People View Colour Contrast/Visibility

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi

Been playing with tag colours on people so I can indicate family, non
family, unsure etc but finding the same problem I had with autocad with
poor colour seperation/definition against a white background of course
in CAD this is dealt with by inverting to a black background and white
as the default line colour with all other colours much more visible on
screen just wondered if anybody had ever tried this in Gramps
particularly on the People View

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

Re: People View Colour Contrast/Visibility

John W. Kitz-3
Phil,

On 2018-05-19 22:46, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
> Hi
>
> Been playing with tag colours on people so I can indicate family, non
> family, unsure etc but finding the same problem I had with autocad
> with poor colour seperation/definition against a white background of
> course in CAD this is dealt with by inverting to a black background
> and white as the default line colour with all other colours much more
> visible on screen just wondered if anybody had ever tried this in
> Gramps particularly on the People View

Since some time I am using tags and associated shades of colors to
distinguish between the three main spelling variations of the surnames
I'm researching. During the initial stages of adopting this way of doing
things I found that certain colors, such as shades of yellow, tend to
cause text in those colors to become poorly legible against the white
background of the people and families views.

After trying some different colors and shades thereof I found a set of
colors that meets my needs. Nonetheless I think it would be a good idea
if the default out-off-the-box, i.e non-custom, colors would be
reconsidered in some upcoming release.

> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries

Regards, Jk.

Re: People View Colour Contrast/Visibility

Paul Smith
On 2018-05-19 22:46, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
> Hi
>
> Been playing with tag colours on people so I can indicate family, non
> family, unsure etc but finding the same problem I had with autocad
> with poor colour seperation/definition against a white background of
> course in CAD this is dealt with by inverting to a black background
> and white as the default line colour with all other colours much more
> visible on screen just wondered if anybody had ever tried this in
> Gramps particularly on the People View

Since some time I am using tags and associated shades of colors to
distinguish between the three main spelling variations of the surnames I'm
researching. During the initial stages of adopting this way of doing things
I found that certain colors, such as shades of yellow, tend to cause text in
those colors to become poorly legible against the white background of the
people and families views.

After trying some different colors and shades thereof I found a set of
colors that meets my needs. Nonetheless I think it would be a good idea if
the default out-off-the-box, i.e non-custom, colors would be reconsidered in
some upcoming release.

> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries

Regards, Jk.

[PDS] As someone who is slightly colour blind with a colleague who is very
colour blind, the ability to have 'colour schemes' would be a sensible
add-on (assuming we can't at present - it's not an area I've ever looked
at/for).  The minimal set might be:
1. standard
2. colour-blind
3. high contrast (for poor eyesight in general)
4. custom (and ability to add more customs).

For #2 and #3, the RNIB and similar groups will have suggestions and there
are tools that can simulated colour blindness for testing purposes by faking
your screen mappings so that, for example, all colour is removed and you are
left looking at a '(red)grey on (green)grey - where's my text ;-) ' type
screen.

The trick to allowing colours to be defined by users is to be able to able
to identify and describe various aspects of Gramps in such a way that
colours can be edited with the user getting what they expect, when they
expect it.  To give a good, and bad, example:

- Good - Windows shows you a small 'mock screen' for common settings that
changes as you tweak colours so you know what colour you are putting where.
- Bad - A popular text editor called Sublime requires you to understand
exactly what the authors were thinking when they assigned some meaningless
textual names to bits of the screen or the text on it, which you are
supported to understand so that you know where that nice shade of blue will
actually end up.

Paul DS.

Re: People View Colour Contrast/Visibility

paul womack
John W. Kitz wrote:

> Phil,
>
> On 2018-05-19 22:46, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Been playing with tag colours on people so I can indicate family, non
>> family, unsure etc but finding the same problem I had with autocad
>> with poor colour seperation/definition against a white background of
>> course in CAD this is dealt with by inverting to a black background
>> and white as the default line colour with all other colours much more
>> visible on screen just wondered if anybody had ever tried this in
>> Gramps particularly on the People View
>
> Since some time I am using tags and associated shades of colors to distinguish between the three main spelling variations of the surnames I'm researching. During the initial stages of adopting this way of doing things I found that certain colors, such as shades of yellow, tend to cause text in those colors to become poorly legible against the white background of the people and families views.
>
> After trying some different colors and shades thereof I found a set of colors that meets my needs. Nonetheless I think it would be a good idea if the default out-off-the-box, i.e non-custom, colors would be reconsidered in some upcoming release.

Some good stuff here, esp "P. Green-Armytage (2010): A Colour Alphabet and the Limits of Colour Coding. // Colour: Design & Creativity (5) (2010): 10, 1-23"

https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/3682/where-can-i-find-a-large-palette-set-of-contrasting-colors-for-coloring-many-d

   BugBear

Re: People View Colour Contrast/Visibility

Gramps does have some level of support for different color themes, it is just not quite as easy as some would like.

For Linux, Gramps uses the usual theme setup; somewhat described in the link below.

Paul C.

On 2018-05-19 22:46, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
> [...]

screen.

The trick to allowing colours to be defined by users is to be able to able
to identify and describe various aspects of Gramps in such a way that
colours can be edited with the user getting what they expect, when they
expect it.  To give a good, and bad, example:

- Good - Windows shows you a small 'mock screen' for common settings that
changes as you tweak colours so you know what colour you are putting where.
- Bad - A popular text editor called Sublime requires you to understand
exactly what the authors were thinking when they assigned some meaningless
textual names to bits of the screen or the text on it, which you are
supported to understand so that you know where that nice shade of blue will
actually end up.

Paul DS.

Re: People View Colour Contrast/Visibility

Hi Paul

On Linux Ubuntu the link from the wiki article (5) takes you to a set of
instructions that did not work ie elementary-dark-theme could not be found

Tried what looked to be an equivalent but these themes create other
problems (chart colours being one) and are not what I was looking for

I only wanted to invert the colour scheme on the People view to allow
clearer vision on tag colours I am more than happy with the rest of the
appearance of Gramps and indeed my PC have found a whole variety of
schemes will try a few to see if there is an acceptable compromise

Please do not waste anymore of your time on this

Thanks
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries