while the Linux
>>>  output
>>>  is correct. The file size of the Win version is double the size of
>>>  the
>>>  Linux version.
>>>
>>>  The code to generate the  PDF is identical in both win 7 and Linux,
>>>  so
>>>  what could cause this difference?
>>>
>>>  /Peter

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Paul Franklin-5
> I have a Swedish user who has a person from Japan in his database. His
> name is in one of Japanese character sets.
> Running "Complete individual report" the result differ. The name in the
> headline is not readable in the Win 7 pdf output, while the Linux output
> is correct. The file size of the Win version is double the size of the
> Linux version.

It's not exactly the same, but 6180 is a bug from a Windows
user who reported that a Chinese name in PDF was wrong
on Windows but correct on linux.

He never attached a .gramps file, so his exact problem
could be tested for, and he was referring to another report
(the D.A.R.), but perhaps the underlying causes are related?

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Vassilii Khachaturov
Very likely. And the underlying cause very likely is some default python
behaviour reverting to UTF-8 on Linux and UTF-16 on Windows.
On 30.03.2014 05:05, Paul Franklin wrote:

>> I have a Swedish user who has a person from Japan in his database. His
>> name is in one of Japanese character sets.
>> Running "Complete individual report" the result differ. The name in the
>> headline is not readable in the Win 7 pdf output, while the Linux output
>> is correct. The file size of the Win version is double the size of the
>> Linux version.
> It's not exactly the same, but 6180 is a bug from a Windows
> user who reported that a Chinese name in PDF was wrong
> on Windows but correct on linux.
>
> He never attached a .gramps file, so his exact problem
> could be tested for, and he was referring to another report
> (the D.A.R.), but perhaps the underlying causes are related?
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6180

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Peter Landgren
I have made a bug report:
where a gramps file and the outputs from win 7 and Linux.

/Peter

> Very likely. And the underlying cause very likely is some default python
> behaviour reverting to UTF-8 on Linux and UTF-16 on Windows.
> On 30.03.2014 05:05, Paul Franklin wrote:
>>> I have a Swedish user who has a person from Japan in his database. His
>>> name is in one of Japanese character sets.
>>> Running "Complete individual report" the result differ. The name in the
>>> headline is not readable in the Win 7 pdf output, while the Linux output
>>> is correct. The file size of the Win version is double the size of the
>>> Linux version.
>> It's not exactly the same, but 6180 is a bug from a Windows
>> user who reported that a Chinese name in PDF was wrong
>> on Windows but correct on linux.
>>
>> He never attached a .gramps file, so his exact problem
>> could be tested for, and he was referring to another report
>> (the D.A.R.), but perhaps the underlying causes are related?
>>
>> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=6180

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Nick Hall-6
It works in the table but not in the title.

Try the following from a Windows command line:

'Summary of %s' % u'name'

Is the result unicode?

The only other difference I can see is the paragraph style.

Nick.

On 30/03/14 09:32, Peter Landgren wrote:
> I have made a bug report:
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7574
> where a gramps file and the outputs from win 7 and Linux.
>
> /Peter
>
>> >Very likely. And the underlying cause very likely is some default python
>> >behaviour reverting to UTF-8 on Linux and UTF-16 on Windows.

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Peter Landgren
Nick,

1. Don't understand what you mean by typing the string on a Windows
command line.

2. If I in Windows change the font for the 'IDS-title' paragraph from
Swiss to Roman I get correct output.

/Peter
:

> It works in the table but not in the title.
>
> Try the following from a Windows command line:
>
> 'Summary of %s' % u'name'
>
> Is the result unicode?
>
> The only other difference I can see is the paragraph style.
>
> Nick.
>

> On 30/03/14 09:32, Peter Landgren wrote:
>> I have made a bug report:
>> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7574
>> where a gramps file and the outputs from win 7 and Linux.
>>
>> /Peter

Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen
671 94  Brunskog
0570-530 21
070-345 0964

On 30/03/14 12:47, Peter Landgren wrote:
> 1. Don't understand what you mean by typing the string on a Windows
> command line.

