Quantcast

POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Nick Hall-6
There have been a couple of threads suggesting that we move from
subversion to git.

What are your views?

The options are:

1. Continue to use subversion.
2. Convert to using git.
3. Convert to using git, and move the hosting from SourceForge.
4. Don't mind.

Please keep your answers short and include your SourceForge login, if
you have one.

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Nick Hall-6
I would prefer git, hosted either on SourceForge or elsewhere.  So
either option 2 or 3.

Nick (nick-h).

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Adam Stein-3
If I had a choice, I would choose git, so either choice 2 or 3 (doesn't
matter where it's hosted to me).

Adam (adamstein)

On Tue, 2013-10-29 at 17:52 +0000, Nick Hall wrote:

> There have been a couple of threads suggesting that we move from
> subversion to git.
>
> What are your views?
>
> The options are:
>
> 1. Continue to use subversion.
> 2. Convert to using git.
> 3. Convert to using git, and move the hosting from SourceForge.
> 4. Don't mind.
>
> Please keep your answers short and include your SourceForge login, if
> you have one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick.

Adam ([hidden email])

On 10/29/2013 06:52 PM, Nick Hall wrote:
> 4. Don't mind.
No login.

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Josip-3
We should write new one for Gramps. In Python!
This is not democratic we should firstly vote about poll options.
We can do anything, someone will write bogus excuse for that on wiki afterwards.

Josip (josipsf) from phone, without spellchecker

On 29/10/13 19:23, josip wrote:
> This is not democratic we should firstly vote about poll options.

Feel free to add another option.  Were you thinking about merucrial or
bazaar for example?

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
Git with hosting at http://gitorious.org/ or http://github.com/

P.S. I always prefer gitorious because it's open source portal :)

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There have been a couple of threads suggesting that we move from
> subversion to git.
>
> What are your views?
>
> The options are:
>
> 1. Continue to use subversion.
> 2. Convert to using git.
> 3. Convert to using git, and move the hosting from SourceForge.
> 4. Don't mind.
>
> Please keep your answers short and include your SourceForge login, if
> you have one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick.

Best Regards
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi
I forgot to tell you something important; Keep away from Bzr because
it has ton of memory bugs (specially under Windows) and developing
process stopped since more than year.

BTW, I used Bzr for 5 years under heavy developing process and I can
tell you briefly it's very flexible but unfortunately the community
preferred Git more.

--
Best Regards
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

John Ralls-2

On Oct 29, 2013, at 10:52 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There have been a couple of threads suggesting that we move from
> subversion to git.
>
> What are your views?
>
> The options are:
>
> 1. Continue to use subversion.
> 2. Convert to using git.
> 3. Convert to using git, and move the hosting from SourceForge.
> 4. Don't mind.
>
> Please keep your answers short and include your SourceForge login, if
> you have one.

I think everyone here knows I prefer git. I’m not wild about SF’s
git browser, but it’s no worse than the SVN browser. Moving to a
git-oriented host like Github or Gitorious encourages but doesn’t
require a slightly different approach to non-committer contributions:
In general it’s much easier.

Regards,
John Ralls (SF: jralls)

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Vassilii Khachaturov
On 29.10.2013 19:52, Nick Hall wrote:

> There have been a couple of threads suggesting that we move from
> subversion to git.
>
> What are your views?
>
> The options are:
>
> 1. Continue to use subversion.
> 2. Convert to using git.
> 3. Convert to using git, and move the hosting from SourceForge.
> 4. Don't mind.
>
> Please keep your answers short and include your SourceForge login, if
> you have one.

2 or 3, no particular feelings about sourceforge
vassilii@sf

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Brian Matherly
I don't have a preference either way about what we use. All the tools work fine for me. However, if we want to change, I would prefer to not be the one to make the conversion. I helped with the original conversion from CVS to SVN and it was a fair amount of work with a few nervous moments while our precious data was in limbo.

I do think that GIT has a slightly higher barrier to entry for new (especially non-technical) contributors. Also, I would rather not have to maintain (and coordinate) the project resoures across multiple backends. We already have to coordinate the sourceforge site with our godaddy hosted web site. Adding one more is just that many more passwords and admin panels to remember.

