POLL: Future Gramps development

Nick Hall
What enhancements would you like to see in future versions of Gramps?

I have listed some broad categories.  Please indicate those that you
feel are important.

A. User interface
     1. Look & feel
     2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
multiple objects
     3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views
     4. Data entry - e.g. forms
     5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules
     6. Additional views, reports or tools
     7. Other

B. Data model
     1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests
     2. Family - e.g. separating groups and relationships
     3. Event - e.g. grouping events (such as departure, arrival and
port of call)
     4. Place
     5. Repository/Source/Citation - e.g. catalogues, templates
     6. Notes - e.g. extra formatting
     7. Media
     8. Other

C. Database / Connectivity
     1. Allow more database backend choices
     2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model
     3. Support for GedcomX
     4. Other

Keep your answers short for now, but give extra information when
choosing "Other".

NdK

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

NdK
Il 03/11/2016 19:33, Nick Hall ha scritto:

> A. User interface
>      7. Other
Web interface (possibly something compatible with common hosting
providers... but I fear that that would require rewriting in PHP :( ).

> B. Data model
>      2. Family - e.g. separating groups and relationships
Possibly grouping families to keep big reports tidier.

> C. Database / Connectivity
>      1. Allow more database backend choices
As long as the backend is not just a key-value store but exposes real
relationships.

BYtE,
 Diego

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Of everything listed below, what I would most like to see is something
in connection with:

B. Data model
     1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests

I know that this has come up on the list before, and that people have
good ways of documenting DNA info in "Notes," but I can't help but
feel that something better could be implemented.

I'll try to keep this short and clear, but as an example, though I
haven't played with it yet myself, on WikiTree when someone's Y-DNA or
mtDNA has been tested, the test is indicated on that test taker, but
the information I think is shown backwards on the male (or female)
line appropriately.

What I would love to see in Gramps, is when clicking on a distant
ancestor for whom there is no DNA sample, it would be fantastic to see
that while no sample exists for Ancestor A, a test has been done for
Ancestor D five generations downstream on the Y-Chromosome (or mtDNA)
which means that this ancestor must be from (or very closely related)
to Haplogroup ## as well.

The more Y-DNA and mtDNA samples that I get from people, the more
helpful something like I describe above could be.

Peter

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What enhancements would you like to see in future versions of Gramps?
>
> I have listed some broad categories.  Please indicate those that you
> feel are important.
>
> A. User interface
>      1. Look & feel
>      2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
> multiple objects
>      3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views
>      4. Data entry - e.g. forms
>      5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules
>      6. Additional views, reports or tools
>      7. Other
>
> B. Data model
>      1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests
>      2. Family - e.g. separating groups and relationships
>      3. Event - e.g. grouping events (such as departure, arrival and
> port of call)
>      4. Place
>      5. Repository/Source/Citation - e.g. catalogues, templates
>      6. Notes - e.g. extra formatting
>      7. Media
>      8. Other
>
> C. Database / Connectivity
>      1. Allow more database backend choices
>      2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model
>      3. Support for GedcomX
>      4. Other
>
> Keep your answers short for now, but give extra information when
> choosing "Other".
>

> Nick.

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Peter (chamdo4ever)
P.S. to my previous mail, here is a link explaining what WikiTree does
in terms of DNA:

https://dna-explained.com/2013/11/04/wikitree-and-dna/

I'd wager that the Gramps developers could come up with something better!

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Peter (chamdo4ever)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Of everything listed below, what I would most like to see is something
> in connection with:
>
> B. Data model
>      1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests
>
> I know that this has come up on the list before, and that people have
> good ways of documenting DNA info in "Notes," but I can't help but
> feel that something better could be implemented.
>
> I'll try to keep this short and clear, but as an example, though I
> haven't played with it yet myself, on WikiTree when someone's Y-DNA or
> mtDNA has been tested, the test is indicated on that test taker, but
> the information I think is shown backwards on the male (or female)
> line appropriately.
>
> What I would love to see in Gramps, is when clicking on a distant
> ancestor for whom there is no DNA sample, it would be fantastic to see
> that while no sample exists for Ancestor A, a test has been done for
> Ancestor D five generations downstream on the Y-Chromosome (or mtDNA)
> which means that this ancestor must be from (or very closely related)
> to Haplogroup ## as well.
>
> The more Y-DNA and mtDNA samples that I get from people, the more
> helpful something like I describe above could be.
>
> Peter
>

