PEP8 checking

Nick Hall
Devs,

I am considering using the PEP8 Speaks GitHub integration to help us
maintain a consistent coding style.

https://pep8speaks.com/

The plan is to trial it on the new gramps-online repository, and then
use it on the core gramps repository if it proves useful.

Does anyone have any comments or objections?

Re: PEP8 checking

Nick Hall
Devs,

Codacy also looks good.

https://www.codacy.com/

Has anyone used this?

Re: PEP8 checking

Brylie Christopher Oxley
Codacity looks nice. FWIW, CodeClimate has a similar feature set, and us upfront about being free for open-source projects:

https://codeclimate.com/quality/pricing/

On January 4, 2019 10:01:29 PM GMT+02:00, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Devs,

Codacy also looks good.

https://www.codacy.com/

Has anyone used this?

Re: PEP8 checking

Nick Hall
On 05/01/2019 06:56, Brylie Christopher Oxley wrote:
> Codacity looks nice. FWIW, CodeClimate has a similar feature set, and
> us upfront about being free for open-source projects:
>
> https://codeclimate.com/quality/pricing/

Yes.  CodeClimate also looks good.

I decided to analyse our main repository with Codacy.  The results are
interesting.

It seems that some open pull request are not being analysed because the
author is not a member of the Codacy gramps-project organization.  I'll
invite a few developers.

Re: PEP8 checking

John Ralls-2

> On Jan 5, 2019, at 6:48 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 05/01/2019 06:56, Brylie Christopher Oxley wrote:
>> Codacity looks nice. FWIW, CodeClimate has a similar feature set, and us upfront about being free for open-source projects:
>>
>> https://codeclimate.com/quality/pricing/
>>
> Yes.  CodeClimate also looks good.
>
> I decided to analyse our main repository with Codacy.  The results are interesting.
>
> It seems that some open pull request are not being analysed because the author is not a member of the Codacy gramps-project organization.  I'll invite a few developers.

That’ll be interesting. It wasn’t clear to me from the Codacy pricing page whether they lift the 4-member restriction for FOSS projects.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: PEP8 checking

Nick Hall
On 05/01/2019 15:01, John Ralls wrote:
> That’ll be interesting. It wasn’t clear to me from the Codacy pricing page whether they lift the 4-member restriction for FOSS projects.

The limit is 200 members with the GitHub Open Source plan.

Re: PEP8 checking

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest
On 2019-01-01 18:19, Nick Hall wrote:

> Devs,
>
> I am considering using the PEP8 Speaks GitHub integration to help us
> maintain a consistent coding style.
>
> https://pep8speaks.com/
>
> The plan is to trial it on the new gramps-online repository, and then
> use it on the core gramps repository if it proves useful.
>
> Does anyone have any comments or objections?

Just my .2 cents... I've been using pylint for a while at work and it
does not only some style check but also prevents a lot of mistakes by
actually checking for typos, unused variables, etc.

I've had much less experience with pep8 but my feeling is that it's very
pedantic over insignificant pep8 style issues and does not check code
validity. Also at least the version used back then had no way of
disabling checks (IIRC) so you couldn't bend the rule for any good
reason (ex aligning a data structure so that's it's actually more
readable...). Maybe it has to do with the way that project author has
configured pep8 though.

Perhaps a good benchmark would be to take a number of merged one-time
contribution and seeing how much pain pep8 and pylint would have
inflicted on the users vs. actual gain in clarity and bugfixes...

Regards

--
Thomas

Re: PEP8 checking

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest
On 2019-01-08 06:50, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
> I've had much less experience with pep8 but my feeling is that it's very
> pedantic over insignificant pep8 style issues and does not check code
> validity. Also at least the version used back then had no way of
> disabling checks (IIRC) so you couldn't bend the rule for any good
> reason (ex aligning a data structure so that's it's actually more
> readable...). Maybe it has to do with the way that project author has
> configured pep8 though.
Slight clarification; I believe you could always disable pep8 checks
globally, what I'm talking about here is disabling for a specific line,
block, method, etc. using comments.

Regards

--
Thomas