Sorry. I should have said to run it from a python prompt in Windows.

> 2. If I in Windows change the font for the 'IDS-title' paragraph from
> Swiss to Roman I get correct output.

OK.  It looks like the problems is related to the font.  I'll have a
look at the code for that.

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Nick Hall-6
Try running Gramps with:

python src/gramps.py -d .libcairodoc

What debug output do you see when you run the report?

Nick.

On 30/03/14 13:05, Nick Hall wrote:
>> 2. If I in Windows change the font for the 'IDS-title' paragraph from
>> >Swiss to Roman I get correct output.
> OK.  It looks like the problems is related to the font.  I'll have a
> look at the code for that.

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Paul Franklin-5
Again, it may not be related, but 5978 is a user
complaining about something in a Japanese font
not being displayed correctly in a Windows gramps.
Until the font was changed.

And Jerome has added a comment to it which
points to an earlier problem, which apparently
Benny mentioned on gramps-devel.

FYI.

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Peter Landgren
With correct output I see:

C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64
347\share\gramps\plugins\lib\libcairodoc.py:573: PangoWarning: couldn't
load font "Times New Bold Not-Rotated 16", fallin
g back to "Sans Bold Not-Rotated 16", expect ugly output.
   layout_width, layout_height = layout.get_pixel_size()

/Peter

> Try running Gramps with:
>
> python src/gramps.py -d .libcairodoc
>
> What debug output do you see when you run the report?
>
> Nick.
>

> On 30/03/14 13:05, Nick Hall wrote:
>>> 2. If I in Windows change the font for the 'IDS-title' paragraph from
>> OK.  It looks like the problems is related to the font.  I'll have a
>> look at the code for that.

Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen
671 94  Brunskog
0570-530 21
070-345 0964

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Nick Hall-6
You see this when it is working correctly?

It looks like a problem to me.  Perhaps we need to try some different
fonts for Windows?

Nick.

On 30/03/14 14:37, Peter Landgren wrote:
> With correct output I see:
>
> C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64
> 347\share\gramps\plugins\lib\libcairodoc.py:573: PangoWarning: couldn't
> load font "Times New Bold Not-Rotated 16", fallin
> g back to "Sans Bold Not-Rotated 16", expect ugly output.
>     layout_width, layout_height = layout.get_pixel_size()

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Helge.Herz-2
I know this message too but did never see any real ugly or wrong output.
But I didn't really try to change fonts for pdf output.
- Helge
Am 30.03.2014 15:43, schrieb Nick Hall:

> You see this when it is working correctly?
>
> It looks like a problem to me.  Perhaps we need to try some different
> fonts for Windows?
>

> Nick.
>

> On 30/03/14 14:37, Peter Landgren wrote:
>> With correct output I see:
>>
>> C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64
>> 347\share\gramps\plugins\lib\libcairodoc.py:573: PangoWarning: couldn't
>> load font "Times New Bold Not-Rotated 16", fallin
>> g back to "Sans Bold Not-Rotated 16", expect ugly output.
>>      layout_width, layout_height = layout.get_pixel_size()

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Peter Landgren
Yes, when I change

'IDS-title' paragraph from
Swiss to Roman I get correct output.

/Peter

> You see this when it is working correctly?
>
> It looks like a problem to me.  Perhaps we need to try some different
> fonts for Windows?
>

> Nick.
>

> On 30/03/14 14:37, Peter Landgren wrote:
>> With correct output I see:
>>
>> C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64
>> 347\share\gramps\plugins\lib\libcairodoc.py:573: PangoWarning: couldn't
>> load font "Times New Bold Not-Rotated 16", fallin
>> g back to "Sans Bold Not-Rotated 16", expect ugly output.
>>      layout_width, layout_height = layout.get_pixel_size()

Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen
671 94  Brunskog
0570-530 21
070-345 0964

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Earlier problem was on #7509.