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What enhancements would you like to see in future versions of Gramps?
>>
>> I have listed some broad categories.  Please indicate those that you
>> feel are important.
>>
>> A. User interface
>>      1. Look & feel
>>      2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
>> multiple objects
>>      3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views
>>      4. Data entry - e.g. forms
>>      5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules
>>      6. Additional views, reports or tools
>>      7. Other
>>
>> B. Data model
>>      1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests
>>      2. Family - e.g. separating groups and relationships
>>      3. Event - e.g. grouping events (such as departure, arrival and
>> port of call)
>>      4. Place
>>      5. Repository/Source/Citation - e.g. catalogues, templates
>>      6. Notes - e.g. extra formatting
>>      7. Media
>>      8. Other
>>
>> C. Database / Connectivity
>>      1. Allow more database backend choices
>>      2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model
>>      3. Support for GedcomX
>>      4. Other
>>
>> Keep your answers short for now, but give extra information when
>> choosing "Other".
>>

>> Nick.

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Philip Weiss

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
What enhancements would you like to see in future versions of Gramps?

I have listed some broad categories.  Please indicate those that you
feel are important.

A. User interface
     1. Look & feel

In Notes, displaying the title of the object a note is attached to, if it's attached to only one object.  Alternatively, support for note titles.

     2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
multiple objects

I'd love to see something similar to relationship view for places.
Ability to attach .kml or similar files to a place and have the KML displayed in Geography.

     3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views
     4. Data entry - e.g. forms
     5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules

I'd love to see a better way to create filters, and possibly a revamping of how we think about them.  A lot of reports I want to do involve making a couple of filters to get the data I want (i.e., everyone who ever lived within the boundaries of a certain state).
Name searching that allows searching on both first name and last name in the same search.  (Philip Weiss doesn't bring my name up because I am listed as Philip Andrew Weiss in my DB).

     6. Additional views, reports or tooll
     7. Other

Ability to make a selected person in the ancestors or decendents gramplet the active profile.

B. Data model
     1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests
     2. Family - e.g. separating groups and relationships
     3. Event - e.g. grouping events (such as departure, arrival and
port of call)

Statuses for event.  E.g., possible, proven, rejected, likely.  We can currently do this with tags, but it's awkward and eventually it'd be nice to be able to do things like exclude rejected events.

     4. Place
     5. Repository/Source/Citation - e.g. catalogues, templates

I'd love to see the addition of STEMMA citation chains.  *  (See below for explanation for those who are unfamiliar)
Data model support for negative citations.  I.e., searched for a death certificate and it wasn't found in the expected place.

     6. Notes - e.g. extra formatting

Research log formatting.  Not super necessary if negative citations are supported.

     7. Media
     8. Other

C. Database / Connectivity
     1. Allow more database backend choices

IIRC, SQLite is already in the works.  It'd be nice to store in cloud based data stores.

     2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model
     3. Support for GedcomX
     4. Other

Keep your answers short for now, but give extra information when
choosing "Other".

Nick.

Re: Stemma citation chains.  I.e., relationships between citations, with some predefined relationships and the ability to name arbitrary ones.  That way I can have a citation to an  1880 US census, as provided by a citation to the 1880 US Census images at Ancestry/FamilySearch.  Or where I have death certificates that are all originally provided by Los Angeles County, but some are provided directly and some are pulled from the FamilySearch online and some are from FamilySearch microfilm.

Phil.

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Helge.Privat
Good idea to poll, thank you for starting this process.

Helge

Am 03.11.2016 um 19:33 schrieb Nick Hall:
> What enhancements would you like to see in future versions of Gramps?
>
> I have listed some broad categories.  Please indicate those that you
> feel are important.
>
> A. User interface
>      1. Look & feel
>      2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
> multiple objects
A) dynamic user defined column view on-off, column width and column
order for all tables of all windows; also stored for the next session
B) Reusing the size and the placement of all windows for the next open
action (within the same and also for the next session) - forced to be in
the current display area.
C) Relation ship view as main edit view for data entry, because the most
sources provide information for people are direct related. So I would
like to select the the next person to edit somewhere there (not at the
Person View or by running through the tree) - an additional search
extension to the "last edited" gramplet to selected any person as
current person would be great.
D) Less windows would be nice, but I'm not sure what's the best solution
in this case
>      3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views

A) optimized merge: currently I have to remember or note the items I
want to merge and to go to the special view to find and mark them and to
run the merge function.
I would like to mark to two items I see somewhere (e.g. families or
persons at Relationship View, events at Person or Family View, places
for to two events) for merging. Afterwards I would like to run the merge
function as currently exists for these two marked items (of course they
have to have the same type).