In my opinion, nothing beats the github interface - with the ability to edit and commit from a web page and to send and apply pull requests from the web.

~Brian

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:58 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would prefer git, hosted either on SourceForge or elsewhere.  So
either option 2 or 3.

Nick (nick-h).

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

DS Blank
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There have been a couple of threads suggesting that we move from
> subversion to git.
>
> What are your views?
>
> The options are:
>
> 1. Continue to use subversion.
> 2. Convert to using git.
> 3. Convert to using git, and move the hosting from SourceForge.
> 4. Don't mind.
>
> Please keep your answers short and include your SourceForge login, if
> you have one.

I did not want to have to switch from svn (I haven't been using svn
for that long, having learned on cvs), but colleagues on another
project convinced me that it would be worthwhile. It took a couple of
weeks to adjust, but now I prefer git and a good associated website.

I think git and a good website (we are using bitbucket.org) are better
than svn because:

* I can easily switch (git stash) between projects I am working on;
that can really speed up development
* I like commenting on the commits
* I like commenting on lines of code in the commit
* It has an integrated issue tracker (automatically refers to commits
and issues, and can close it for you)
* makes it easy to get patches (pull request) from other users
* can edit a file on the website

But the biggest motivation for me is that it makes development much
more of a interactive, community process. Making forking a good thing
was a brilliant idea, and with good management tools, makes it easy to
see and merge what others are doing. It is a much more compelling move
if one gets a good website with the switch.

So, I vote for #3.

-Doug

> Regards,
>
> Nick.

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Jiri Kastner
git: +1
there is also new code review gui for github projects - gerrithub.io
 j.

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Some months ago, we listed some limitations[1] before using
GitHub[2]/gitorious!

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30518256
[2] https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service

Le mar. 29 oct. 2013 at 18:52,Nick Hall <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> There have been a couple of threads suggesting that we move from
> subversion to git.
>
> What are your views?
>
> The options are:
>
> 1. Continue to use subversion.
> 2. Convert to using git.
> 3. Convert to using git, and move the hosting from SourceForge.
> 4. Don't mind.
>
> Please keep your answers short and include your SourceForge login, if
> you have one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick.

> Android is increasing in popularity, but the open development
> platform that
> developers love is also attractive to malware creators. Download this
> white
> paper to learn more about secure code signing practices that can help
> keep
> Android apps secure.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=65839951&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Paul Franklin-5
> The options are:
>
> 1. Continue to use subversion.

I vote we continue to use subversion.
(paul-franklin)

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Gary Burton
I don't know git so don't have any feel for it's merits and benefits with respect to svn. Are the benefits enough to overcome the inertia of learning and moving the project to git?

I find svn functional and doesn't give me reasons to look at the alternatives, so I vote 1.

gburto01

Gary

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

I only have used git clone command for installing pygobject, gtkspell,
osm-gps-map, etc ... About Gramps project, I don't mind!

So, I vote for (4.) [or (1.) and (2.)] ...

Note, we also need to find an alternative to svn2cl for generating
Changelog files:

$ svn2cl --reparagraph --include-rev --authors=data/authors.xml
$ cd po
$ svn2cl --reparagraph --include-rev --authors=../data/authors.xml
$ cd ..

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=What_to_do_for_a_release#Changelog_and_NEWS_file

Should we also try to move 'gramps-addons'?

Jérôme

écrit :

> There have been a couple of threads suggesting that we move from
> subversion to git.
>
> What are your views?
>
> The options are:
>
> 1. Continue to use subversion.
> 2. Convert to using git.
> 3. Convert to using git, and move the hosting from SourceForge.
> 4. Don't mind.
>
> Please keep your answers short and include your SourceForge login, if
> you have one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick.

