Pedigree chart for the web

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pedigree chart for the web

liderbug
I've just finished V-1.798 of my pedigree chart.  It's a PHP script and uses [yourtree].ged file.
Got it down to about 200 lines of code.

It scans the ged file to build a select list (you have to do that once).  After that it
includes that list for each load of the page.   I've only made it a 3 gen chart (could be 4).

It shows Person with spouse & children, parents & GP.  I have a basic include the onMouseover code for Indiv information pop up.  Don't know if anyone is interested or not.  PM me if you are and I'll send the URL.

Chuck L.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pedigree chart for the web

Doug-11
liderbug wrote:

> I've just finished V-1.798 of my pedigree chart.  It's a PHP script and uses
> [yourtree].ged file.
> Got it down to about 200 lines of code.
>
> It scans the ged file to build a select list (you have to do that once).
> After that it
> includes that list for each load of the page.   I've only made it a 3 gen
> chart (could be 4).
>
> It shows Person with spouse & children, parents & GP.  I have a basic
> include the onMouseover code for Indiv information pop up.  Don't know if
> anyone is interested or not.  PM me if you are and I'll send the URL.
>
> Chuck L.
>  
can you give us the URL?

Doug


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pedigree chart for the web

liderbug
In reply to this post by liderbug
I've put the real thing up on my site

http://www.blackforest-co.com/ft/

Understand please ... I haven't done anything to pretty it up or any bells & whistles.  But the base design is there.  I would be happy to share - suggestions - additions.  I consider it to be opensource (ie like Linux).
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pedigree chart for the web

Colin Woods-2

URL returns a 403 forbidden for me.

On Thursday 19 February 2009 14:09:01 liderbug wrote:

> I've put the real thing up on my site

>

> http://www.blackforest-co.com/ft/

>

> Understand please ... I haven't done anything to pretty it up or any bells

> & whistles. But the base design is there. I would be happy to share -

> suggestions - additions. I consider it to be opensource (ie like Linux).


--


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pedigree chart for the web

Duncan Lithgow-5
2009/2/19 Colin Woods <[hidden email]>:
> URL returns a 403 forbidden for me.

Works for me, but the page has no useful contents, just the empty tree diagram

Duncan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pedigree chart for the web

Brad Rogers
In reply to this post by Colin Woods-2
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:56:33 +0000
Colin Woods <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Colin,

> URL returns a 403 forbidden for me.

You're not alone.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"

It couldn't adapt so it couldn't survive
The Great British Mistake - The Adverts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pedigree chart for the web

liderbug
In reply to this post by Duncan Lithgow-5
Due to the amount of hacking and spam I have quite a few IP ranges listed in RIPE blocked.  PM me with your hostname/IP and I'll pull a brick out of the wall.

... empty tree diagram    ... Did you click on Submit - top left???  PM me

Duncan Lithgow-5 wrote
2009/2/19 Colin Woods <gramps@lisnamonaghan.com>:
> URL returns a 403 forbidden for me.

Works for me, but the page has no useful contents, just the empty tree diagram

Duncan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
Gramps-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pedigree chart for the web

Emmanuel Briot
In reply to this post by liderbug
liderbug wrote:
> I've just finished V-1.798 of my pedigree chart.  It's a PHP script and uses
> [yourtree].ged file.
> Got it down to about 200 lines of code.
>
> It scans the ged file to build a select list (you have to do that once).
> After that it
> includes that list for each load of the page.   I've only made it a 3 gen
> chart (could be 4).

If you are interested, I have started a similar project at
http://briot.github.com/geneapro/ (the sources are available through git).

It is in python/django for the server part, but you already have that. However
it generates an interactive pedigree chart (or an interactive fanchart,
whichever you chose), unlimited number of generations (depending on what your
server is able to provide), and the user can click to change current focus
person. This is done using extensive javascript (jQuery) and SVG graphs, so
works best with Firefox and Opera. Feel free to include the parts of it that you
are interested in in your own project if you wish, just keep the credit where
relevant.