B) reduce mouse clicks / drag&drop, e. g.:
+ add the last used citation to an event by a special function (may be
by a marker in the clip board?)
+ replace a citation (at a person's or family's or event's sources) by a
new reference having the same content to simple generate a new citation
for a source for later editing
+ citation from clipboard: option --> copy the reference or generate a
new one having the same content for later editing
+ default values for the media type of a repository reference to reduce
editing:  always provide the last used media type again.
+ etc. (still available feature requests)
>      4. Data entry - e.g. forms
>      5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules
>      6. Additional views, reports or tools
print function for notes

     7. Other

A) constant good / correct MS Windows support for each new release (may
be that's not user interface only and means a special test case too):
non-asii characters and asap a correct support of Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V and
prevent the hidden window issue
B) Every time consuming function should have at least a modal
information window until the process comes to end: reports, backup
(currently I can close Gramps during the backup process!)

> B. Data model
>      1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests
>      2. Family - e.g. separating groups and relationships
>      3. Event - e.g. grouping events (such as departure, arrival and
> port of call)
>      4. Place
>      5. Repository/Source/Citation - e.g. catalogues, templates
>      6. Notes - e.g. extra formatting
>      7. Media
>      8. Other
Support of evidence values for the all / the major properties of events,
families, persons and relations (OK, that's not GEDCOM like, but Gramps
provides also other non-GEDCOM features).
     This support shall be consequent for views, windows, reports and
tree views (not as currently: markers or attributes are nice to edit,
but badly to analyse or to see in windows or reports or ..)
     Comments:
    The evidence of a source or a citation doesn't tell about the
evidence of an information detail
    May be such evidence value would also force the need for the
possibility to add a note to this evidence value.

> C. Database / Connectivity
>      1. Allow more database backend choices
>      2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model
>      3. Support for GedcomX
>      4. Other
My opinion: What should be the real effort of other database backends or
exports (except new standards as e.g. GedcomX or collaboration) for
genealogy research?
Will the support really be available in the the future for several
operating systems + several Gramps versions + several  db backends?
I think, the goal should be to focus on the usage not on techniques, so
far not necessary to be compatible with other systems or to improve the
usability.

My wish/dream: No separate thread and very good support for a
collaboration version of Gramps or better: Gramps also as collaboration
version by default.

> Keep your answers short for now, but give extra information when
> choosing "Other".
>

> Nick.

> .

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

paul womack
Nick Hall wrote:
> What enhancements would you like to see in future versions of Gramps?
>
> I have listed some broad categories.  Please indicate those that you
> feel are important.
>
> A. User interface
>       1. Look & feel
>       2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
> multiple objects

Yes - Critical

>       3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views
Only needed when gramps is updated, so that large DBs can be bought "up to speed"
with new features. But when you need it, you *NEED* it.

>       4. Data entry - e.g. forms
>       5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules
My previous comments on filters stand;

>       6. Additional views, reports or tools
>       7. Other
>
> B. Data model
>       1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests
>       2. Family - e.g. separating groups and relationships
>       3. Event - e.g. grouping events (such as departure, arrival and
> port of call)
>       4. Place
>       5. Repository/Source/Citation - e.g. catalogues, templates
>       6. Notes - e.g. extra formatting
>       7. Media
>       8. Other
>
> C. Database / Connectivity
>       1. Allow more database backend choices
>       2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model
>       3. Support for GedcomX
>       4. Other
>
> Keep your answers short for now, but give extra information when
> choosing "Other".

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Looking at DNA records within Gramps, even I am storing few DNA informations,
a fast overview can quickly point some privacy issues.
i.e., de-anonymization[1], statistical disclosure control, etc ...
Was not able to clearly see a common standard for storing and protecting
DNA records...

For now, I filled some ideas as a feature request[2] and still play
with an experimental set of addons[3]. I am not very happy with current
design and ways used, so it remains UNSTABLE and "in progress".