> Android is increasing in popularity, but the open development
> platform that
> developers love is also attractive to malware creators. Download this
> white
> paper to learn more about secure code signing practices that can help
> keep
> Android apps secure.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=65839951&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Benny Malengier
I vote 2

As to 2 or 3. Many projects use SF only for hosting files it seems. So, even if we move to github/gitorious/bitbucket (I use all 3 for different projects already actually), SF for file hosting is still interesting, because SF never made problems about our data use (specifically gramps-addons downloads !!).
The web interface of SF is shit, but truth be told, I don't use the one of github/gitorious/bitbucket, only need git gui locally for my needs. Perhaps we can ask SF if they plan online edit in the near future if people think that is a killer feature for casual development?

For developers, once used to git, they will not look back. For simple tasks, only knowing the very basics ( https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnCrashCourse ) seems to work, though I see some of my students messing up enormously with branches, so some handholding (good doc for translators, eg branch per translation) will be needed. As Brian indicated, if the result is git, we need a conversion manager, and it will not be me.

Benny

écrit :
> There have been a couple of threads suggesting that we move from
> subversion to git.
>
> What are your views?
>
> The options are:
>
> 1. Continue to use subversion.
> 2. Convert to using git.
> 3. Convert to using git, and move the hosting from SourceForge.
> 4. Don't mind.
>
> Please keep your answers short and include your SourceForge login, if
> you have one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick.

> Android is increasing in popularity, but the open development
> platform that
> developers love is also attractive to malware creators. Download this
> white
> paper to learn more about secure code signing practices that can help
> keep
> Android apps secure.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=65839951&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

Adam Stein-3
If git is picked, we might want to follow the branching model at:

I've used it before and it works really well and is easy to do.

As for a git GUI, never really used one.  Do everything command line.

On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 15:32 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:

> [...]
>         >
>         http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=65839951&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Gramps-devel mailing list
>         > [hidden email]
>         > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
>         >

>         Android is increasing in popularity, but the open development
>         platform that
>         developers love is also attractive to malware creators.
>         Download this white
>         paper to learn more about secure code signing practices that
>         can help keep
>         Android apps secure.
>         http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=65839951&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Adam ([hidden email])

Re: POLL: What revision control software should we use for Gramps development?

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Benny Malengier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I vote 2
>
> As to 2 or 3. Many projects use SF only for hosting files it seems. So, even
> if we move to github/gitorious/bitbucket (I use all 3 for different projects
> already actually), SF for file hosting is still interesting, because SF
> never made problems about our data use (specifically gramps-addons downloads
> !!).

I agree that it has been nice that SourceForge has been fairly
reliable from the command line, and they have never given us issue
with the somewhat alternative way that we use the SVN to serve our
addon listings and downloads.

As we think about some changes, it might be nice to move the serving
of the listings to a little server-side script. Where could that go?
Currently the listing.LANG is generated by touching all addons. It
would be better if the listings for a particular language could be
gathered on the fly, or at periodic times (every 10 minutes), or when
a commit triggers it.

If we have each addon have its own listing in various languages, then
a dynamic script could look something like:

LANG = HTTP.get("lang")
for addon in contrib:
    if exists(addon + "/listing.txt):
        for line in open(addon + "/listing.txt"):
            if line.startswith(LANG):
                yield line...

So, it would need to have access to either an updated repository
directly, or to an interface over the internet. The downloads could
then also be served independently of the repository. (We could even
put the URL in listing so that each one could come from anywhere). We
would need a server-side URL that we control.

Would this server-side script architecture be worthwhile? Or just keep
using a repository as a file server?

> The web interface of SF is shit, but truth be told, I don't use the one of
> github/gitorious/bitbucket, only need git gui locally for my needs. Perhaps
> we can ask SF if they plan online edit in the near future if people think
> that is a killer feature for casual development?

If SourceForge had definite plans to better support git, that sounds
like a fine path.

> For developers, once used to git, they will not look back. For simple tasks,
> only knowing the very basics (
> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnCrashCourse ) seems to work,
> though I see some of my students messing up enormously with branches, so
> some handholding (good doc for translators, eg branch per translation) will
> be needed. As Brian indicated, if the result is git, we need a conversion
> manager, and it will not be me.

I would certainly help with any transitions.

-Doug