People with no official family name

Johan Vromans
Hi,

Sometimes I encounter people do not have official names, simply
because at that time names were not yet registered.

So I have people with names like "Dirk Jansz" (the latter meaning: son
of Jan), whose father is "Jan Dirksz" (indeed, son of Dirk), whose
father is "Dirk Jansz" and so on.

My question is: should these people be treated as people without
family names, or is it customary to consider "Jansz" and so on as the
family name?

Thanks for your advice.

-- Johan

Re: People with no official family name

Gerald Britton-2
It's an interesting question.  I have some in my family tree as well.
(Old Welsh - 10th century and before).  I just left off the family
name

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Johan Vromans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes I encounter people do not have official names, simply
> because at that time names were not yet registered.
>
> So I have people with names like "Dirk Jansz" (the latter meaning: son
> of Jan), whose father is "Jan Dirksz" (indeed, son of Dirk), whose
> father is "Dirk Jansz" and so on.
>
> My question is: should these people be treated as people without
> family names, or is it customary to consider "Jansz" and so on as the
> family name?
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> -- Johan

Re: People with no official family name

Espen Berg-2
2009/1/16 Johan Vromans <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes I encounter people do not have official names, simply
> because at that time names were not yet registered.
>
> So I have people with names like "Dirk Jansz" (the latter meaning: son
> of Jan), whose father is "Jan Dirksz" (indeed, son of Dirk), whose
> father is "Dirk Jansz" and so on.
>
> My question is: should these people be treated as people without
> family names, or is it customary to consider "Jansz" and so on as the
> family name?
>
> Thanks for your advice.

Hi johan

The question you raised is also relevant for Norwegian genealogists,
and we never agree.  There is no absolute "correct" solution which is
superior compared to other solutions.  Before 1900 Norwegians were
christened with patronym as surname, but in real life, they very often
used their farm name as surname.  I choose to register the farm name
of where a person was born as the surname.  This is my choice, and
other might disagree.

The reason for my choice is mostly because I have quite a lot of
people in my database, and a very limited amount of different
patronyms.  My choice is just as a method to easier distinguish
between the people.

Espen

Re: People with no official family name

Benny Malengier
I was in the belief the Patronymic entry in the name editor was for that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronymic.
I guess you need to find something that works for you. You can group names with the group feature in the name editor, so leaving the familyname blank does not mean these people must be sorted that way.
If you look in the default name format (display tab in preferences) you see patronymic is part of the default.

Benny