Anyway, the primary idea was related to numbering and relationships,
which is already available into 4.2.x branch. Need to focus on future.
So, what could be useful and is maybe missing on current stable releases.

I am far away from big data, even every day (no cell phone!),
but I suppose that our data are still the "fuel of some engines" (close to LBO) ... :-\
So, stuck on distribution design!

[1] https://github.com/citp/genetic_privacy
[2] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=9770
[3] https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/tree/maintenance/gramps42/RelID

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-users] POLL: Future Gramps development
 À: "Gramps-Users" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Jeudi 3 novembre 2016, 20h07

 P.S. to my previous mail,
 here is a link explaining what WikiTree does
 in terms of DNA:

 https://dna-explained.com/2013/11/04/wikitree-and-dna/

 I'd wager that the Gramps
 developers could come up with something better!

 Developer Access Program for Intel Xeon Phi
 Processors
 Access to Intel Xeon Phi
 processor-based developer platforms.
 With
 one year of Intel Parallel Studio XE.
 Training and support from Colfax.

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Serge Noiraud-2
Hi Philip,

Le 03/11/2016 à 20:11, Philip Weiss a écrit :

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
What enhancements would you like to see in future versions of Gramps?
lternatively, support for note titles.

     2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
multiple objects

I'd love to see something similar to relationship view for places.
Ability to attach .kml or similar files to a place and have the KML displayed in Geography.
KML files are already available in geography from 4.2
See : https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Categories#All_known_places_for_one_person_with_graphical_information_.28KML_files.29

You have also the possibility to add places from one kml file:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Categories#Adding_places_from_KML_files

But perhaps you need something which is missing ?

Phil.
Serge

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Tom Hughes
On 03/11/16 18:33, Nick Hall wrote:

> A. User interface
>      1. Look & feel
>      2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
> multiple objects
>      3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views

Bulk editing definitely. Ideally some way to script operations so I can
do a search+replace across the database for example.

>      4. Data entry - e.g. forms
>      5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules

Better filtering would be good as well. Currently I often find that even
if I can create the filter I want it requires me to create five other
filters and connect them all together and takes forever.

> C. Database / Connectivity
>      1. Allow more database backend choices
>      2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model

Both of these definitely. Ideally I'd like to have my tree in postgres
as proper relational data and not as packed objects.

Of course having that makes both the previous things easier in that I
can resort to SQL to do complex filters and bulk updates ;-)

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Gerhard Killesreiter
On 03.11.2016 19:33, Nick Hall wrote:
> What enhancements would you like to see in future versions of Gramps?
>
> I have listed some broad categories.  Please indicate those that you
> feel are important.
>
> A. User interface
>      1. Look & feel
>      2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
> multiple objects

Yes, please!

>      3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views

I'd love to have that.

>      4. Data entry - e.g. forms
>      5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules

It would be nice to be able to define filters with flexible arguments,
ie you could add an input field which would pass that input on to some
filter.

>      6. Additional views, reports or tools
>      7. Other
>
> B. Data model
>      1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests
>      2. Family - e.g. separating groups and relationships
>      3. Event - e.g. grouping events (such as departure, arrival and
> port of call)
>      4. Place
>      5. Repository/Source/Citation - e.g. catalogues, templates
>      6. Notes - e.g. extra formatting
>      7. Media
>      8. Other

No requests from me in that section.

> C. Database / Connectivity
>      1. Allow more database backend choices
>      2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model
>      3. Support for GedcomX
>      4. Other
>
> Keep your answers short for now, but give extra information when
> choosing "Other".

Something you forgot to add

D: Reports

Making reports more flexible could be useful, ie adding a kind of
templating system that would allow people without pythin knowledge to
change their reports.

Cheers,
Gerhard

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Craig Treleaven
> On Nov 3, 2016, at 2:33 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What enhancements would you like to see in future versions of Gramps?
>
> I have listed some broad categories.  Please indicate those that you
> feel are important.
>
> A. User interface
>     1. Look & feel
>     2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
> multiple objects
>     3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views
>     4. Data entry - e.g. forms
>     5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules
>     6. Additional views, reports or tools
>     7. Other
>
> B. Data model
>     1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests
>     2. Family - e.g. separating groups and relationships
>     3. Event - e.g. grouping events (such as departure, arrival and
> port of call)
>     4. Place
>     5. Repository/Source/Citation - e.g. catalogues, templates
>     6. Notes - e.g. extra formatting
>     7. Media
>     8. Other
>
> C. Database / Connectivity
>     1. Allow more database backend choices
>     2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model
>     3. Support for GedcomX
>     4. Other
>
> Keep your answers short for now, but give extra information when
> choosing "Other".