If you have further questions I'll be happy to discuss that by email, but
probably off the list since this is not (yet) directly related to gramps,
although that's the only gedcom import I actually tested since that's where my
own data is

regards,

Emmanuel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pedigree chart for the web

Benny Malengier


2009/2/19 Emmanuel Briot <[hidden email]>
liderbug wrote:
> I've just finished V-1.798 of my pedigree chart.  It's a PHP script and uses
> [yourtree].ged file.
> Got it down to about 200 lines of code.
>
> It scans the ged file to build a select list (you have to do that once).
> After that it
> includes that list for each load of the page.   I've only made it a 3 gen
> chart (could be 4).

If you are interested, I have started a similar project at
http://briot.github.com/geneapro/ (the sources are available through git).

It is in python/django for the server part, but you already have that. However
it generates an interactive pedigree chart (or an interactive fanchart,
whichever you chose), unlimited number of generations (depending on what your
server is able to provide), and the user can click to change current focus
person. This is done using extensive javascript (jQuery) and SVG graphs, so
works best with Firefox and Opera. Feel free to include the parts of it that you
are interested in in your own project if you wish, just keep the credit where
relevant.

If you have further questions I'll be happy to discuss that by email, but
probably off the list since this is not (yet) directly related to gramps,
although that's the only gedcom import I actually tested since that's where my
own data is

I really wonder why people keep using GEDCOM to do these kind of things. The Gramps xml is custom xml so all classes to manipulate xml can be used from the get-go. (http://docs.python.org/library/xml.sax.html , equal things exist for php or perl).

As this is django, you have it even more easy, you could just copy over the gramps importxml python file, and use it to store data in your own backend instead of the gramps bsddb backend.

Note that I started with django a bit, and would find it interesting to have a data model that maps with the gramps database. This would allow us to set up a sql (mysql, postgresql, ...) database from the GRAMPS data, something several people are interested in. The requirement would hence be that what is in the gramps xml file can be stored in the django data model. Any idea if your work is a nice start for that?

Benny



regards,

Emmanuel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pedigree chart for the web

Emmanuel Briot
I really wonder why people keep using GEDCOM to do these kind of things.
> The Gramps xml is custom xml so all classes to manipulate xml can be
> used from the get-go. (http://docs.python.org/library/xml.sax.html ,
> equal things exist for php or perl).


Because GEDCOM is the de facto standard, despite all its limitations ? I would
guess that most people, including myself, start with the idea that their
application can have an importer from various formats, including gramps. But the
common denominator that gives access to most applications out there is GEDCOM,
so we'll end up needing it anyway. Since parsing GEDCOM is relatively trivial,
and processing its data is about the same amount of work as processing the
GRAMPS one, I started with GEDCOM. I suppose it is mostly the same for other
people playing with genealogy software.

> As this is django, you have it even more easy, you could just copy over
> the gramps importxml python file, and use it to store data in your own
> backend instead of the gramps bsddb backend.

Thanks for the pointer. Indeed the difficulty is not to parse GEDCOM (about 300
lines of code in my case including check that proper nesting is done for the
tags), but it could be much smaller. Likewise, parsing XML is of course trivial
nowadays. The difficulty is what to do with the data once you have it, and
that's the part which is application specific.

> Note that I started with django a bit, and would find it interesting to
> have a data model that maps with the gramps database.

Yes, there were discussions about that recently I believe which Douglas Bank
started.


> This would allow
> us to set up a sql (mysql, postgresql, ...) database from the GRAMPS
> data, something several people are interested in. The requirement would
> hence be that what is in the gramps xml file can be stored in the django
> data model. Any idea if your work is a nice start for that?

As much as I would like, I don't think that's the case. I have chosen to stay
relatively close to the Gentech data model, which you might be familiar with.
This is relatively different from the traditional model. For instance, the
notion of Family doesn't exist in the database model itself, it is represented
through other means.

The part in my small project that could be reused, at the moment, is the
interactive display of fanchart and pedigree chart in a web page.

However, writing a data model in django has proven relatively easy for me, so it
probably would be a good starting point if someone is interested in moving away
from bsddb. Writing the queries efficiently in SQL is not so easy.

regards,

Emmanuel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA
-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise
-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation
-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFAD
http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users