I thought it was related to embedded font(s) and Adobe Reader!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format#Fonts

Le dim. 30 mars 2014 at 15:33, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Again, it may not be related, but 5978 is a user
> complaining about something in a Japanese font
> not being displayed correctly in a Windows gramps.
> Until the font was changed.
>
> And Jerome has added a comment to it which
> points to an earlier problem, which apparently
> Benny mentioned on gramps-devel.
>
> FYI.
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=5978

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Nick Hall-6
Peter,

Gramps attempts to find three font families:  serif, sans serif and a
monospaced.  "Swiss" and "Roman" are just generic terms.

For Windows, it looks for "Times New Roman", "Arial" and "Courier New".

The debug should tell you what fonts are being used.

Perhaps "Arial" doesn't support those particular characters?  Is there a
better choice for Windows?

Nick.

On 30/03/14 14:56, Peter Landgren wrote:
> Yes, when I change
>
> 'IDS-title' paragraph from
> Swiss to Roman I get correct output.

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Peter Landgren
Nick,

I might have mixed things up a little.
1. Case 1 with the default style sheet and bad output:

C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64 347\bin>"C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64
347\bin\python.exe" -EO ..\share\gramps\gramps.py -d .libcairodoc
setup debugging .libcairodoc
2014-03-30 19:17:48.388: DEBUG: libcairodoc.py: line 125: Using MS
TrueType fonts: {0: 'Arial', 1: 'Times New Roman', 2: 'Courier New'}
C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64
347\share\gramps\plugins\lib\libcairodoc.py:573: PangoWarning: couldn't
load font "Times New Not-Rotated 12", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated
12", expect ugly output.
   layout_width, layout_height = layout.get_pixel_size()

2. Case 2 with the modified style sheet and correct output:

C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64 347\bin>"C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64
347\bin\python.exe" -EO ..\share\gramps\gramps.py -d .libcairodoc
setup debugging .libcairodoc
2014-03-30 19:18:19.398: DEBUG: libcairodoc.py: line 125: Using MS
TrueType fonts: {0: 'Arial', 1: 'Times New Roman', 2: 'Courier New'}
C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64
347\share\gramps\plugins\lib\libcairodoc.py:573: PangoWarning: couldn't
load font "Times New Bold Not-Rotated 16", falling back to "Sans Bold
Not-Rotated 16", expect ugly output.
   layout_width, layout_height = layout.get_pixel_size()
C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64
347\share\gramps\plugins\lib\libcairodoc.py:573: PangoWarning: couldn't
load font "Times New Not-Rotated 12", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated
12", expect ugly output.
   layout_width, layout_height = layout.get_pixel_size()

In case 1 with bad output, there is no mentioning of any font size of
16, which is used in the IDS-title paragraph.
In case 2 with correct output, there is mentioning a font size of 16,
which is used in the IDS-title paragraph.

It seems to me that no font is referenced in case 1?

/Peter

> Peter,
>
> Gramps attempts to find three font families:  serif, sans serif and a
> monospaced.  "Swiss" and "Roman" are just generic terms.
>
> For Windows, it looks for "Times New Roman", "Arial" and "Courier New".
>
> The debug should tell you what fonts are being used.
>
> Perhaps "Arial" doesn't support those particular characters?  Is there a
> better choice for Windows?
>
> Nick.
>

> On 30/03/14 14:56, Peter Landgren wrote:
>> Yes, when I change
>>
>> 'IDS-title' paragraph from
>> Swiss to Roman I get correct output.

Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen
671 94  Brunskog
0570-530 21
070-345 0964

Re: PDF ouput differs between Win 7 and Linux

Nick Hall-6
There are two problems here:

1. When you use "Times New" it fails and falls back to "Sans". This is
probably not what you want.  There is also a warning to expect ugly output.

2. When you use "Arial" it works without warnings, but doesn't seem to
support certain characters.

I suggest you edit libcairodoc.py and try some other fonts.

Nick.