Something not on the list…tools for comparing and merging information from other genealogists.  Suppose I get a gedcom from another researcher that seems to have a tonne of good information.  They have a bunch of information that is nearly the same as me but they may have more or fewer details about specific events or people.  For example, I might have my great-great aunt Jane listed as marrying John William Treleaven in July 1901.  Another research might have recorded that Jane married John W. Treleaven in 1901 at Ashfield Township, Huron County, Ontario, Canada.  Both are ‘correct’ but they each have details that the other may be missing.  Tools for highlighting those differences and reconciling them would be a godsend in certain circumstances.

I realize that this is likely an enormous undertaking.  It could well be a companion to Gramps rather than built in.

WikiTree does this now.  Perhaps there is some way to interface between Gramps and WikiTree for those that want to participate?  I haven’t looked to see if there is an API.

Food for thought,

Craig

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

tonyjackson
Hi all,

I’m a humble newbie, but my family seems to have become nearly 1,100 strong, and to go back almost a thousand years, so perhaps I am representative of some of the less technical folk here?

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ...A. User interface
>> ...4. Data entry - e.g. forms

I’m accustomed, on a Mac, to being able to press return to accept an ‘OK’ or standard response.  I often find myself scrolling off in search of a button when it feels as though a carriage-return would be quicker and seem more natural.

>> ...6. Additional views, reports or tools

I’ve found that in the UK, at least, looking up the government site for wills is often a source of useful information – exact date of death, address at death, also often confirmation that I have the right person, by way of finding relatives I know of being given Probate.  And of course an indication of the relative prosperity of some of the characters.  I put this information into ‘Notes’, but this may not be obvious to some one looking through my efforts?

Also, perhaps I should have done this ‘by hand’ but would it not be clearer if we presumed surnames to be written in upper case.  I’ve been surprised how often surnames reappear as secondary given names, this might make the process clearer?

>> B. Data model
>> ...3. Event - e.g. grouping events (such as departure, arrival and port of call)

Seems like a good idea, and this crops up quite often.

>>     4. Place

I don’t really understand the place field, so I just put in all of the address that I know, and check whether it is a village or a town etc.  Sometimes, like '21 Halsmere Road, Camberwell, London, UK’ this leaves me no choice but to describe it as a building, whereas I somehow feel as though I ought to be able to characterise it more helpfully.  Maybe just systematically using the ‘Type’ field to describe the next element in the address would be more sensible?  But churches, often the address for a marriage or a baptism, seem to need an entry in the Type field?

Offered with due humility, and thanks for the amazing efforts!

Tony Jackson
Devon, UK.

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Peter Merchant

> Something you forgot to add
>
> D: Reports
>
> Making reports more flexible could be useful, ie adding a kind of
> templating system that would allow people without pythin knowledge to
> change their reports.
>
> Cheers,
> Gerhard

I am not a user of many of the features of gramps yet so cannot comment
on the other possible desirables, but this is one thing that I would like.

Peter M.

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Look and Feel

In the person edit screen, allowing the user to select what is displayed for the events (and the other tabs) and in which order. And the list retaining the last view for the amount of space the items take up. Similar to our ability to choose what and how the details in list views are displayed.

Filtering

If gramps can store a bit of information, there should be a way to retrieve it.
I have at least one record (a census record) where I mis-typed and listed a person as a 'Border' instead of 'Boarder' as their role in the census record. Can I filter and find it? no option.

And there should be an easier and more intuitive way to create a filter that doesn't also have to rely on creating other filters first.

Sourcing

You can source just about everything but you cannot attach a source to a note. And this is different than attaching a note to the source because of where that note will be displayed; the person/event or as part of the source citation.

Event types

Allow the user to add event types to the groupings and to add and alter groups. This is not so important for entering/managing records, but reports sort events based upon these groupings. Any user created type gets grouped under Custom events.

