Parents have a son, but the son doesn't have parents.

Parents have a son, but the son doesn't have parents.

Martnal
I attach a small .gramps XML file containing 9 people, all long dead. It includes John 'Watchmaker' Loughborough and his wife Isabella Lindsay and seven children.

If I select John 'Watchmaker' Loughborough from the People View and then go to the Charts View (Either Pedigree or Graph) it shows him, and you can jump to any of his seven children. If I select Thomas "Wig" Loughborough it then shows him and his two parents.

If I then go back to John 'Watchmaker' Loughborough and jump to the child and select Ralph Lindsay Loughborough it does not show HIS two parents.

xxx.gramps

I've been using GRAMPS for many months, but I did add this family quite a while ago, so I hope I didn't make a novice mistake.

GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1
Python: 3.5.2 (default, Nov  1 2016, 01:48:05)  ...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: win32
Windows 10

Martin

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Re: Parents have a son, but the son doesn't have parents.

Dave Scheipers
Hi Martin,

Ralph Lindsey is connected as a child to TWO families.

F0083 John and Isabella  and
F0089 with no parents,

The F0089 family is the first in the list so you see the empty parent family first but the second family IS there.

Hope this helps. Dave

xxx.gramps <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4680175/xxx.gramps>

I've been using GRAMPS for many months, but I did add this family quite a
while ago, so I hope I didn't make a novice mistake.

GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1
Python: 3.5.2 (default, Nov  1 2016, 01:48:05)  ...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: win32
Windows 10

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Parents have a son, but the son doesn't have parents.

Martnal
Dave, (yet again), and John, thank you both for your diagnosis of my
problem. You are both correct, I removed the extra family and all was
well.  VERY OBSERVANT.  Is there any way of using existing Gramps tools,
that I can check for any further existence of this problem?  It was one
of my very earliest families.

Martin

On 09/06/2017 20:47, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Ralph Lindsey is connected as a child to TWO families.
>
> F0083 John and Isabella  and
> F0089 with no parents,
>
> The F0089 family is the first in the list so you see the empty parent
> family first but the second family IS there.
>
> Hope this helps. Dave
>
> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Martnal <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I attach a small .gramps XML file containing 9 people, all long
>     dead. It
>     includes John 'Watchmaker' Loughborough and his wife Isabella
>     Lindsay and
>     seven children.
>
>     If I select John 'Watchmaker' Loughborough from the People View
>     and then go
>     to the Charts View (Either Pedigree or Graph) it shows him, and
>     you can jump
>     to any of his seven children. If I select Thomas "Wig"
>     Loughborough it then
>     shows him and his two parents.
>
>     If I then go back to John 'Watchmaker' Loughborough and jump to
>     the child
>     and select Ralph Lindsay Loughborough it does not show HIS two
>     parents.
>
>     xxx.gramps
>     <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4680175/xxx.gramps
>     <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4680175/xxx.gramps>>
>
>     I've been using GRAMPS for many months, but I did add this family
>     quite a
>     while ago, so I hope I didn't make a novice mistake.
>
>     GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1
>     Python: 3.5.2 (default, Nov  1 2016, 01:48:05)  ...
>     BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
>     LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
>     OS: win32
>     Windows 10
>
>     Martin
>

>     -----
>

>     Martin, SW London
>
>     I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.
>
>     I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool),
>     Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London),
>     Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett
>     (Middlesborough and Prescot).
>     --

Martin

---

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Re: Parents have a son, but the son doesn't have parents.

Dave Scheipers
Hi Martin,

Glad to help.

I think you could create a family filter looking for Mothers with ID's NOT "I" and do the same for Fathers. Then a filter combining the two with both needing to be true. This will give you a list of the families with no parents. With the list you would need to manually check who is a child of the "Family" and why.

I have several of these (more than I thought) with a few children  when I know they are siblings but have not found their parents, For these Families, I created a Tag "Related Siblings (Unknown Parents)" and set its color to Red. So running the above filters, I get a list a families with no parents. Hopefully they are all red showing it's a known issue and I would only need to look at the non-tagged "Families".

Hope this helps, Dave