Name and Sort Order

The sort order in the people lists are dependent on what is selected for the default display name. Can these be independent of each other? On a cases by basis, the display name and the sort name can be individually altered in the name editor which is great (and should be retained) but can this be done globally for all records?

On 04/11/16 15:49, Rich wrote:
> Having read several articles / emails on how to do sources &
> citations, I would like to see this area cleaned up, perhaps easier to
> use and better documentation. I am supposed to have a higher than
> normal IQ and worked for 30 years fixing software bugs, but yet I feel
> like a total dunce trying to use citations and sources.

Ditto. Qualified for Mensa and struggle with these.
P.

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

George Baynes

>> On Nov 3, 2016, at 2:33 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What enhancements would you like to see in future versions of Gramps?
>>
>> I have listed some broad categories.  Please indicate those that you
>> feel are important.
>>
>> A. User interface
>>      1. Look & feel
having gotten used to the current look and feel I would like it to
remain as it is. However, change is, no doubt, inevitable, so please -
evolution not revolution.
>>      2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
>> multiple objects
>>      3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views
I am extremely wary of bulk editing on databases. Horrendous damage can
be done with just a few small actions. Perhaps, an enforced backup of
any records to be changed, could save an awful lot of tears. The wind
back could itself cause problems, if other changes are made before the
wind back.
>>      4. Data entry - e.g. forms
>>      5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules
I have often looked for a NOT modifier for the filters. AND and OR would
also help to reduce the filter count required to achieve a given goal.
>>      6. Additional views, reports or tools
I have often thought it would be nice to have one or two extra bits of
data in a printout, but I suspect that the printouts as supplied are
optimum. There can be too much information on a printout. Perhaps a
build-your-own-printout would satisfy the meddlers.
For the merging of data from an external source, why not import the
external data into a new database, then using an external program merge
the two databases into a new third. You would probably have to identify
the Individual, in each database who is the oldest person to be merged.
Checking the data in the new third database is the users job.
>>      7. Other
>>
>> B. Data model
>>      1. Person - e.g. adding genetic information - results of DNA tests
>>      2. Family - e.g. separating groups and relationships
>>      3. Event - e.g. grouping events (such as departure, arrival and
>> port of call)
>>      4. Place
Love the Places heirachy, but I have to do a Place-exists search to find
that a place is not in the database and then do an Add.
>>      5. Repository/Source/Citation - e.g. catalogues, templates
>>      6. Notes - e.g. extra formatting    7. Media
I find it difficult to identify which media files in my media
directories are not used within Gramps  as there is no two way link
between the database and the media directories, the link only works from
the database end.

>>      8. Other
>>
>> C. Database / Connectivity
>>      1. Allow more database backend choices
>>      2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model
>>      3. Support for GedcomX
>>      4. Other
>>
>> Keep your answers short for now, but give extra information when
>> choosing "Other".
George Baynes

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

On 11/03/2016 01:51 PM, NdK wrote:

[snip]
>> C. Database / Connectivity
>>       1. Allow more database backend choices
> As long as the backend is not just a key-value store but exposes real
> relationships.

+1

Individual fields should be exposed instead of pickled rows.  This would
allow scripted modifications to the tree.

Re: POLL: Future Gramps development

Hello Nick,

> A. User interface
>       1. Look & feel
>       2. Viewing - e.g. creating views that display information from
> multiple objects
Show source text and media like mail, with author, title, date, page,
and other attributes in the header.
>       3. Editing - e.g. bulk editing, spreadsheet views
Global replace, so that I can correct ill formatted names, misspelled
place names, etc.
>       4. Data entry - e.g. forms
See above for sources. Allow pasting a source text from a web page, and
marking relevant parts to be used for citation. Include support for
basic html, like evernote. Add automatic look-up to location entry, and
a geonames based gazetteer.
>       5. Searching - search bar, filters and rules
Create simple filters so that when an object is selected in one screen,
only related objects are shown in the other ones, like events linked to
a person, persons linked to a location, etc. etc.
> B. Data model
>       6. Notes - e.g. extra formatting
Support html, or xhtml.
> C. Database / Connectivity
>       2. Expose object data - e.g. JSON or relational model
Relational.
>       3. Support for GedcomX
Long term, maybe.
>       4. Other
Better sync and merge, so that trees can be easily merged, even when
person IDs are not identical.

regards,